Bottomless omnipresent stash in Eternity?

If they don't include the ability to reduce the upgrade price for better armaments for soldiers in stronghold I'd be pissed it might be to hard this far into development but here it goes.

Foreach(GameObject item in infinitStash[])

{

If (item.quality == upgrade.quality)

{

upgradeCost -= item.vendorPrice;

}

}

If(youPushedTheGodDamnButton == true)

{

playerGold -= upgradeCost;

Foreach (GameObject item in infiniteStash[])

{

If(item.quality == upgrade.quality)

{

Destroy(item.gameObject)

}

}

}

God I must be really bored on the train ride home.

Sorry for no tabs iPhone no have tab button.

Edit 2 I know it would also require some other send messages to exicute the change and make it actually take effect but you get the general idea.

Edited by Fatback

I'll wager that one of the first mods available is an inventory anywhere mod

Followed by a "press this key to automatically vacuum up all non-magical items from the floor into the party stash" mod.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Do people actually go about changing gear on their characters for specific encounters? ... i never do as i cant say ive ever needed to.

In BG2 it definitely makes sense, especially when playing with tactical mods.

For example, when facing a Lich or mage you'll want to equip gear that maximizes your front-line fighter's magic resistance and death saving throw, whereas upon entering a golem or mind-flayer lair you'll want to switch to gear that maximizes their AC. And when fighting melee trash mobs, gear that maximizes damage output.

Or take fighter/thief (or fighter/mage) multiclass characters - for some fights they'll want to wear light armor (or robes) so they can backstab (or cast spells); for other encounters it makes more sense to let them wear heavy armor so they can tank.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

But do you have proof? Josh at least has seen enough let's play videos to have evidence. seriously doubting and having a "gut-feeling" don't really mean much.

Quite a feat, let's play videos in 2000 with the webs and internet speeds of those times.

More likely any let's plays are from modern gamers, usually less known to 2000 games and more familiar with modern dumbed down games, and thus play as they've learned from there.

And as that result our new 2000 game gets dumbed down? That's beyond stupid...

Hoarder doesn't mean "pick up all 1gp swords" btw.

he's been leading game testing for a long time. and believe it or not, there are a bunch of let's plays of old games on youtube now. just because they were made in the 90s doesn't mean people stopped playing them in the 90s.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

You read my post, right? Cause your response says otherwise, I already pointed out the YouTube thing...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

One consequence of having an unlimited party stash, is that small parties (or solo players) are no longer at a disadvantage when it comes to looting, compared to a full party of six.

Which makes sense, I guess, since Obsidian said they want the game to be more flexible with regard to party size than the IE games were (whose developers apparently took a full 6 char party for granted when designing many game mechanics).

Good automation for inventory management is high on my wishlist. I hate dragging little pictures back and forth. If the IE games had had an "automanage" button for inventory I would have loved it.

What automanage, I hear you ask? This:

(1) Sort by type and value.

(2) Put all objects into their respective containers (gems in gem bags, scrolls in scroll cases etc).

(3) Distribute weight among party so that, if possible, nobody's encumbered.

(3b) If not possible, drop any items worth less than 1% of your current GP, starting with the ones with the lowest price/weight ratio.

(3c) If inventory is full, drop any items worth less than 1% of your current GP, starting with the cheapest, until ten slots are free.

That would have saved much tedium.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Eh, I wouldn't mind inventory sorting, but what you want is a magic 'do everything for me button'...

What point is inventory management if it's all automated for you? There's convinience and then there's 'do everything for me'... :/

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I don't like inventory management so I'd rather have someone do it for me. It's a tedious time-sink, like grinding or rote pre-buffing.

The bottomless omnipresent stash makes me very happy. If it has auto-sort so I can easily find what I want in it, I'll be even happier.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Making looting more tedious doesn't make players not loot everything of more than neglibible value, it just makes it more tedious.

DId anyone who played BG1 (and didn't abuse the dupe glitch) NOT grab all the gems (which were intended to be the main method of money earning as most enemies don't drop more than a handful of gold and only "special" enemies tend to have magic stuff)  even though carrying them all was arbitrarily difficult because of limited inventory space? No?

Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

• 1 month later...

Seems like a rich old man, to me, if he's sitting on all your valuables. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Old men can neither run far nor fast. My rogue will find him or maybe there are tracking spells like a cipher can get the "scent" of his soul or a wizard use some sympathetic magic that will allow a hair or piece of blood to direct me to him or if sympathetic magic does indeed exist i could use the blood to burn him up from the inside and follow the rumors of the mysterious death to his corpse. Or I could just rely on the superstitious old man believing that my wizard can do that.  :p

• Like 1

The idea of the bottomless omnipresent stash is fine by me, if it is included or not.

It being there, makes it easy to find what items I am wanting to use. Allowing me to quickly change something up, for an unexpected event.

If it is not there, then that means I will end up keeping all the items I will use either on me, or in one location. Which means that I am just adding extra time walking my character around the map getting the items I need, rather than doing *anything* else. Inventory management shouldn't be the challenge you have to overcome, the rest of the game is supposed to be that.

