Regarding Paradox Interactive, DRM's and GoG

IP Addresses are very specific and the numbers aren't random. 

In ZA our IP changes based on ISP and termination point is that of the ISP. This is not unique to ZA. Managing via IP is not a solution and never will be. 

Simple 2-factor authentication is the better solution. 

Okay allow me to rephrase.  My ISP doesn't provide internet to people in Germany.  So if a guy with a IP that is from a company that provides internet in Germany is trying to log into my account..... odds are good it isn't me.  Pretty simple concept.

Pretty simple concept.

Not really. I travel a fair bit. Does that mean I'm hacking my own account when I log in from Hangzhou, Birmingham or Mauritius? 

If the device/IP is unrecognised, a simple 2-factor step resolves any confusion. unless we should toss security out the window as being inconvenient? 

Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

What about now?

Not really. I travel a fair bit. Does that mean I'm hacking my own account when I log in from Hangzhou, Birmingham or Mauritius? 

If the device/IP is unrecognised, a simple 2-factor step resolves any confusion. unless we should toss security out the window as being inconvenient? 

It is very inconvenient and I don't like it either. I've travelled and encountered that problem too. And when you get home, you may have to re-verify the ip range that you're in again. Or you can have two homes and whenever you travel to either, it flags it as well. It doesn't have to be a different country. It could be a different suburb in the same city and the flags go up.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

The entirely new authentification system that Apple invented in 2009.

What you're smoking. We want it. 

You can buy it in the shop. Actually, this came from the mouth of a proud iPhone owner at a mobile and computer expo. I was talking about how supremely unclever it is that we rely on network protocols in mobile networks being hidden to the public, using proprietary function sets, in order to be considered secure. Rather than relying on actual verification systems that make the connection itself secure. This was a curious concept to me, I said, because there is no reason to rely on makeshift contrivances like complex proprietary function sets that will be a security threat if ever hacked - when we have already invented effective and cheap encryption and verification standards that securely can verify the clients without identifying them to everyone else.

The wielder of the iPhone gasps and theatrically exclaims "yes, you're talking about that standard Apple invented a few years ago!".

Sadly, I'm completely f'n serious, I assure you.

• Like 1

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

• 2 weeks later...