Eternity Expansion style

The devs already have a clear idea of what they want to do for the expansion (that probably means general story idea and location), I wonder if they also have a specific expansion style in mind as well.

By this I mean where the expansion content fits in regards to the vanilla game.

There are two (technically three) different examples that can be given for the Infinity Engine games

Style #1: New Quest hubs within the vanilla game world

Tales of the Sword Coast added a new quest hub to Baldur's Gate in Ulgoth's Beard which had two distinct major quest lines - Werewolf Island and Durlag's Tower.

This content style was actually replicated for use within Baldur's Gate 2, where De'Arnise Keep, Trademeet, Umar Hills and Windspear Hills were all quest hubs completely separate from the main storyline. 

I believe this is also the format used for DLC Content such as Fallout New Vegas' DLC stuff

Style #2: A continuation or separate story from the main plot, set in a different part of the world.

Throne of Bhaal could almost be considered a separate game from Baldur's Gate 2. It follows on from the main storyline of the game and is set in a different part of the gameworld.

Icewind Dale Heart of Winter technically falls under this category as well, although it was (probably for budgetary reasons) made accessible from within the IWD game world, but separate from the vanilla Icewind Dale content - which was probably the easiest way of doing it in the Infinity Engine codebase.

My understanding is that Obsidian will probably do more of a New Vegas style expansion for Eternity where they do something a bit different for the plot/themes. 

How would you like that to access that content?

Would you like the PE Expansion to add new quest hubs / locations that are accessible from the vanilla game, that are able to be completed from within the vanilla game?

Or would you like the content to be separate, where you import your PE party and do the new content separately, after completion of the game.

Both options probably means at least a few more design levels for classes required (TotSC raised the experience cap in BG1 allowing players to gain at least an extra level of experience) and option #1 might mean that the vanilla game crit path needs to have some new balance/scaling applied to it.

I personally don't mind what expansion style they use, although content in a different geographical location would be fun, whether that be, say, the Vailian Republics or somewhere closer to the Dyrwood. It probably depends a little on post-release sales on exactly how big the expansion will be, whether we will get a new Big City, or just a Trademeet / Ulgoth's Beard style area.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Interesting questions! :)

Well, since I loved what MotB did for the NWN2 OC, I'd prefer a new and "exotic" set of locations, where I get to take my medium-level party. A lobby is fine. Continuity storywise is of course lovely, but it needn't be extensive or deep, as long as the story explains it all. I want to be surprised and confused. Then I get to unravel the mysteries of the new cultural contexts and the new creepy-crawlies.

Obsidian also did well with SoZ as far as the steamy jungles go, with yuan-tis and dinosaurs. However, the return to the lands of the OC wasn't that exciting to be honest, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Ideally and honestly? Neither, I want new locations..not just more of the same.

However, if this is indeed what they've decided to do.. just a quest hub I guess, because I personally am not a fan of importing stuff unless I have to.. it's not exactly immersive.

Edit :

Interesting questions!  :)

Well, since I loved what MotB did for the NWN2 OC, I'd prefer a new and "exotic" set of locations, where I get to take my medium-level party. A lobby is fine. Continuity storywise is of course lovely, but it needn't be extensive or deep, as long as the story explains it all. I want to be surprised and confused. Then I get to unravel the mysteries of the new cultural contexts and the new creepy-crawlies.

Obsidian also did well with SoZ as far as the steamy jungles go, with yuan-tis and dinosaurs. However, the return to the lands of the OC wasn't that exciting to be honest, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

They said it better, I pretty much want this. :p

Edited by Fluff
  • Like 2

For PoE, which will presumably have a Baldur's Gate-like structure, I'd prefer ToB-style. This is because it's a narrative cRPG. In a more freeform game, I'd be more interested in a TOTSC-style expansion, but because so much of the appeal hinges on the narrative, I'd rather see a continuation of that.

• Like 2

New locations are new locations. It just depends whether you want to be able to access the content in the vanilla game or not. A story within a story.

Bringing up MotB is a good point, that was one of the better expansions of an RPG from a story perspective.

