random allocation of stat points

Some people enjoy the randomization aspect of rolling stats (nobody is the same, etc) and so it would be nice to have a "randomly choose" button in the chargen taht allows you to randomly allocate the stat points.

Algorithm:

variable = points_available_for_buying_stats ##set to number of points available at beginning

Loop ( ## if points_avail_for_buying_stats > 0

RNG(1,6) ## used to decide what each point is doing to buy

Case If:

RNG is 1, add 1 point to str/might.

RNG = 2, add 1 point to int

RNG = 3, add 1 point to dex

RNG = 6, add 1 point to resolve.

points_avail_for_buy_stats = points_avail_for_buy_stats - 1 ## reduce points left by one)

• Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

yeah, i think people would do this, if it wasn't a "feature." It's just one of those polishing things that's always nice, you know? not a huge deal IMO which is why i tried to come up with the code for it too - it's that simple.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

My DXdiag:

Going to have to go with Junta on this one.  This is not a hard to implement feature, but it is a feature that in all honesty no one needs.  If you want to make a character with random stats there are plenty of ways to do it on your own without needing a random button on the character stat screen.  Heck just number each stat one through whatever and roll a dice, if the number of the stat comes up add 1 to it, if you roll a stat you can't raise anymore for whatever reason just roll again, keep doing this until all your points are spent.  Simple as pie.

• Like 1

it's a ease-of-use tool.

it's similar to other ease-of-use tools out there. the reason i thought it would be useful is because of the (admittedly few) posts i've read on the forums of players who wanted dice-roll stats as opposed to point-buy stats. those people argue for a "random" allocation of stats because they want "unique" characters. in terms of risk/reward, the rewards of this tool outweigh the risks.

if they don't implement it, i'll probably mod it into the game when it comes out.

i've also adjusted the algorithm based on your comment (thanks!)

num points_available_for_buying_stats = X ##set to number of points available at beginning

var last_stat_changed ##last stat that was changed

Loop ## if points_avail_for_buying_stats > 0

(

RNG(-6,6) ## used to decide what each point is doing to buy/sell

Case If: ## if not max, change stat by one point, add/reduce total points left by one, set last_stat_changed to last stat.

##positive cases, add one point

RNG is 1 AND str/might < max, add 1 point to str/might. points_avail_for_buy_stats = points_avail_for_buy_stats - 1. last_stat_changed = str

RNG = 2 AND int < max, add 1 point to int. points_avail_for_buy_stats = points_avail_for_buy_stats - 1. last_stat_changed = int

RNG = 3 AND dex < max, add 1 point to dex. points_avail_for_buy_stats = points_avail_for_buy_stats - 1. last_stat_changed = dex

RNG = 6 AND resolve < max, add 1 point to resolve. points_avail_for_buy_stats = points_avail_for_buy_stats - 1. last_stat_changed = resolve

#negative cases, subtract one point

RNG is -1 AND str/might > min, subtract 1 point to str/might. points_avail_for_buy_stats = points_avail_for_buy_stats + 1. last_stat_changed = str

RNG = -2 AND int > min, subtract 1 point to int. points_avail_for_buy_stats = points_avail_for_buy_stats + 1. last_stat_changed = int

RNG = -3 AND dex > min, subtract 1 point to dex. points_avail_for_buy_stats = points_avail_for_buy_stats + 1. last_stat_changed = dex

RNG = -6 AND resolve > min, subtract 1 point to resolve. points_avail_for_buy_stats = points_avail_for_buy_stats + 1. last_stat_changed = resolve

#zero case. add 2 points to last changed stat. This is to allow for more variability in stats. must check that points avail is at least 2 AND last_stat_change < max -1.

RNG = 0 AND last_stat_changed < max-1, add 2 points to last_stat_changed. points_avail = points_avail -2

)

Edited by Hormalakh

My DXdiag:

What I'd actually like to see, rather than a totally random point allocation algorithm, is a method that applies small random modifiers (possibly guaranteed net-0, possibly not) to the stats after you allocate them (or even before, or partway through or something). That, to me, would seem to reflect real life the best. You can choose what you're trying to be, and that has a big influence, but equal effort will not yield equal results for everything. If I exercise just as much as another person, that other person might still end up stronger than me, but I can still choose to exercise and make myself stronger to some extent. I think such a system would be cool.

