Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What race will you play as?

race poll player character races play as

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

Poll: What race will you play as? (282 member(s) have cast votes)

What race will you play as?

1. Human (95 votes [33.69%])

Percentage of vote: 33.69%

2. Elf (35 votes [12.41%])

Percentage of vote: 12.41%

3. Dwarf (19 votes [6.74%])

Percentage of vote: 6.74%

4. Godlike (87 votes [30.85%])

Percentage of vote: 30.85%

5. Orlan (21 votes [7.45%])

Percentage of vote: 7.45%

6. Aumaua (25 votes [8.87%])

Percentage of vote: 8.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

If you think Dwarven brethren get no love, try the female of the species.

Much truth!

My definition of 'cool looking character' may vary somewhat from average. I wanted sideburns for my NWN2 dwarf-lass.

You could've just had her taunt a dragon, then barely escape its flamey breath by hiding behind a narrow column. That would've resulted in side burns. 8)

Jarrakul

Jarrakul

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I've played female dwarves multiple times. My DA1 character in particular was an exiled dwarf princess, and was pretty freaking awesome. But yeah, they're totally underrepresented.

• Death Machine Miyagi likes this

Death Machine Miyagi

Death Machine Miyagi

Obsidian Order's Devourer of Souls

• Validating
  • 537 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I've played female dwarves multiple times. My DA1 character in particular was an exiled dwarf princess, and was pretty freaking awesome. But yeah, they're totally underrepresented.

I was thinking of playing a human, but the more I think about it, the more appealing a dwarf sounds. Specifically one who defies tired cliches, like a female beardless dwarven mage who speaks with an Italian accent and drinks tea. 

Helz

Helz

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Steam:wulfcadarn

I think the whole "female dwarves have beards" concept pretty much killed their appeal.

• Messier-31 likes this

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Is Cimmerian a playable race?

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1914 posts

Is Cimmerian a playable race?

We call them Russians now.

• JFSOCC and Scottfree6000 like this

Cardo

Cardo

Obsidian Order Risk Assessor

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Probably going as human :)

Jarrakul

Jarrakul

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think the whole "female dwarves have beards" concept pretty much killed their appeal.

Only to people who feel that every female character needs to be sexually attractive. I'm rather ambivalent on the issue of beards on dwarf women, but I hardly see why it's any weirder than elf men not being able to grow beards.

Than again, my opinions have been known to be rather strange.

• Fluff likes this

Fluff

Fluff

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 57 posts

Only to people who feel that every female character needs to be sexually attractive. I'm rather ambivalent on the issue of beards on dwarf women, but I hardly see why it's any weirder than elf men not being able to grow beards.

Than again, my opinions have been known to be rather strange.

While I agree entirely with your main point I wanted to play devils advocate and point out that many real ethnicity's of men cannot grow proper facial hair or possibly any facial hair..not so much normal for women growing bears though.

Jarrakul

Jarrakul

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That is a fair point, Fluff. Although women with beards are far from unheard of in the real world, I don't know of any ethnicities that tend strongly towards it. But, as you note, I think the core of the argument survives. Sometimes fantasy races aren't like humans.

Also, and this is sort of tangential, I have never seen a setting where dwarf women naturally grow beards but sometimes they shave. I find that somewhat curious.

Fluff

Fluff

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 57 posts

Yeah, while I'm entirely on your side I just wanted to point out people have a fairly strong reason for not being (whether their reason should be considered "right" or not is a totally different subject though).

I'd never really thought of your second comment though, and that is sort of strange. Actually, now that I think of it I'm hard pressed to think of many.. if any fantasy settings for other races where they shared any form of cultural alteration to their bodies for beauty. Shaving, specific hairstyles, specific clothing styles, piercings, tattoos, unnaturally colored hair, etc.

While in the real world most are very heavily influenced by physical appearance in these settings everyone seems to be very ambiguously natural and uncaring of such things. The races and sometimes everyone combined are usually very uniform.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

In DnD/fantasy the vast majority of dwarven females have no beards.  It's a myth that they do. This misconception is beyond silly. I also think it came to be because somewhere it was written that when 'dwarven females go out into human lands for adventuring or whatnot they MAY (not always) grow a beard to disguise themselves as males', Just look at the Complete Book of Dwarves. The female dwarves in that book are beardless. As they should be.

As for the poll, dwarf of course. Most of these other races are wannabes.

