Has any work started on the expansion yet?

Are you talking about Obsidian or MoldyCheese (or the people who figured the entire game was a KS exclusive)?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

EDIT:

And I just thought, based on Adam's new post... since the X-pack is based on the income of PE... how can they really calculate/know that at this point?

The expansion pack's budget isn't based on Eternity sales. We have already decided (and promised) that we are doing it.

How it works is that Feargus gives us a rough budget/man month number for the expansion. I then play employee Tetris to find a combination of people, roles, and time that all make sense. Once I have a basic timeline and the overall budget, I show it to Adam and Josh so we can talk about any potential pitfalls that we may run into. I also show it to others that I trust to give it a good evaluation (like Matt Singh, for example).

Once we all feel good about it, I present the proposed schedule along with all comments and concerns we have to Feargus. An example of a concern might be something along the lines of having someone run as a lead of a department that has never been a lead in the past. Once we lay everything on the table, Feargus tells me what his thoughts are and we modify (or argue our positions). Ultimately, this gives us a rough plan as to when we are starting and who will likely be on it.

Like Adam has mentioned, we have started brainstorming. In the coming months the Project Director and Lead Narrative Designer will probably start talking more and more about what they want to do with the expansion. Once we get more concrete info, we will send it out to our backers. I wouldn't expect that for a long time, though.

• Like 9

please please please go somewhere tropical for the expansion!

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

All those funds went into PoE base.

They said specifically the x-pack would be funded by the profits made from selling PoE (which apparently more missed, some even thinking PoE was only sold to backers, as seen in the Paradox threads).

You're so certain and still way off. Perhaps a more humble approach would suit better?

Anyways, seems like the devs are on top of things. Goodie.

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Just relaying information given explicitely by the devs themselves (in this case, when the expansion got announced on Kickstarter).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts?page=12

Due to popular demand and for a limited time, we are offering the ability to add our first expansion pack, due out approximately six months after Project Eternity ships. Any money contributed to add-on the expansion now will be used to make the main game larger. The expansion budget is not being created by money from this Kickstarter.

• Digital Download of Expansion Pack + $20 (included in tiers $165 and above)
I can't find the "we will make the x-pack form PoE profits" quote right now though...

EDIT:

So far I found this;

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61770-is-4m-enough/?p=1254973

[Adam] More likely we’ll try to self-publish it, using the profits that we make from selling Project Eternity. If it’s that successful we can make enough money to fund the next title. That’s kind of what we’re planning on doing for the expansion. We’d prefer to self-fund rather than go through the Kickstarter. I think fans enjoy doing it, but it’s a risk to them since they don’t know if the game is going to get made or not. It’s also a lot of work on our end to manage a Kickstarter campaign. So we’d rather be able to self-fund our projects.

Check the search paramers I used yourself;

http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1

Several people over various times mentioned the X-pack being funded by PoE profits way before me. I just can't find the exact source... but where's smoke...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

It depends. The expansion for BG1 apparently includes a lot of cut content, so perhaps the PoE expansion will contain some of that.

It's safe to assume they have a general idea of the expansion's contents.

They don't need to cut content. The game is fully funded.

please please please go somewhere tropical for the expansion!

That would be cool, i think desert can fall near tropical enough as well.  We might get some bigger picture of PoE world.

I'm hoping for the Vailian Republics. Especially Spirento sounds interesting.

Personally i'm hoping that the expansion simply builds on what we explore in the main game, a new area perhaps (exotic and interesting hopefully) but also access to the old areas so that the setting steadily grows as we explore it.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Every game has cut content. That's only natural, and in most cases, a good thing.

^

Personally i'm hoping that the expansion simply builds on what we explore in the main game, a new area perhaps (exotic and interesting hopefully) but also access to the old areas so that the setting steadily grows as we explore it.

Yeah, I would like in the expansion to revisit some previous areas of the main game, mainly cities and villages. I think Defiance Bay has a good potential for the expansion, for new quests. I hope devs take this into account. To reuse old areas is an easy way to increase hours of gameplay to the expansion.

New areas+reused old areas= Perfect expansion

I hope that expansion has enough hours of gameplay. I remember Heart of Winter was too short.

Edited by juanval

Every game has cut content. That's only natural, and in most cases, a good thing.

Well, okay, yes, but the kind of cut content that gets added into an expansion is usually stuff that they didn't have the time, or the money, to put into the base game, usually because a publisher needs to push a game out by a certain date. While they likely have a budgeted timeframe for how long the game is expected to take to make, and can't realistically exceed that, there's no reason to think they will do so, and thus they can include all the content that they originally plan to.

i bet you the expansion includes more wilderness locations and 3 more companions ;) and then it'll also include other stuff they wanted to add but didn't have the time to.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Employee Tetris is never fun. Sounds like someone needs a cake.

That would be such an amazingly fun manpower budgeting software solution! You input the specs on all your employees, and it builds them into Tetris shapes. If you can't clear the lines before your shape-ployees hit the top, then it's not gonna work.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Employee Tetris is never fun. Sounds like someone needs a cake.

That would be such an amazingly fun manpower budgeting software solution! You input the specs on all your employees, and it builds them into Tetris shapes. If you can't clear the lines before your shape-ployees hit the top, then it's not gonna work.

I was really hoping Game Dev Tycoon would be like this.

It wasn't.

• Like 1

Hey now... Game Dev Tycoon is pretty fun for what it is. But, you're right. I think it would benefit from an Employee Tetris component. We should pitch that to them. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Not all games need to be 500 spreadsheets of data to wrestle through.

Actually, I usually don't like games like that... 0_o

^