Edited by Sensuki

Something like MotB. I wouldn't like an expansion like TotSC(or arguably Skyrim's DLC) because I wouldn't want to be denied expansion content with my main PC.

I don't really care about new locations, as long as the story is interesting and the gameplay is fun.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1. Could someone fill me in about the basics of Mask of the Betrayer, spoiler-free if possible? The awesomeness about it is legendary everywhere I go (on the internet). I never actually finished NWN2 nor bought the expanions (shun the non-completer, shuunnnaaaah!)

Same as KaineParker I prefer the story and gameplay to be interesting. I have a lot of faith in Obsidian that it will be good. I just hope that they had their lesson from poor Honest Hearts. No, you guys, seriously.

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Could someone fill me in about the basics of Mask of the Betrayer, spoiler-free if possible? The awesomeness about it is legendary everywhere I go (on the internet).

Gladly. However, I'll do it in my own quirky and slightly spoilerish way:

In NWN2 OC the King of Shadows was the protagonist. After you defeat him, and your party apparently dies, you yourself seem to have succumb to death, since you awake in a barrow at the very start of MotB. This expansion is all about you, the shard-bearer, and the curse that has afflicted you and made you into what you are. All the characters, including any major beings and gods, are extremely well-written and woven into the plot of the expansion. You also get to influence their attitude towards you. Also, they are pretty odd and fantastic in their own rights. The expansion has atmosphere in spades and handle the various D&D planes like it was nothing (Guess which guys who are responsible for making Torment: Tides of Numenera!). The eastern lands you get to visit are unique and very well researched by the writers. Everything in it is a treat, perhaps except a certain spirit meter. :) 

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I would rather have a continuation/separate story. I intend to complete the PoE before the expansion comes out, and I would rather be able to continue playing the same character from the end of the main game, instead of having to reload my save before the point of no return, do the expansion content, and then do the endgame again (I am working under the assumption that there is going to be a sequel, and that I will be able to import my character to it).

Also I don't replay RPGs much these days, so I would rather have a fresh new story, rather than a few new locations on the map, and new NPCs, monster and items scattered around the old locations.

Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast was more of a software update/patch in the days before internet downloading was a ubiquitous and efficient distribution method. I digress... That being said, I think I prefer expansions which enhance the base game, rather than those which go beyond its scope. Quests inserted into the main game ex-post facto can still be intriguing and dramatic while fitting into the greater framework. The DLCs of Fallout are proof of this.

What makes me leery about expansions which continue after the finale of the original game, is that they often "jump the shark". Scopes generally become epic, and exhausted wells are drilled. "Independent" expansions often have many of the same caveats as creating a brand new game. While it's always nice to have a fresh narrative direction, my pro/con list still comes in favor of enhancing the base game. It provides opportunities not merely for fixing any faults of the original, but expanding on strengths as well.

• Like 1

1. Could someone fill me in about the basics of Mask of the Betrayer, spoiler-free if possible? The awesomeness about it is legendary everywhere I go (on the internet). I never actually finished NWN2 nor bought the expanions (shun the non-completer, shuunnnaaaah!

Mask of the Betrayer was Planescape: Torment reskinned and set in Princess Mononoke. You think I'm kidding, I'm sure, but it really is. And I enjoyed it immensely.

Anyway, I'd prefer an expansion to add content after the main game, just so that I can play it with my original PC even though I'll finish the base game long before the expansion comes out. Something like Throne of Bhaal, Heart of Winter, Dragon Age: Awakening, or Mask of the Betrayer would be perfect.

• Like 4

Personally i'd like the gameworld to be expanded and built upon rather than moving to a new locale, it does not necessarily have to be set within the first game however, i'd simply like to see a gradual evolution and expansion of our playing area.

That said I most definitely would not want to restrict the developers in any way shape or form if they have some revelatory idea for the expansion, the kind that sets the creator giggling with manic glee, rubbing their hands together as the various aspects align in a serendipitous assemblage. In that case i'd prefer the ladies and gents simply follow their muse's bidding, and keep true to their vision.

