What is Pillars of Eternity?

Hi guys, :)

I am sorry, i am new to this game, i have watched some trailers on You Tube also some videos that have suggestion about this game, but i know nothing about this game other than what is there on You Tube

Can someone tell me about this game, is it a new game or already established? Where could i find more about this game?

Thanks.

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system - positioning your party and coordinating attacks and abilities is one of the keys to success. The world map is dotted with unique locations and wilderness ripe for exploration and questing. You’ll create your own character and collect companions along the way – taking him or her not just through this story, but, with your continued support, through future adventures. You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.

Still no better summary than that one. If you're wondering what Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment are, well, I envy you. You're in for about six hundred hours of some of the greatest video games ever made.

• Like 1

Can someone tell me about this game, is it a new game or already established?

We are the ones who founded Eternity.

We are those who threw cash with valor for its development.

And as time goes by we will be ones responsible for its release.

We made this game possible.

We are Eternimous. We are Legion. We do not play 'till it's done. Expect us.

• Like 5

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Thanks all :)

http://eternity.obsidian.net/

I don't mean to be rude, but it's on the front page of the website. 

I didn't go to front page, i just go to KotOr 2 forum instead..sorry

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system - positioning your party and coordinating attacks and abilities is one of the keys to success. The world map is dotted with unique locations and wilderness ripe for exploration and questing. You’ll create your own character and collect companions along the way – taking him or her not just through this story, but, with your continued support, through future adventures. You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.

Still no better summary than that one. If you're wondering what Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment are, well, I envy you. You're in for about six hundred hours of some of the greatest video games ever made.

I know Baldur's Gate but never play it, Bioware games i started with KotOR and then DA:O and DA2. The only Obsidian game i play is KotOR 2.

From what i see so far it does look like Dragon Age, if it is, then that take my interest :yes:

But the graphic look like older games isn't it? I mean not something will come out from 2014

Personally, neither DA game could hope to hold a candle to the old IE products. Plenty flash, not enough bang. DA2 was almost criminally bad. 

But the graphic look like older games isn't it? I mean not something will come out from 2014

Yes, the game is isometric - Which is pretty much one of the biggest hooks that snagged all us filthy backer types. Graphics and lighting, from what we've seen, are shaping up to be superb. 

• Like 1

Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

What about now?

It is meant to be that way, resembling the good ol' cRPG's of Infinity Engine primetime.

Personally, neither DA game could hope to hold a candle to the old IE products. Plenty flash, not enough bang. DA2 was almost criminally bad. 

Yes, the game is isometric - Which is pretty much one of the biggest hooks that snagged all us filthy backer types. Graphics and lighting, from what we've seen, are shaping up to be superb. 

I know DA2 is bad enough lol

I don't mind much about graphic actually as long as it is not like Arcanum in which too pain to see.

Anyway, the game is still in developement isn't it, then i wish you guys good luck. I will seek out this game if God will :yes:

• Like 1

Or just back along at

http://eternity.obsidian.net/

;)

(psst, it's cheaper. Atleast for the few months after release)

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Back, back... back it up, like this!

*fat beat*

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I don't mind much about graphic actually as long as it is not like Arcanum in which too pain to see.

Anyway, the game is still in developement isn't it, then i wish you guys good luck. I will seek out this game if God will :yes:

the camera will be like that of arcanum but the graphics will be much more clean... just look at some screenshots.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

The Eternity Project was a dream given form. It's goal to preserve the rpg genre, by creating a memorial to the heroic past, that the discerning might back and thereby ensure hope remains. It can be a troubling place, truculent humans and foul degenerate promancers prowl its halls, seventy thousand voices crying out into the night, but it is our last, best hope for a return of good crpg's.

The year is 2014, the name of the thing is Poe.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The game is designed to be sharp, detailed and vibrant and to look great at 1080p and beyond. Just check out the screenshots for yourself.

the camera will be like that of arcanum but the graphics will be much more clean... just look at some screenshots.

