Dyrford and Arcanum Main Theme

There is more than a thematic similarity between these two pieces of music.  Is there subconscious emulation or is it an intended compliment to the earlier work?  It's especially noticeable in the third minute of Dyrford.  Maybe it's just my imagination?

Dyrford

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFYv7JhV5Lc

Arcanum Main Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw

Edited by septembervirgin

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

They are both soft string orchestra pieces. It's not a genre which offers much room for variety or originality. Other than the genre I can't really hear any similarities... actually I can't hear any clear differences either, so I guess they are similar in a sense all generic background music is. It's not meant to be memorable; it's there to establish peaceful atmosphere to the scene and these achieve that goal just fine.

Edited by Haerski
  • Like 1

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

The one question that arises for me from the Dyrford refrains tragic air is, what has passed in this place to lend it such a melancholy ambience?

Edit: Personally I don't see too much of a similarity, other than a mournful string arrangement, that said my ear does not have the nuance and training of a professional musician.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I don't really see a similarity other than the orchestration and being slower mid-tempo songs.

The actual unobtrusive melodies in each don't actually sound much alike to me.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Lord Harond's daughter went missing

Seems a little simple for such a tragic air, unless perhaps the lady in question was a strong souled individual whose loss has sparked a series of catastrophes for the little village, or maybe resulted in some kind of malady inflicting Lord Harond perhaps. I certainly look forward to definitive proof in the Winter.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Edit: Personally I don't see too much of a similarity, other than a mournful string arrangement, that said my ear does not have the nuance and training of a professional musician.

What does it say about me that your words evoked the image of a trainer with a whip, commanding a person-sized pair of ears to balance upon pedestals and jump through flaming hoops? :)

I am interested in finding out all about the settlement's atmosphere and background, as well.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u