• Like 6

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

My one concern for the expansion is that it not just turn into an easily implementable sequence of linear combat missions; that it have a balance between combat, interaction, and problem solving, just as we're supposedly getting in the original.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I was wondering, how realistic is for this type of expansion to introduce a couple of new classes, let's say a PoE take on shaman, swashbuckler or maybe even something unique to the world? That kind of expanded content would probably be a nice incentive for people to pick up expansion, and also further replayability.

• Like 1

This is... the third expansion thread in a month. What, the main game not good enough anymore? *is confused*

But I pretty much said my preference in the others already, but let's repeat that...

* New area with new storyline, adding stuff to basic campaign to fill it out and perhaps change painpoints noticed since release.

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I was wondering, how realistic is for this type of expansion to introduce a couple of new classes, let's say a PoE take on shaman, swashbuckler or maybe even something unique to the world? That kind of expanded content would probably be a nice incentive for people to pick up expansion, and also further replayability.

A new class and or race would be an amazing addition, almost better than new area (to me). I don't really expect it to happen though.. it will probably be a more standard expansion.

This is... the third expansion thread in a month. What, the main game not good enough anymore? *is confused*

But I pretty much said my preference in the others already, but let's repeat that...

* New area with new storyline, adding stuff to basic campaign to fill it out and perhaps change painpoints noticed since release.

Of course not! If there isn't at least 5 more expansions announced before the game is released I'll be disappointed.

No, but seriously.. it's just nice to speculate/share ideas I suppose. :p

Edited by Fluff

I'm fine with both,though I'd probably prefer a MotB style expansion rather than a TotSC one.

If they make more than one expansion(including the ones for sequels)I'd like some of them to be closer to PST or IWD(although in this case I'd say I'm expecting something more akin to Dark Souls rtwp edition with great atmosphere,storytelling through environs/item descriptions and dungeons connected to each other rather than linear progression)for variety's sake.

Personally, I don't prefer the "overlay new quests and content directly into the midst of the original campaign" approach. It's not necessarily horrible or anything. But, if I had to choose, I'd go with the separattion/distinction between the spans of time during which each segment of the story is taking place. Even if lots of the places and people overlap, and the original campaign decisions end up affecting the state of the world in the expansion, etc. I just like it when it's clear-cut what has happened (or potentially happened) already, and what hasn't. I think it's a lot easier to make a cohesive and polished story that way.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

The devs already have a clear idea of what they want to do for the expansion (that probably means general story idea and location), I wonder if they also have a specific expansion style in mind as well.

I may be having trouble seeing past my dissatisfaction of the ToB story to be giving that style of expansion a fair chance, but I think I (slightly) prefer a TotSC style expansion, though TotSC would have been better if there was some, at least, tangential connection to the BG1 story. As it is, there is a sense of urgency to the main plot and not a good in-game reason to do the TotSC content.

If there is something like ToB and Watcher's Keep (that is, a separate story and an area accessible from either) then I would hope that the areas in the original game would be accessible from the expansion areas. The idea that you can get from point A to point B and back and you can get from point B to point C and back but you can't get from point C back to point A seems wrong. 

I'd actually prefer a TOTSC style expansion and leave new part of world and extending storyline for PoE 2.

But it all depends on what their plans are.  If PoE2 is going to be a new story with a new PC (a la IWD->IWD2), then expanding the story in the expansion is great (MOTB style).

If they're going to continue the story of the (PoE1) PC in PoE2 (a la BG1->Bg2), then I'd like the first expansion to add in more companions, wilderness areas and then a couple of cool side-stories like werewolf island and Durlag's tower did.  Thus making replays of the main game more fun.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

A fine idea, as long as this is inserted into the main storyline in terms of race and class recognition and equipment ... Neverwinter Nights 2 had multiple new races and classes added with each expansion and yet the developers didn't insert the *new content* into the original campaign/earlier expansion ... a buzz kill for long time players.  

So if there is new class/race content please factor it into the original game at least superficially. 

I'd prefer an entirely new, post-main game expansion of the story. The way Borderlands and Dragon Age 1 did things. There's just way less incentive for me to play the expansion if it's not a continuation in some form.

• Like 1