So there is no 360 degree rotation? I think there will be some problem with that, especially when want to position your team mates. In DA:O we can rotate the camera and so we can micromanage our party members

Example, AoE spells, with rotating camera we can position our spells where we want to execute them. If can't rotate the camera, it will be like Diablo, you can't attack enemies off screen, but enemies can attack you off screen

Edited by Qistina

So there is no 360 degree rotation? I think there will be some problem with that, especially when want to position your team mates. In DA:O we can rotate the camera and so we can micromanage our party members

Example, AoE spells, with rotating camera we can position our spells where we want to execute them. If can't rotate the camera, it will be like Diablo, you can't attack enemies off screen, but enemies can attack you off screen

Game's camera is not locked on your party or any of your characters, which mean that you can always move camera to see enemies that are off screen.

And as maps are designed isometric projection in mind, which means that buildings and obstacles are designed so that they don't block players line of sight or if they do they will become transparent if any character goes behind them, so that you can have unobstructed view on battlefield. 

@Qistina:

While I see what you're saying (and feel rather sad that I know at least one person is going to post the equivalent of "NO IT DOESN'T SHUT UP" screeched in a reedy voice, but that seems to be the price of doing business where geeks are concerned), a lot of us find party positioning and management much more enjoyable from a fixed top-down perspective, myself included. The games which PoE is primarily a successor to do admittedly have some tremendously irritating issues on that score, but those are problems with the games rather than inherent problems with top-down play. If the game is of the quality we're expecting, I promise you that what you're describing won't be a problem.

And, in fact, it wasn't a problem in the games on which PoE is based. They did have issues, most notably with AI and pathfinding, but not once in any Infinity Engine game have I ever encountered things like enemies attacking you from offscreen. The games are designed in such a way that it is a non-issue.

Edited by Ffordesoon

Do yourself a favor and try any of these games out. You can get them cheap on gog.com or even get updated refreshes of Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate 2 on steam. My recommendation would be BG2 or Planescape: Torment.

To many of us, these games, along with the original Fallouts, are the absolute pinnacle of the golden age of rpg's. Everything else just pales in comparison.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I second giving the classics a try love. I'd recommend playing BG2 first, but you might want to read up on gameplay a bit first. Playing BG1 does give you a bit more time to get used to the mechanics, but until you hit level 3 your party will die pretty often and resurrection is pretty expensive. Not to mention BG1 has a lot less action than BG2.

In all cases, the games take a little getting used to but once you get into a game it's pretty hard to stop.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Fair warning: these games can be very overwhelming at first, they're damned unforgiving, and they take their time to get going. Presentation-wise, more recent games like Dragon Age are absolutely more impressive and welcoming to new players.

Treat them like you would a classic novel. Don't be afraid to look up strategies or optimal party builds for your first time through, and look for lists of recommended mods. Also, for the love of God, mod the walking speeds in BG1 if you start with that one (which I recommend, since you can bring over characters from BG1 to BG2 (though you're really just bringing over the build; don't expect continuity with your specific BG1 choices and experiences)). You can start with either, but the full experience is so much more affecting if you go through everything in one big gulp.

I personally would start with a game nobody else here will recommend you start with: Icewind Dale. It's a linear dungeon crawler focused on combat, and as such acts as a lengthy tutorial for the BG games. Planescape is the other best starting point, but it has a very slow opening. IWD is much more straightforward, and isn't as initally overwhelming or bewildering as BG or Planescape. I know that makes it sound like a lesser game, and it is a slighter one, but that's still pretty hefty by comparison to the games I'm (probably unfairly/wrongly) assuming you're used to. Maybe not quite DA:O or Skyrim-level, but grander in terms of play than, say, Mass Effect.

But you can really start with any of them and have a great time.

Edited by Ffordesoon

you can also find a lot of extra details about pillar of eternity on the wiki http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/

For a second there I thought he asked what is the meaning of "pillars of eternity", I don't suppose the dev spilled the beans on this or the watcher mystery. Speaking of which, do we know he major "zero" event, which starts the calendar they keep referencing to?

Playing BG1 does give you a bit more time to get used to the mechanics, but until you hit level 3 your party will die pretty often and resurrection is pretty expensive.

Quickload isn't THAT expensive ;)

• Like 2