I would prefer if it was in the game, with an in-game explanation though. Doesn't need to be complex. A line or two of dialog would be enough. Like what they did with the Courier Transport System in Fallout: New Vegas. Put item in blue box here, comes out the other end there. Explained by another Courier running it to the location for you. Doesn't seem too tough to be able to think of something similar but with magic.

If it doesn't have an in-game reason, then I hope it is not a physical box you can interact with. But just another window you open, like your character stats screen. No one is expecting an in-game explanation for saving/loading/modding, because they are not physical things in the universe that anyone can interact with. They are just features of the game that are there to make our lives simple/better.

Even if they put it in, without an in-game reason, the simple solution to the people who dislike it is, just don't use it. Use one of the other storage options that are going to be everywhere.

I suspect the benefit of a "bag of holding", given the current equipment mechanic, would be a larger Pack capacity. Possibly there could be similar but more limited gear that you could equip, like a 'belt pouch of holding' for potions.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

In RPG's with only one character the presence of a bottomless stack never bothered me, I didn't even noticed it. It was just there, and saved me a whole lot of tedious inventory management. Especially in a party RPG, like in the IE games, I think I spent about 40% of the time looting, reallocating, storing and searching items.

I believe the only thing that I'd consider as "dumbing down" would be if the party members didn't have their own inventory, like I think it was handled in DA, that would strike me as too "communistic", and you wouldn't have to think about which items you make available to which character for utility. 

BTW, I wonder if you can exchange items between characters during combat, like it was possible in the IE game.. I hope not, at least it shouldn't be so easy, with auto-pause and no consequences whatsoever in combat. 

• Like 1

BTW, I wonder if you can exchange items between characters during combat, like it was possible in the IE game.. I hope not, at least it shouldn't be so easy, with auto-pause and no consequences whatsoever in combat.

I uselessly can't recall for certain, but I seem to remember Josh answering a question about this, saying that it's possible, but they have to be close enough to one another?

Also, since I don't know if it does or not right now, I'm going to go ahead and say that it should cost an action in-combat. If it takes time to sheathe your sword and draw your dagger, or change grimoires, then it shouldn't be any different for one character getting an item from another character.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I uselessly can't recall for certain, but I seem to remember Josh answering a question about this, saying that it's possible, but they have to be close enough to one another?

It would be nice if it cost a few seconds of action to at least one of them.

Making looting more tedious doesn't make players not loot everything of more than neglibible value, it just makes it more tedious.

Huh, I stopped looking into every trashcan in Arcanum fairly quickly. As soon as I figured out that I can find a set of worn socks, apple core or whatever answered my engineering needs in any city at any time. What's the point in picking up rat hides for 1 gp apiece, if you need to take out a mortgage to buy that shiny chainmail +1 anyway?

This whole stash thing reminds me of how a short, but atmospheric video of campfire in BG was replaced with kneeling for five seconds by NWN2. What kind of resting is that? Would I like to spend five minutes before leaving a city to decide what crap I might need in the dungeon, and how much inv space should I leave for loot? Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Packing your bag is a part of adventure.

I think the inventory in Arcanum is done really well. You get your inventory space but you also have a belt which can hold 10 items irregardless of their size. This is useful for carrying one sword that takes up 1/4 of you inventory or large pieces of machinery/building materials. Ultimately it's all judged by weight and long before you reach your absolute max carrying capacity you become encumbered and are only able to walk... slooowly.

I think the best system for encumbrance is one with action-based stamina. That way, when you're encumbered, you can still move around "just fine" (probably a bit more slowly), but every step you take will sap that much more stamina (when, normally, your moving about, encumbrance-free, would hardly require any stamina at all, unless you're sprinting or something).

The whole "You're gonna move really really slow" thing is mechanically silly, since, it still doesn't PREVENT you from carrying way too much stuff. It just makes it really, really annoying.

It's for players like me, who can't leave loot behind.  Ie, in Fallout 3 I'd pile all the stuff in a safe place then make several trips to pick it all up and bring it back to sell.  This was amazingly tedious in the one play through where I refused to use fast travel.  Been nice to have a "2 months pass while you loot the fort" button I could have pushed.

It's true, I didn't need all that loot.  But I never know in advance how much money I need or if an item might be useful later on.  Even when replaying a game I don't remember these details from a few years in the past.

In practice though, there's probably an unseen cart that follows you around, or lot of bags on those invisible horses you have.  Seriously, do you think you can walk for weeks across the country side with only a backpack for all your food and supplies, which is small enough that you can enter combat without removing it first?  No, there's a stash only it's not shown in the game for the same reason that you don't have to dig a latrine every time you stop to camp.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the mixture of encumbrance (for realism) and magic inventory space (bag of holding).

The use of stamina as mentioned above is a good idea also (added some realism on the sprinting part

in Age of Conan and The Secret World fe.)

Must say that D:OS (to name a "modern" RPG) handles line of sight and friendly fire very well , feels like a p&p session sometimes.

It always struck me (especially in MMO's) that bagspace was always a big issue... you can cast x and y and do whatever but a magic bag

seems to much ;-). Thank goodness for RPG's that are AD&D based...

Edited by Suspiria