• Like 1

Well the main reason i liked the roll system is because the total of all the points was different with each roll and you could create a stronger or weaker character compared to other humanoid npcs. But if all characters will always have an equal total then i don't see much of a point in rolling for each attribute.

Some people enjoy the randomization aspect of rolling stats (nobody is the same, etc) and so it would be nice to have a "randomly choose" button in the chargen taht allows you to randomly allocate the stat points.

Algorithm:

variable = points_available_for_buying_stats ##set to number of points available at beginning

Loop ( ## if points_avail_for_buying_stats > 0

RNG(1,6) ## used to decide what each point is doing to buy

Case If:

RNG is 1, add 1 point to str/might.

RNG = 2, add 1 point to int

RNG = 3, add 1 point to dex

RNG = 6, add 1 point to resolve.

points_avail_for_buy_stats = points_avail_for_buy_stats - 1 ## reduce points left by one)

Firstly, have to respect your taking the trouble to explain it in detail.

Secondly, I have to agree that it isn't strictly needed, but for two reasons:

1. The coding may be easy but adding the relevant button to the GUI might need hours of effort from a graphic designer, plus a recheck by quality control etc etc.

2. People who will appreciate the button are likely to be tabletop players or at least boardgame enthusiasts. We're all likely to be canny enough to do it on our own.

Taken together I'd vote no. But still applaud the principle.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think everybody will agree that the dice system in IE games ended up in wasting half an hour checking for the highest possible stats, unless is your very first game where you might not understand the core rules.

So in the end, I think RNG is no good, specially in something that you will carry all over the game. But I aggree there is something in this lottery that makes the player  to feel satisfied after the effort. If I wanted to add this lottery system I'd work with something that won't affect that much the gameplay (where the difference in stats could create from the crappiest crap to a godlike). For instance, the initial equipment. It could be randomiced through some parameters. You could have a magic weapon, or even exclusive items, or an equivalent to the stat tomes that increases one point the stat. In the end, those objects would become obsolete or you could find equivalent quality items while you play, but it will make a difference and this rewarding system would still aply.

• Like 2

i guess the only real benefit i see from this is sort of a "quick just get me playing the game already!" sort of option. The chargen, while sometimes a fun aspect of these games, can get a little annoying when I'm going to play/replay the game - as the poster above me mentioned: 30 minutes for dice rolls, etc. A randomizer is always nice to help make the next replay a new experience and quickly.

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 1

My DXdiag:

For the PC, yes, stats rolling is a time waster. However, randomly generated stats might be useful for the Training Hall recruits. Especially if it was combined with a limited pool of candidates that slowly varied over time.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

i guess the only real benefit i see from this is sort of a "quick just get me playing the game already!" sort of option. The chargen, while sometimes a fun aspect of these games, can get a little annoying when I'm going to play/replay the game - as the poster above me mentioned: 30 minutes for dice rolls, etc. A randomizer is always nice to help make the next replay a new experience and quickly.

Thinking a bit more about this I see what you mean. I think.

There's a joy in taking what chance gives you and making the best of it.

However, following this logic I'd make it part of the Iron Man approach to a run through. i.e. you start with a random gen character, and your NPCs get randomly genned.

Not going in this release, probably, but I'd genuinely like to see it come out as a mod or something.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It's worth noting that there are subsections of the Baldur's Gate community that have made good use of the rolling mechanic. Challenges like no-reload playthroughs with your first stat roll can be a lot of fun to some folks. But for the vast majority, the random-sum nature of the stat system meant that you just kept rolling until you got the stats you liked, which really just wasted the player's time. What I'm saying here is that I think Walsingham has the right idea. It's a great option to have for the Ironman folks, but it kind of stinks for everyone else.

Although I'd still prefer a system that combined point-buy with random variance, as I mentioned before.