Dragon Age: Inquistion

Rosbjerg

I like Bruce, at least he's a nice troll. Can't say the same for others here. 

Thanks for the compliment but I'm not trolling, I'm serious about what I say and believe around Romance

But are you serious as cancer?

In this case yes, cancer is real and my view on Romance is real

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I know the kids in those romance threads discussing these games like they are a harem anime piss a lot of 'hardcore' gamers off. But sometimes the opponents of it come off like. "Ewww, girls!".

If you are going to have character driven stories and relationships it would be weird for romance not to be present at all.

• Like 3

I know the kids in those romance threads discussing these games like they are a harem anime piss a lot of 'hardcore' gamers off. But sometimes the opponents of it come off like. "Ewww, girls!".

If you are going to have character driven stories and relationships it would be weird for romance not to be present at all.

Or, increasingly, "eww, homos!"
  • Like 3

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm more of the "Ewww, emotions" sort.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Someone likes Game of Thrones a lot.

Yeah, the desire to play Jaime Lannister seemed strong in several posters on that thread. 

"What is best in life?"

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

"That is good! That is good."

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Fair enough, but i do hope that you can also roleplay as a "Open step, falcon on my arm and wind in my hair"-kinda guy too.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It's been said a lot of times, the problem is with the implementation.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Romance was a major factor in Final Fantasy X. While Tidus had horrid voice acting and the story could be really corny at times it was actually about romance. You didn't have choice in the matter but the two leads had a genuine romantic interaction leading to a bittersweet conclusion. 

Bioware's "romances" aren't about romance, because the dating sim mechanics they implement are the same type you'd find in a hentai game. Its a game mechanic leading to a reward and the reward you're led to expect is sex.

I don't have a problem with sex in games. Some of the events leading up to Witcher's sexy cards were hilarious. The cards themselves were a nerd bait and a joke at the same time. But they didn't pretend to be anything else. Geralt = James Bond in that universe and he gets the babes. Its part of the deal, like with Final Fantasy X - take it or leave it.

But even the implicit hypocrisy of Bioware fans clamoring for their "romances" is fine. The problem lies in the fact that Bioware romances are as a rule ****. They don't know how to write a good love story. They never have. The only romance they ever wrote that was tolerable was Jaheira and that was mostly because the character grew on you and developed over the span of two games.. The others are corny choose the right answer affairs with traumatized women, ice queens, blue space lesbians, practically every idiotic trope you could think of except a relationship between two normal human individuals.

It goes like this:

1) female NPC is neutral

2) 2 dialog lines later female NPC tells you her sad life story

3) 3 comforting lines filled with fake "I understand you" nonsense (which you automatically pick because they might as well be color coded for which one is the right one) later you're on top of her

4) 2 more lines are devoted to the relationship and the game leaves it at that  while the character might even get a perk now that you put her in order with your wang and your 15 minutes of comfort

/romance

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Didn't dao have "regen to max outside combat"? I see numerous people talking about it like it's a welcome reversion from da2, but the last time we've seen bio do non-regenerating health was... Kotor?

Yeah, I'm not sure why this is seen as a step forward other than making the game arbitrarily more "hardcore."  Wasn't it Avellone or Sawyer who pointed out that drinking a health potion when your health is low is neither difficult nor tactically interesting? To me, this should go into the dustbin of RPG features, along with "pre-buffing." 

I'd argue that hiding behind a chest-high-wall, sniffing up gravel, to get your health back up is just pants-on-head-retarded though. Any concept of challenge was removed amongst other things when they started to introduce that feature to Hitman or Splinter Cell. Regenerative Health is just dumb in my opinion.

Romance was a major factor in Final Fantasy X. While Tidus had horrid voice acting and the story could be really corny at times it was actually about romance. You didn't have choice in the matter but the two leads had a genuine romantic interaction leading to a bittersweet conclusion. 

Bioware's "romances" aren't about romance, because the dating sim mechanics they implement are the same type you'd find in a hentai game. Its a game mechanic leading to a reward and the reward you're led to expect is sex.

I don't have a problem with sex in games. Some of the events leading up to Witcher's sexy cards were hilarious. The cards themselves were a nerd bait and a joke at the same time. But they didn't pretend to be anything else. Geralt = James Bond in that universe and he gets the babes. Its part of the deal, like with Final Fantasy X - take it or leave it.

But even the implicit hypocrisy of Bioware fans clamoring for their "romances" is fine. The problem lies in the fact that Bioware romances are as a rule ****. They don't know how to write a good love story. They never have. The only romance they ever wrote that was tolerable was Jaheira and that was mostly because the character grew on you and developed over the span of two games.. The others are corny choose the right answer affairs with traumatized women, ice queens, blue space lesbians, practically every idiotic trope you could think of except a relationship between two normal human individuals.

