Update #75: Bringing Creatures to Life: Animation on Pillars of Eternity

Did the Romances in Neverwinter Nights 2 bring charm to that game, or did they instead, bring awkwardness... like something was out of place?

Actually the real charm in NWN2 came from the scrolls of resurrection that sat in your inventory unused during an incredibly ironic cut-scene where everyone explained just how much they cared about the character they had just allowed to die.  

It was a heartwarming moment of chaotic evil narcissism from a neutral good character, there was nothing awkward about it at all.

• Like 2

I find it interesting how the animations are tailored to the camera. In the video, the ones on the left look kinda wonky, while from the camera angle they look much better in my opinion. Is that more work ("fixing" animations to look good from camera angle) or less (only has to look good from that angle) or the same? I never really thought about the extra considerations a dynamic camera requires (or should, anyway :p)

• Like 1

you can tell from all the updates that everything is chosen to create a film on making a game and not to impress anyone.

Everything is alpha or pre-apha and comes off as just showing certian aspects of the games development.

The updates really aren't for WOW factor yet.

Animations are pre alpha too.

Kickin' It Forward

ks-dwarven-forge-580.jpg

We love tabletop games at Obsidian, and what better way to bring your campaigns to life than with some awesome modular cavern sets? The guys over at Dwarven Forge are releasing a brand new set of modular cavern tiles crafted from their new unbreakable Dwarvenite material. They've got some really cool stretch goals to add even cooler pieces, including a Lava Cavern Add-On Pack. Check out their Kickstarter campaign here!

Wow, these guys finished up their Kickstarter with $2.1 million in contributions from just 3,950 backers. That averages out to $532 per!

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Wow, these guys finished up their Kickstarter with $2.1 million in contributions from just 3,950 backers. That averages out to $532 per!

Some additional info on this Kickstarter:

The creator is Stefan Pokorny.  His mom past away during this Kickstarter and so there was an extra surge of donations to surpass the last Kickstarter and show community gratitude.  This well wishing spelled "doom to my wallet" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmrkcWM3Dj8).  It was not uncommon to see $1,500 - $2,500 donations being posted in the comment sections.

The stretch goals are pretty hefty with an additional 28 "free" pieces (which are unique and not from the base set pieces) per base set purchased.  To activate the stretch goal you needed to purchase a minimum of 2 base sets (52 pieces) which results in 56 additional, unique, "free" stretch goal pieces.  The 28th, and final, stretch piece (the Mine Entrance) was the $2,000,000 stretch goal. 

The other part of the stretch goals were add-on packs.  The 2.1+ million resulted in a stretch goal that was not planned on and was created on the spot.  Those who backed filled out a text box which asked what we would like to see most in this new add on pack.  Stefan will read through these and choose his favorites and those who backed will vote on their favorite out of the choices.  This will be the new add on pack that is not free but for purchase. 

• Like 2

you can tell from all the updates that everything is chosen to create a film on making a game and not to impress anyone.

Everything is alpha or pre-apha and comes off as just showing certian aspects of the games development.

The updates really aren't for WOW factor yet.

Animations are pre alpha too.

And thank god for that...

It's much more interesting to read about game development behind the scenes then, say, the PR marketing of The Witcher III and DA:I, where everything is just "woooaaa" pictures, and I can't care less about what they report at all. Another screen... whatever. Call me when you actually talk about the game, and make me want to buy it rather than turn me off from buying it (Witcher III I look at you!)

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

And thank god for that...

It's much more interesting to read about game development behind the scenes then, say, the PR marketing of The Witcher III and DA:I, where everything is just "woooaaa" pictures, and I can't care less about what they report at all. Another screen... whatever. Call me when you actually talk about the game, and make me want to buy it rather than turn me off from buying it (Witcher III I look at you!)

I know what you mean. I remember when I used to be excited about getting gaming magazines and such, because they'd actually show progress and such on the game, and how it functioned and worked. Nowadays, it's like a 6-month PR campaign, instead of journalism. Which, granted, sometimes that's all the info the reporter is given. But, still. I'm not worried about who to blame, really, as much as I just hate that it's all screenshots and vague descriptions of concepts that make them sound awesome, but hardly ever end up being executed well in the game mechanics.

"We're going to have an INNOVATIVE new crafting system!"

(What that means when the game comes out): "Depending on the type of metal you choose, a different item is made! 8D! WHOA!"

I've seen a lot of games that LOOKED amazing, but ended up having absolutely no originality in the mechanics and gameplay whatsoever.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Yea Kick Starter is pretty damn Amazing for everyone!  I am constantly backing projects.  I doubt I will ever have time to play any games.

I love the behind the scenes on film too.

Witcher 3 is Beyond any game out there or developer.  It's sort of like the Next Gen Game.

Only that dev can pull that off, there vision, there pushing the evelope for games.

I wouldn't place CDP on that high of a pedestal. They are just people, like any developer. They do amazing work, but nothing that couldn't be done by any other team.

I'd call the Oculus Rift team on the cutting edge, pushing the envelope, instead of CDP. 

• Like 2

Pah.

The Oculus Rift is going to be a nice toy, but VR isn't going to be The Way We All Play Games In The Future.  The people who are convinced that Oculus will "save the industry" or whatever are just as mistaken as they were when they thought mobile and social would save the industry.  It's not the future, it's a future, one of many.

They are doing some staggeringly impressive work, there's no doubt about that, and they're absolutely on the cutting edge.  But you disdain developers of traditional television-based games at your peril.  VR will be a niche market for the foreseeable future, mark my words.  If they could do it without the headset, that would really be something.

I also question the assumption that any team could do what CDP's doing (or rather, what CDP says it's doing; I question if they can accomplish their aims).  It might be true that any team of sufficient size and manpower could assemble something like The Witcher 3, but it's a rare level of talent indeed that's required to marry a true open-world structure with true choice and consequence.  I can, in fact, think of only one game that's accomplished that goal successfully: New Vegas.  And even that was not without myriad flaws.

And then they sold out to Facebook.

Considering I consider The Witcher II a major dissapointment, and they want to add "open world bigger than Skyrim" to The Witcher III, I don't see it becoming the "next big game" anytime soon. More setting up for the biggest flop. Hope they prove otherwise, of course.

Got pretty high hopes for Watch Dogs. Much better use of open-world than a story-based RPG.

EDIT:

It's the only game where the open-world got me looking forward to it rather than sighing and going "I hope this is good despite the open-world"...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

• 5 weeks later...

I love the way the animation is coming, and the way the creatures move! Especially the Druid Cat Form. I've been gone from this website for quite a while, and remember back when y'all revealed the Druid shifted forms would be anthropomorphized animals. It worried me a bit since I plan to play them, but this just looks fantastic! It seems to have the best of the animal appearance and abilities (fur, teeth, eyes, long limbs, huge claws, a mean slash, etc) with the best of human bipedalism (doesn't seem to inhibit their movements too much).

After this, I'm really looking forward to trying out a druid in this game!

Edited by Faerunner

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.