The music in the demo sounds really good btw. Nice job Justin! Granted, I don't really have any expertise or grounding in composition and have absolutely no background in music theory. I only listen to the stuff.

Thanks Leferd!  I'm glad you liked it.  That's the beauty of music, and art in general - you either like what you hear/see or you don't.  No special knowledge required :)

The overall tone of the S/T seems quite subtle. Are there any tracks where you've used a less classically soundstaged mixing/production with more forward instruments?

The main menu music is nice, kind of funny as the IE games all had really sort of confronting main themes, except for Baldur's Gate which was sort of 50/50. I think the more subtle menu music is a good choice.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

The overall tone of the S/T seems quite subtle. Are there any tracks where you've used a less classically soundstaged mixing/production with more forward instruments?

The main menu music is nice, kind of funny as the IE games all had really sort of confronting main themes, except for Baldur's Gate which was sort of 50/50. I think the more subtle menu music is a good choice.

There are some, but generally this is how I write music for this project.  It's functionally designed to be background music on the surface, but there's depth to it if you choose to turn your attention to the music alone. 

• Like 2

To be honest, I find it extremely hard to judge the music based on videos where the sound was really really low and mostly dominated by J.E. Sawyer's dulcet* tones. Will have to wait for the backer beta to judge, assuming it'll include the main theme and the area music. I can't imagine why it wouldn't, but it's best not to assume anything at this point.

* not really dulcet

There are some, but generally this is how I write music for this project.  It's functionally designed to be background music on the surface, but there's depth to it if you choose to turn your attention to the music alone.

Yeah thought so. As long as the music is evocative of the environments/areas and tone of the game at that specific time, it works for me.

• 6 months later...

So, is this the finale version of the main theme ?

Except the part between 1:50 to 2:02 (sounds like Conan OST),  I don't like it. Nothing in this theme express the epicness of starting an adventure.

Will it be possible with mods to swap tracks between the old IE games and PoE ?

Edited by Avtom

^I like it.  I like the way it builds up to the more 'epic' part from a gentle start.

Sounds lots better with the orchestra involved now than it did before - I can hum along now so I must be 'feeling it' more :)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Except the part between 1:50 to 2:02 (sounds like Conan OST),  I don't like it. Nothing in this theme express the epicness of starting an adventure.

not the final version, he just submitted a new version that is richer and fuller sounding yesterday internally.

Yes you will be able to modify the soundtrack if you want to.

^I like it.  I like the way it builds up to the more 'epic' part from a gentle start.

Sounds lots better with the orchestra involved now than it did before - I can hum along now so I must be 'feeling it' more :)

That's an excellent sign, thank you!

I really like the theme music as well. 

Congratulations to the composer.

The battle music however, is slowly starting to irritate me (I think it's inherent to the fact that it repeats so often).

Yes.  It's because you're hearing the same one over and over and over and over and over....  :)  The main game won't have this problem nearly as badly.

• Like 1

If you need more epicness, you can always just swap in "DOH-vah-KINNN! DOH-vah-KINN!!! HAH-hoh-HEEE-HAH-ho-HAHH... DAH-doh-DAHHHH!"

*Note, lyrics may not actually be "hah"s and "dah"s after "doh-vah-kin".*

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Hi everybody,
For the nostalgic :-) , I am rewriting Baldur's Gate 1 soundtrack, listening to the original tracks and trying to play them in my studio. This is an attempt to create some MIDIs of this beautiful soundtrack by Michael Hoenig.
I hope you like this reckless work and I am waiting for the relase Pillars Of Eternity!
Have you all a nice day!
Enjoy: http://youtu.be/6JNVxZ2WB1E

0.jpg?time=1423182982899

• Like 2

Will the soundtrack from the original Kickstarter trailer be used in game anywhere? I quite liked the metronomic cadence of it, hinting at the steady ticking away of eternity.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Ah excellent, much obliged Mr Bell.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

not the final version, he just submitted a new version that is richer and fuller sounding yesterday internally.

needs some kettle drums to sound more like conan

perhaps justin can add some kettle drums in expansion music. nothing says over-the-top, campy-grade, epic like kettle drums.  makes falkon happy.  heck, Gromnir wouldn't mind such, but we likely would giggle... not that we giggle.  is more manly and epic to guffaw, yes?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally i found it!

I was charmed by this theme since he was playing on the first video ever showed.

It really sounds magical and i hope it will cover a magical moment in the game, maybe at nightime.

For me music plays an important role in games and this one really makes me look forward to the entire soundtrack.  :) I still remember every single track from Baldur's Gate and Icewind dale, I hope with PE it will be similar. 

• Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Finally i found it!

I was charmed by this theme since he was playing on the first video ever showed.

It really sounds magical and i hope it will cover a magical moment in the game, maybe at nightime.

I really liked it, especially the BGII-directed nod in the rythm that it starts with. I didn't expect the ambient sounds at the end though, I don't know maybe they tie in with a specific scene where the music is used? I also wonder if the choral singing is some specific trait of Glanfathan folklore, or is it some sort of more "modern" religious singing which has adopted and converted an older Glanfathan folklore tune?

• Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

• 1 month later...