Stuck at begining - fight with Elves in C-mans b-yard

FuglyStick

Question

General Conditions:

- Just installed, brand new out of the package for PS3.

- Patch 1.1 applied from PSN at time of first loading (PS3 has the latest updates installed from PSN).

- Followed link to apply game code for bonus content. Completed successfully.

- Just started playing my very first character as a rogue.

Problem:

In the series of three battles against "Elves" after exiting tent in Cartman's back yard (right at the beginning as lvl 1), every time I get to the battle with the guy that is wielding the two-handed hammer and a shield guy, I defeat shield guy, but then I am unable to continue battle because it only allows me the option to use my dagger attack against two-handed hammer guy... which hammer-guy's stance will not allow.

- I am unable to select any other combat type (other than the plain dagger attack)

- After the one time it does allow me to attack him -- at which time I am notified that attack will not work on him -- I am no longer even able to attack the only guy standing there in the battle as he is greyed out and my dagger has the circle-slash symbol indicating unusable.

- I even quit the game and returned to save point inside Cartman's tent just prior to the battle, but always have the same result in the third battle.

- I also have the bow equipped -- as required in the second battle -- but it's use is not an available option for this fight, nor is my special backstab attack, nor is the use of any item...

As far as I know, I am carrying ever single item available at this point in the game.

So basically... I'm stuck and can't proceed past this point...

Is this a known issue / bug?

Is it avoidable some how?

5 answers to this question

Had the same issue on PC.

Start with attacking the hammer-wielding fella first.

Cartman will say something like "see, told you".

Continue the fight.

There should be three fights in the opening, I think he's on the third, while the one you describe is the second - riposting/reflecting (it doesn't matter which order the elves are hit on the regular screen, the battles end up the same order every time)

Initial one should include - take damage → using items → blocking and counter attack.

Second one should be - riposting → attack riposted after Cartman says the guys just standing there so hit him → given bow → kill back elf w/bow → front elf switches from riposting to reflecting and is now vulnerable to physical attack or power attack.

Since the poster said he's got the bow (introduced in the fight) he's on the third fight.  IIRC he's supposed to multiple hit attack the armored elf (upper character using the normal attack and the "X" button the rogue should get three hits),  then when multiple hits are landed and the character is killed, he's supposed to then hit the high defensive character with his Rogue's dagger's "hard" hit (the square button on the PS3).  Neither character should be in a reflecting/reposting stance IIRC.

Assuming he's done that, and its not letting him go on I'm at a loss.  At a thought, I'm wondering if he used a "X" attack on the last attack of the third elf fight instead of a "square" and that's created the problem?

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Had the same issue on PC.

Start with attacking the hammer-wielding fella first.

Cartman will say something like "see, told you".

Continue the fight.

There should be three fights in the opening, I think he's on the third, while the one you describe is the second - riposting/reflecting (it doesn't matter which order the elves are hit on the regular screen, the battles end up the same order every time)

Initial one should include - take damage → using items → blocking and counter attack.

Second one should be - riposting → attack riposted after Cartman says the guys just standing there so hit him → given bow → kill back elf w/bow → front elf switches from riposting to reflecting and is now vulnerable to physical attack or power attack.

Since the poster said he's got the bow (introduced in the fight) he's on the third fight.  IIRC he's supposed to multiple hit attack the armored elf (upper character using the normal attack and the "X" button the rogue should get three hits),  then when multiple hits are landed and the character is killed, he's supposed to then hit the high defensive character with his Rogue's dagger's "hard" hit (the square button on the PS3).  Neither character should be in a reflecting/reposting stance IIRC.

Assuming he's done that, and its not letting him go on I'm at a loss.  At a thought, I'm wondering if he used a "X" attack on the last attack of the third elf fight instead of a "square" and that's created the problem?

@Amentep - It sounds like you understand my plight correctly.

The interface is telling me the dagger can not be used against the second opponent with the 2-handed hammer in the third fight (after the initial attack where Cartman makes the "see, I told you" comment, and yet, that is the only item, weapon and attack I can choose... I'm unsure what else I could even try as it has ended in the same result replaying the whole sequence over ten times upon leaving the tent.

So you killed the first guy, correct?

And did you do a heavy attack on your first attack on the second guy (square on the PS3 with the dagger attack)?

(I can't remember Cartman's exact wording in the fight, so I'm trying to remember what he prompts you to do).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man