That about sums up my earlier comment -- I do, however, believe it's something worthy to strive for in games but either it needs to serve the game from a story-aspect or need not be there at all I' say. The sex cards were dumb, and all the women had large enough bossoms you could lose your dog in and would jump on you at the slightest provocation for a quick nobbin'. But that's that.

Edited by TheChris92

Like an Englishman?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well I can agree about the quality of Bioware romances. The influence bar mini game like in DAO is dumb and makes everything feel mechanical rather than any sort of meaningful.

Also I know they want to have multiple options and options for all genders and all sexualities. But less is more (and not only for romances). A camp/spaceship/whatever in a Bioware game feels like a harem. Because all options have to be accommodated means nearly none can have real depth. The relationships are a side destruction that are disconnected from the world around them when they should be organically interwoven with the rest of the narrative.

I think part of the problem is the implicit assumption in the games that romance = sex.

They already acknowledge a few times in the DA series that sex /= romance, but they can't shake the converse (or is that contrapositive...?)

But part of this is - IMO - the view that the romance exists as an ego stroke and not a part of the story. The player is supposed to feel like they "win", which is why so many people see them as a sex minigame.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It goes like this:

1) female NPC is neutral

3) 3 comforting lines filled with fake "I understand you" nonsense (which you automatically pick because they might as well be color coded for which one is the right one) later you're on top of her

4) 2 more lines are devoted to the relationship and the game leaves it at that  while the character might even get a perk now that you put her in order with your wang and your 15 minutes of comfort

/romance

So, what you're saying is... needs more foreplay?  :brows:

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It goes like this:

1) female NPC is neutral

/romance

So, what you're saying is... needs more foreplay?  :brows:

Yep, I'm that type of girl.

It goes like this:

1) female NPC is neutral

/romance

I think Bruce follows these steps for his real life dating.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

It goes like this:

1) female NPC is neutral

/romance

I think Bruce follows these steps for his real life dating.

And I think this comment was fairly tasteless.

• Like 4

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I think part of the problem is the implicit assumption in the games that romance = sex.

They already acknowledge a few times in the DA series that sex /= romance, but they can't shake the converse (or is that contrapositive...?)

But part of this is - IMO - the view that the romance exists as an ego stroke and not a part of the story. The player is supposed to feel like they "win", which is why so many people see them as a sex minigame.

I think its best to do it like with Torment's Fall from Grace. Dialog that doesn't necessarily lead anywhere, just suggests what might have been. An integral part of the experience without any type of mechanic behind the scenes. I like how they did it, it was suggestive without being crass. And then there was that diary you couldn't open. Nice touch. 

• Like 2

Didn't dao have "regen to max outside combat"? I see numerous people talking about it like it's a welcome reversion from da2, but the last time we've seen bio do non-regenerating health was... Kotor?

Yeah, I'm not sure why this is seen as a step forward other than making the game arbitrarily more "hardcore."  Wasn't it Avellone or Sawyer who pointed out that drinking a health potion when your health is low is neither difficult nor tactically interesting? To me, this should go into the dustbin of RPG features, along with "pre-buffing." 

The problem is that games with regenerating health still have trash fights.  Which leads to either a bunch of generic mooks having the ability to take the party down, or a lot of stupidly boring combat.  Have fewer, more difficult combats, and regenerating health is great.  But since gamers tend to expect lots of combat, and game devs tend to want to put it in, well, it doesn't usually work out.

No (or limited) health-regen allows there to be more combat without it necessarily being immediately threatening to the player or boring, since every fight is strategically relevant.

Anyone who hates 'pre buffing' hates  rpgs, combat, strategy, and tatics. Yeah, I said it.  Potions are awesome  as long as they aren't in ridiculous amounts.   Regenertaing health (barring super duper magical reasons or  related to troll like abilities as the exception) is the bane of all.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I like the PnP Talislanta approach. PC's improve their skills but can never improve their hit points by normal means. Magical healing sources are rare. That ensures that the combat is deadly and adds a degree of realism. Ferocious monsters stay that way because you know your chances of victory against them are slim. You have to be really clever to get the best of them and stack the situation in your favor through good role playing.

The DnD and usual CRPG approach lead to ridiculous situation that a typical lvl 20 character can murder an army of level 1 characters. As you climb upwards in levels the world grows boring as you're basically above everything and everyone. I always thought it was a careless way to design character progression.

I think the players would respond well to a game that doesn't pander to them so much. They certainly did with Dark Souls and that's a lot more sadistic than Talislanta.

Of course, this presumes a role playing game where combat isn't padding material (like it almost always is), which leads to a shorter game overall. But I could live with that. 

• Like 1

Anyone who hates 'pre buffing' hates  rpgs, combat, strategy, and tatics. Yeah, I said it.  Potions are awesome  as long as they aren't in ridiculous amounts.   Regenertaing health (barring super duper magical reasons or  related to troll like abilities as the exception) is the bane of all.

Drinking potions and casting spells in order to beat the almighty roll machine does not a game make. Or maybe its does not a fun game makes.

It isn't tactics definitely. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif