Dragon Age: Inquistion

Rosbjerg

So even Monte falls to the deathly trap of romance.

:lol:

Funniest post of the week, Monte welcome to the army of the promancers. Monte you have loads of work to do to redeem yourself but I am confident we can find a place for you

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Don't forget ticks, and I don't mean them awful bugs.

Last I heard the cool kids were talking about proccing :p

Ahem. See my post right above yours? :dancing:

Nah, I'm ignoring you.

No, not really, didn't notice it. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Or she just had surprise buttsex from an invisible man.

• Like 5
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

An update from David Gaider : http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/113639-david-gaider-on-dragon-age-inquisition-s-current-state.html

Every cut feels like it’s reducing the overall quality of the game, until there are so many of them you feel like you’re producing a piece of crap—until you remind yourself that every game goes through this, and the alternative is shipping late or not at all.

Surprised he'd admit that, and doesn't seem to bode well.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

An update from David Gaider : http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/113639-david-gaider-on-dragon-age-inquisition-s-current-state.html

Every cut feels like it’s reducing the overall quality of the game, until there are so many of them you feel like you’re producing a piece of crap—until you remind yourself that every game goes through this, and the alternative is shipping late or not at all.

Gaider has said that applies to every game he's worked on.  So I don't think any conclusions about DA:I specifically could be drawn from that little tidbit.

• Like 2

I'm not sure it's literally every game, may be the last three games. I know even KOTOR had a planned planet cut, but that was in the early stages and I think only the story was written and nothing else was done.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I'm not sure it's literally every game, may be the last three games. I know even KOTOR had a planned planet cut, but that was in the early stages and I think only the story was written and nothing else was done.

Well, all games that both a) have a modicum of ambition and b) want to be polished end up with a lot of stuff on the cutting room floor, and everything that's cut was something someone worked on.  I imagine what Gaider says there has fairly broad application across the industry.

• Like 4

Why?

That's why the phrase is "kill your darlings", not "kill your things you're decent with".

• Like 4

The off-cuts can always be re-packaged as DLC, right?

Not always. Cut content doesn't always repurpose well, it might be too particular to a storyline of the main game or too small to bother with. And they might have other DLC plans.

So it depends.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Poor Bioware, always trying to sit on two chairs at once. 

http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3432885/dragon-age-inquisition-will-feature-complex-romance-and-characters-with-one-solid-sexual-orientation-bioware

Hamsters and rangers everywhere rejoice, for "characters with one solid sexual orientation" have now become a game feature that has to be pointed out.

Is there anything from DAII they they haven't made an effort to distance themselves from?

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 4

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

even a game as well-liked as bg2 got sizable cuts.  you probably thought to yourself that those wilderness maps that became available after you returned from the underdark felt strangely empty. well, those maps originally had more content... considerable more. am recalling that gaider also mentioned some material that woulda' developed irenicus more/better also got cut. 

frequently, the creator o' a thing is least able to see when cuts is necessary. as an example, some authors need an editor. an author has this Vision and the vision in his (aside: masculine pronouns in English is technically also appropriate as gender neutral, so am not being sexist by saying "his,") head is perfect. the thing is, it ain't likely to be perfect for anybody but the author. an editor is helpful in making perfect vision accessible to somebody other than the author. 'course, james joyce spent years trying to get dubliners published the way he wrote it 'cause he wouldn't let some jackarse editor/publisher mess with his stuff. 

*shrug*

games is kinda different 'cause we suspect most cut material is not to make game better, but to save money/time. developers Vision ain't being altered in an attempt to make better, but simple to make smaller-- cut least necessary stuff.  well, guess what, developers is having a difficult time looking at their complete work and seeing bloat. 

perhaps developers should go ahead and from day 1 plan for amputation. add an extra arm or leg knowing that near end something is gonna need be cut. am not genuine serious, btw... not 'bout planning for bloat.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Is there anything from DAII they they haven't made an effort to distance themselves from?

"Dragon" is still in the title.

So is "Age".

And "Inquisition" has at least two I's.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Devious, they are.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Well, all games that both a) have a modicum of ambition and b) want to be polished end up with a lot of stuff on the cutting room floor, and everything that's cut was something someone worked on.  I imagine what Gaider says there has fairly broad application across the industry.

There's a difference between cutting fat and cutting bone. I guess we'll see which was the case here. I don't think you can make a great game without taking the time to get it right, cutting good content for the sake of profitability is something I expect from an assembly shop, not a crafted game. "Across the industry", sure, I think the tipping point where greed surpassed artistic integrity has happened some time ago.
  • Like 1

At the very least it will be a fun game.

I'm honestly of the view that DA:I is going to be an amazing game. I think Bioware has learnt from the past mistakes of DA2 and the gameplay and fun factor of DA:I is going to blow us away :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela