Depends on the scaling algorithm used by full scene SSAA. Prolly needs testing, if it was worth implementing at all. Dunno what options Unity supports natively.

By FXAA I meant a full-screen shader that'd do antialiasing, perhaps even with border detection, while masking out the background and inanimate sprite objects with a bit mask, so it blurs as little as necessary - which is rather low cost in terms of performance usually.

By FXAA I meant a full-screen shader that'd do antialiasing, perhaps even with border detection, while masking out the background and inanimate sprite objects with a bit mask, so it blurs as little as necessary - which is rather low cost in terms of performance usually.

At that point, wouldn't MSAA be better anyway?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 1 month later...

Now I've seen the beta, I think I can live with the current state of affairs - either they do use AA for the models, or there just is no noticable aliasing around them :)

There's only one place where it looks ugly, and that's character creation: Some textures, noticeably chain mail (I guess that's what it is...), shimmer heavily, textures are not very crisp otherwise however, the edges are jagged and, while SSAA would fix all this, apart from the aliasing issues, the lighting is really making it look bland.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

• 3 weeks later...

We might not 'need' SSAA, but then by that logic we don't 'need' video games or computers either.

It sucks when you buy a modern high end graphics card, or two and cant use more than MSAA in your games that are running at 120+ FPS. If players have a setup powerful enough to run SSAA, then they should be able to use it.

Nvidia driver over rides rarely work on anything, however forcing SSAA, or SGSSAA is possible in a lot of games using some third party program I cant remember the name of, but its very technical stuff to do.

SSAA is almost completely useless with this game... not needed.

Nope: It´s not useless cause it´s...

...massivly enhancing the characters. Of course this also makes them fit more perfect in the backgrounds, which is a discursive stuff at the moment. But, and that´s important: Obsidian will fix the style of the chars, it will only be a positive Aspect!

Oh, and with the use of the LanczosDownsamplingFilter SSAA could resharpen the whole image. It´s a very powerful solution; and it enhances Zooming BTW! (zooming seems to fit in more perfect!)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You need post processing shader based AA to counter any character lighting shaders you are using when these aren't built to preserve hardware AA (if that's even possible) and writing your own AA filter is not as simple and basic as hardware AA that unity supports natively afaik.

• 2 months later...

Character models could really use AA in this game. At least MSAA (possibly + TrSSAA).

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Just loaded up my beta... Been in other games so I haven't done this for some time. I noticed a little bit around the weapons, but not enough to distract or annoy me at 1960x1080x60Hz. At higher resolutions it's probably less noticeable.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it plenty distracting, personally. Swords are especially painful to look at even in-game, despite the smaller size. CC, inventory and level-up screens show jaggies everywhere around models.

Besides, in 2015 there really is no reason for a game not to offer AA support (MSAA at the very least, though SSAA remains my preferred option since PoE won't be graphically taxing).

• 3 weeks later...

Wouldn't SSAA degrade the high res backgrounds? Some post processing AA that's applied to the character and scenery meshes like FXAA should be ideal. Shader based

I truely hope the high res backgrounds were not what we saw in the beta...

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

Good news, everyone!

Even though there won't be an option to set anti-aliasing in-game, there will be a console command to control MSAA starting from the next backer beta build. The command will be msaa and it will support values in powers of 2 up to 16.

• Like 1

Good news, everyone!

Even though there won't be an option to set anti-aliasing in-game, there will be a console command to control MSAA starting from the next backer beta build. The command will be msaa and it will support values in powers of 2 up to 16.

Thanks for this info. How do we access the console?

Did you PM a dev or where does the info come from?

PMed a dev

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...