Weather, day/night cycles...

This has probably been answered already (I seem to remember day and night cycles being mentioned at least) but will see weather and stuff in PoE? One of the things that really enhanced the atmosphere of BG, and actually one of my fondest memories of it, is how it would start to rain at times. Coupled with the sound-design in the games, I thought it did a surprisingly good job of conveying a sense of place and nature.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Rain was in BG, so that seems likely. Perhaps they are going to use that water level altering technology for heavy rain?

Fog might be more of a challenge because of its varying volumetric properties. That would probably be the most interesting from a game-play perspective, since it should impact your detection radius.

Possibly they could do wind by varying the plant/tree animations and altering smoke effects? That could be visually interesting for a gusty environment like a mountain pass or a coastal area.

A variable snow covering might be implemented by blending in a sequence of graphical overlays, but that would require extra artwork. Perhaps just for a mountainous area? It might not be worth the cost.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Rain was in BG, so that seems likely. Perhaps they are going to use that water level altering technology for heavy rain?

Fog might be more of a challenge because of its varying volumetric properties. That would probably be the most interesting from a game-play perspective, since it should impact your detection radius.

Possibly they could do wind by varying the plant/tree animations and altering smoke effects? That could be visually interesting for a gusty environment like a mountain pass or a coastal area.

A variable snow covering might be implemented by blending in a sequence of graphical overlays, but that would require extra artwork. Perhaps just for a mountainous area? It might not be worth the cost.

Fogs been confirmed, but I'm not sure about wind. That would definitely be cool even if it is minor.

Nothing like some creepy fog on a graveyard...

• Like 4

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Fogs been confirmed, but I'm not sure about wind. That would definitely be cool even if it is minor.

Know what would be simple but pretty great? If there was a simple, variable directional wind (think golf games/minigames) that affected range bonuses/detriments to missile weapons. Between that and height, even basic ranged-weapon attacks get a major tactical boost from positioning.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

That could be messy. The game would need to communicate wind direction and the tactical effects of shooting at different angles.

A range modifier would be easier to implement: strong wind => increased penalty for range.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

That could be messy. The game would need to communicate wind direction and the tactical effects of shooting at different angles.

A range modifier would be easier to implement: strong wind => increased penalty for range.

It could be messy, but I was thinking something pretty simple. Instead of "Wind angle is 35 degrees? Apply X modifier. Wind angle is 36 degrees? Apply X + 1 modifier," I was thinking more like 50-or-so-degree arcs for the "wind is blowing this way" directionality. It's abstract rather than precise, sure, but, It could probably fit in with the same functionality as the AoE ability targeting (think cone spells/effects) system. So, the wind direction is randomly generated (or maybe non-randomly generated) for a given area/encounter/time-duration, and any ranged attack made in that direction, within that arc (relative to the character firing) would either get a mild bonus, or a mild detriment.

I realize it's still more complicated than not-having it, and I'm not at all demanding it, or suggesting "it's so simple, there's no reason NOT to add it!"

But, I just think even a simple abstraction of that would be interesting in tactical combat like this, is all.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

That level of implementation detail is what turn-based games are for... ;)

I agree on the more in-depth implementations. But, I honestly don't think simple directionality and amplitude would be that advanced.

I will say, though, that your idea of just a simple wind strength and range bonus is even easier to put in, and still a nice touch.

I don't think having simply directionality is that crazy (you can definitely go a lot crazier/more precise with it, say, in a turn-based game. :) ). But, I'm also not saying "this is obviously so simple that it has to easily go into PoE in like 10 minutes."

Just, conceptually, it would be nice, and the fact that the game is real-time doesn't really hinder the concept of an environmental factor applied to the battlefield.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

It would be great to have some wind and waves crashing on the rocks from the sea.  There must be cliffs or towers by the sea. 

Castle on a cliff or fortress?

I would like to see some weather effects other then it's raining.  I know this hard to do since your not excatly seeing the sky.

I am sure you team is going to add as much detail to the world as possible.

Being from Seattle, I know that there are actually six different types of rain. What you typically get in games is just normal rain and thunderstorms.

Mist is quite prevalent in certain silent games.

Snowstorms would be fun to see as well, although I realize this isn't Skyrim.

Being from Finland, I'm also familiar with the oh-so-many types of rain. ;)

Edited by Archmage Silver

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

Torrent rain every time your party rest would be nice reminder of my time in army, as there seemed to be heavy summer torrent rains every time we stopped to eat and then fifteen minutes later when it was time to march forward there was no cloud to be seen only blazing sun ;).

• Like 1

I would love to see weather have small in-game effects. Lephys's wind stuff would be cool, and a simpler thing could be done with weapon range and fog. Rain could slow movement slightly, and maybe thunderstorms have a chance to briefly stun everyone every so often as a particularly large boom sends people reeling for a second. I have no idea how feasible any of that is, but in infinite-funds-land it'd be awesome to see.

Edited by Jarrakul
  • Like 1

I don't know about things like thunder-stun, that sounds too ... simulationist isn't the right word.  Particular, maybe? -- to my ears.  They're only so many mechanics like that I could stomach before it would just begin to annoy me.  Things I can get behind in terms of mechanics: fog reducing sight, heavy winds reducing ranged accuracy (this shouldn't be complicated, just a flat reduction will do).  Keep it simple.

Visual responses would be neat though.  A party hunkering in wind, or bowed to the rain, flinches (purely visual) for heavy thunder outside of combat, a less confident, controlled stride in snow, sand, or difficult terrain maybe.

Speaking of PC(s) completely unresponsive to hostile weather, it'd be neat (but maybe too expensive?) if my party's armor changed slightly with climate.  In hot or temperate it could be light or cut at the arms, in frozen heavier and padded with fur or a cloak, in wet maybe augmented with a simple hood or light cloak.  Conceptially, it wouldn't require different armor models, just generalized armor accessories. :thumbsup:

I don't know, it just sounds like a neat touch of verisimilitude.