Another Icewind Dale kickstarter?

Will we have another Icewind Dale game? Thing is I like the combat mechanics of tactical isometric pause & play strategy games. Bravo to Bio/ex Black Isle team for creating this new genre.

There's a KS game like Tornent which emphasizes heavily on dialogue. PoE is striking a balance.

I wished to see a more heavier focused combat oriented game which has dialogue & story but a more heavier combat related rule-based game?

Thanks!. I will still play both PoE & Torment though.

I'm not sure about IWD-ish game but, indeed, I wonder if there is a chance that Obsidian/InXile work on games based on similar mechanic with different directions/content for upcoming years.  As far as my limited knowledge on game development goes, for a complex monster like CRPG, it would be reasonable to make the olde route of Infinity Engine games/NWN.  Means, crowd-fund the basic system and build/let the community build content around it for upcoming years so that they can sell olde style expansions for a few to several years.  The model fits a company like Obsidian, which is more valued by their content and it is more rational than building things from scratch every time.  If they are successful in satisfying enough people for years, they may be able to still make another crowd-funding campaign once the basic system become obsolete.  That said, after all, everything is upto Obsidian, though.

Will we have another Icewind Dale game? Thing is I like the combat mechanics of tactical isometric pause & play strategy games. Bravo to Bio/ex Black Isle team for creating this new genre.

There's a KS game like Tornent which emphasizes heavily on dialogue. PoE is striking a balance.

I wished to see a more heavier focused combat oriented game which has dialogue & story but a more heavier combat related rule-based game?

They didn't create a genre, RPGs were around long before BioWare or Interplay. 

PoE is going to have an Adventurer's Hall where you can create a party, like at the start of IWD. 

Sounds bit nitpicky to my ears.  However, indeed, probably, it was Darklands, which is also one of personal fav of the lead designer of PoE.  In fact, he is so much fan of the game that he seems to be backing a Kickstarter project, which appears to have a similar gameplay.  :-

• Like 1

RPGs may have been around, but I'm pretty sure those types of RPGs weren't - highly story-driven, companions that reacted to what you did, a large emphasis on exploration with hundreds of side-quests, seamless transition from exploration into tactical combat...these things weren't generally done in RPGs previously, and aren't generally done now either.

People often mock Baldur's Gate fans for our rose-tinted glasses, but the fact is, there's a reason why that game was considered such a classic, and there's a reason why nothing made since then has managed to capture us in quite the same way.

• Like 1

Ludacris fools!

He's not talking about RPGs, but isometric, patry-based RPGs with RTwP combat. Like Wombat mentioned, they weren't actually the first, but they definitely popularized that type of games, which is one definition for "creating a genre".

EDIT: Damn ninjas!

Edited by Caerdon

Sounds bit nitpicky to my ears.  However, indeed, probably, it was Darklands, which is also one of personal fav of the lead designer of PoE.  In fact, he is so much fan of the game that he seems to be backing a Kickstarter project, which appears to have a similar gameplay.  :-

Thanks for the link! That project looks really cool and I may just have to get backing it!

We might get something in the form of DLC Storm of Zehir style. Or maybe they'll put another team on that kind of game after they finish up on other projects. I doubt something will surface soon, though. I think we really need to see this game work before they make announcements to try something else in the IE style.

I know not everyone is a fan of the Forgotten Realms stuff, but I am and I'd love to see more games now that the legal issues with the license are over and there's obviously demand for similar RPGs.

Would prefer a  Baldur's Gate sequel, followed by a 'real' Neverwinter Nights before IWD. 

Edited by Chaos Theory

RPGs may have been around, but I'm pretty sure those types of RPGs weren't - highly story-driven, companions that reacted to what you did, a large emphasis on exploration with hundreds of side-quests, seamless transition from exploration into tactical combat...these things weren't generally done in RPGs previously, and aren't generally done now either.

People often mock Baldur's Gate fans for our rose-tinted glasses, but the fact is, there's a reason why that game was considered such a classic, and there's a reason why nothing made since then has managed to capture us in quite the same way.

Ultima 7 had some of the most robust exploration of any non-procedural game made.  I like the Interplay games better, but there were many games that got close before Baldur's Gate.  Darklands is still on the list for me to play (that one is procedural).

I am really hopping for another IWD game or something to that effect. IWD2 remains my favorite game to this day, the gameplay and setting remain the culmination of the IE games to this day. The soundtrack was epic too.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Yeah I'm looking forward on tactical isometric RTwP type of game that has lite story but heavier focus on combat.

Can't remember IWD or IWD2 the narrator's voice were breath-taking!! Totally suits the settings of the snowy feeling

If you want party based Diablo, I am OK with that, but please do not dignify it with the term "Role Playing Game." Icewind Dale was not a RPG. Temple of Elemental Evil was not an RPG. There are third person shooters that are closer to being RPGs than those.

• Like 1

I think Obsidian's next kickstarter will more than likely be in a different genre than PoE, but I think a Sci-Fi combat heavy tactical RPG would be pretty fun.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

If you want party based Diablo, I am OK with that, but please do not dignify it with the term "Role Playing Game." Icewind Dale was not a RPG. Temple of Elemental Evil was not an RPG. There are third person shooters that are closer to being RPGs than those.

LOL

I think Obsidian's next kickstarter will more than likely be in a different genre than PoE, but I think a Sci-Fi combat heavy tactical RPG would be pretty fun.

My head is mashing Mass Effect and Xcom Enemy Unknown together, and I want it.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think an Icewind Dale-like product would best be self-funded, perhaps as an expansion pack for Pillars of Eternity.

Kickstarter should be used for launching the production of full-scale RPGs with a larger scope. There's no reason to aim lower than that.

• Like 2

I think an Icewind Dale-like product would best be self-funded, perhaps as an expansion pack for Pillars of Eternity.

Kickstarter should be used for launching the production of full-scale RPGs with a larger scope. There's no reason to aim lower than that.

Though I don't agree on it being an expansion, I do think that it should be self funded. If PoE is a smash hit(withing the Iso-game community) then I don't see why they couldn't do it.

Who knows? It's not something I'll throw money after, though. I was never able to get into the IWD games. The lack of interaction between the characters and the endless combat sequences made it utter boredom to me.

• Like 1