Barothmuk

Barothmuk

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 233 posts

Age of Wonders 3 has bearded females however their beards aren't nearly as impressive as the males'.

AOW3_02.jpg

Jarrakul

Jarrakul

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Oldschool D&D has a lot of talk of bearded female dwarves. Also very few visual depictions of them. As media have become more visual, female dwarves have tended to lose their beards, presumably because bearded women aren't conventionally sexy. Again, I don't really care one way or the other, but it does bother me that people tend to go "ew, gross, that shouldn't be in the game." Sometimes biology is gross. Somethings other species aren't conventionally attractive. I fail to see the problem.

But, again, this isn't actually a big deal. It looks like Eternity's dwarf women probably don't have beards, and I have no problem with that.

• Fluff likes this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

'Oldschool D&D has a lot of talk of bearded female dwarves.'

Define 'a lot'. I've been around D&D for nearly 30 years and 'bearded female dwarves' were FAR from the norm. I love the fact you claim bearded  women are 'convetionally sexy'. L0L  Like it's a matter of taste:P.  Bearded women aren't sexy. period.

Jarrakul

Jarrakul

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

'Oldschool D&D has a lot of talk of bearded female dwarves.'

Define 'a lot'. I've been around D&D for nearly 30 years and 'bearded female dwarves' were FAR from the norm. I love the fact you claim bearded  women are 'convetionally sexy'. L0L  Like it's a matter of taste:P.  Bearded women aren't sexy. period.

Sadly, I am not currently in my home and therefore do not have any of my D&D books around to quote from. Honestly, my use of "a lot" was deliberately vague. Normally I'd just wait to reply to you until I had sources, but the second bit needs to be addressed.

I assume you mean that I'm saying they aren't conventionally sexy, because that's what I said. Typos happen, that's cool, but I just want to be clear that that's how I read your post. Having said that, it is absolutely a matter of taste. Sexiness in general is a matter of taste. I like masculine women and feminine men. Not everyone does, but I do. That doesn't tend to extend as far as beards, but you know what? A beard on a woman wouldn't be a deal breaker for me (except as far as a beard on a man would be a deal breaker; some beards are just icky). So, I guess there's your counter-example right there. Where do you get off telling other people what they're attracted to?

• Lephys and Fluff like this

Jarrakul

Jarrakul

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Since I don't have my books at the moment, I just did some quick Google research. Tolkien dwarf women almost certainly had beards, as inferred from a stated similarity in appearance to the men and the fact that it's quite clear that beards are highly characteristic of dwarves (to the point that it would be impossible to mistake someone for a male dwarf without a beard). D&D, naturally, varies according to campaign settings, but both Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms have bearded dwarf women. Interestingly enough, they apparently often shave in both settings, so I guess I have to eat my words regarding that never showing up.

EDIT: Edited for clarity.

Edited by Jarrakul, 07 April 2014 - 12:00 PM.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Welp... thanks to Volourn, the sheer existence of subjectivity has been called into question. I'm honestly not sure what to say. :)

"Dude, flies eat poop, therefore poop is delicious! It's not like it can JUST be delicious to flies but be disgusting to other creatures/people. u_u"
  • Fluff likes this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

But,t hat's not subjective. Stating flies like eating poop is not the same as everyone likes eating poop.

I have never met a man ( or lesbian for that matter) who are attracted to women with beards more than they are to women without beards.

. "Tolkien dwarf women almost certainly had beards, as inferred from a stated similarity in appearance to the men"

Human women are similar to human men but they tend not to grow beards (though physically they cand epending on testosterone levels).  By your 'proof', I could say dwarven women and dwarven men both have the same body parts between their legs because it is 'inferred' they are similiar. L0L But, we both know that isn't the case, right?

\That being said, I'm sure dwarven women are more likely to have beards than, say, human women, since it is obvious that dwarves as a species have more testosterone. And, elves have far less hence the lack of even elven males having beards.

Who knows what Tolkien thinks about dwarven women since I don't recall one ever playing a major (or even minor) role in any of his books (likely because he was sexist). But, yeah, it is posisble, Tolkien women have beards  but that don't impress me much.

DnD dwarven women, on the other hand, while able to grow beards, normally don't have 'em - except  like I said above when travelling around humans for disguise. Also, look at the Complete Book of Dwarves.  The females in that book from my memory are all clean shaven.

Dwarven women beards. Love the internet. :)

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3317 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

All except dwarf and orlan 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: race, poll, player character, races, play as

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users