Warhammer 40k RPG

cb.spike

Many game companies would love to have their hands on the 40K license. In previous interviews with Obsidian, Obsidian did express strong interest in making games for 40K.

The main hurdle is licensing cost, publisher's interest and what sort of RPG should be made out of it. A Mass Effect like RPG? Unlikely as it will carry a budget cost of AAA titles. Wastleland 2 quality? Maybe. But again it depends on the licensing cost, which should not be cheap considering Games Workshop is very protective of their property. 

Just hope Obsidian's PE will be a success, and one day Games Workshop might be willing to work together with Obsidian to make such game without a need for publisher.

• Like 2

I've said it before and I'll say it again: A Ninja Gaiden/DMC/Bayonetta-style game where you play as an Eldar Harlequin Solitaire.

Ooh, ooh! Maybe even a (old) Ghost Recon-style game where you play as Catachan Jungle Fighters.

As an aside, despite the license's storied history as part of the now defunct THQ, I'd say it's now better for it now that any company with enough vision for GW to give the okay can utilise it. I've heard it said on Relic's forums that Relic still retains the rights to the "Dawn of War" franchise of the 40K license, and given the talented people there GW would have to be stupid to not let them make a Dawn of War 3 when they eventually decide to make it (if the work has not already been started).

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

The main hurdle is licensing cost, publisher's interest and what sort of RPG should be made out of it. A Mass Effect like RPG? Unlikely as it will carry a budget cost of AAA titles. Wastleland 2 quality? Maybe. But again it depends on the licensing cost, which should not be cheap considering Games Workshop is very protective of their property. 

Isn't cost of licence same no matter if you are making huge RPG or shovelware like in link below? But lover cost of licence for "small" games would explaine why we are getting s*itload of games like this in next months:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/11229-Warhammer-40-000-Storm-of-Vengeance-Review-Borehammer

Sure. Making an RPG game with proper depth like Pillars of Eternity is far more time consuming, more expensive than a simplified "borehammer" gameplay meant for mobile games that could be made within a year. The cost isn't justifiable and you're pretty much better off making original IPs instead.

Edited by Zoma

I thought you were talking about cost of licence not about cost of potential production of whole RPG gmae. When I see what a load of crap is now produced under Warhammer 40K name, licence alone can't be that expensive. Kickstarter for RPG from this universe would be a goldmine. I know they probably want to use Kickstarter to create a new IP that Obsidian would own from begining again but clearly they are desperate for money (Free2Play tanks) so it would be safer to bet on existing universe wit such a huge fanbase that is desperate for good,not mindblowing, just good, game.

Well, if its' a 40K RPG, then you can't really play as a Space Marine. Too OP.

You'd probably play as an inquisitor (or his agent), traveling from planet to planet, unraveling mysteries.

Seeing an actual Space Marine should be rare and a moment of utter awe.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Well, if its' a 40K RPG, then you can't really play as a Space Marine. Too OP.

You'd probably play as an inquisitor (or his agent), traveling from planet to planet, unraveling mysteries.

Seeing an actual Space Marine should be rare and a moment of utter awe.

I cant wait for Eternal Crusade it supposed to be freaking awesome.

I would pay anything for a JA-style tactical RPG set in the 40K universe made by Obsidian.

I like the idea, even though after playing 'Dawn of War II', I have hard time to imagine how Ja-styled game can top that :/ In either case you are little late to the party, Slitherine already working on that. They made Panzer corps 2 a good ww2 game, but I am not sure if something like that would work for me with wh40 .

Chaos Gate is a great game. sadly there's something wrong with the cultist laspistols which crashes the game.

Way overdue a reskin.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Chaos Gate is otherwise good game, but you need to run it on windows 95/98 in virtual machine to get it work properly on modern machines, which of course means that you need to find windows 95/98 disc from somewhere and suffer its installation. Although running game in VM gives some benefits like ability never shut down the game, as you can only close VM and when you start VM again you can continue where you left the game last time, and moving game to other machines is simple as moving your VM image to other machine. 

I actually modded Chaos Gate.

Couldn't stand that Terminator power sword + shield was so crappy.

It's a great game. Have many fond memories. I played it again..about a year ago. Still good.

• Like 2

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

This looks like Xcom with different landing craft, sound track and way too many team members..

No really, Chaos Gate was brilliant. It was the best X-Com clone aside from Jagged Alliance 2. There was no geoscape map but each mission was hand crafted, which in some ways was an advantage and each level had great design. Being 40k there was an impressive amount of unit and equipment variation for the player and the enemies, units gained experience between missions so when you lost people you felt it, there were vehicles, both tanks and dreadnaughts, ect. ect. The art, sound, and soundtrack were also really top-notch for the time. It even had an editor as I recall but this was before the internet was a big thing so there was never a giant modding community. If they re-released it today I'd recommend it to X-Com fans. 

I would pay anything for a JA-style tactical RPG set in the 40K universe made by Obsidian.

I like the idea, even though after playing 'Dawn of War II', I have hard time to imagine how Ja-styled game can top that :/ In either case you are little late to the party, Slitherine already working on that. They made Panzer corps 2 a good ww2 game, but I am not sure if something like that would work for me with wh40 .

I thought Slitherine's game was more a TB strategy game in the style of Rites of War?

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I can't see the makeup market being very viable in 40k.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I thought Slitherine's game was more a TB strategy game in the style of Rites of War?

I am not familiar with 'Rites of War' (though it doesn't look like something I'll be playing) but their initial screenshot:

1D243A88CE634A51B104024ECBBDF6E9.jpg

Reminded me of their recent-ish 'Panzer corps 2' title (gameplay vid), which is something I enjoyed playing.

Plus you can use tanks, Dreadnaughts, Terminators. Good times. Imagine if the entire gameplay is managed like JA2.

I'm still playing Ja2 title from time to time(v13+mods), I love the tactical combat(despite its shortcomings especially in late game) the strategic, exploration and twinkle of rpg-ish element, never the less at this point I'd prefer Wh40k with RTS 'Dawn of War II' like gameplay hands down. Edited by Mor

• 4 weeks later...

The 40k setting is so incredibly rich and detailed. Maybe when PoE is released and gets massive praise (and money) that will show Games Workshop that there is money to be made in this genre. I mean, Games Workshop is losing profits on the tabletop front, and they seem to be diversifying the 40k licenses for videogames (space hulk, that android game-ported-to-PC, Eternal Crusade and that one during the Armaggeddon war). Clearly games are looking more and molre appealing to them - or so I hope.

I would kill for a game set during the Horus Heresy (I could really see a space 4X game set during this time period). Or a Republic Commando type of game where you get to play as a Commissair.  Or a stealth game where you play a Callidus or Vindicare assassin. So many options... But yeah, an RPG would be the best, possibly in third person with a lot of dakka to go around (a full blown Mass Effect RPG, I guess).