Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What race will you play as?

race poll player character races play as

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

Poll: What race will you play as? (282 member(s) have cast votes)

What race will you play as?

1. Human (95 votes [33.69%])

Percentage of vote: 33.69%

2. Elf (35 votes [12.41%])

Percentage of vote: 12.41%

3. Dwarf (19 votes [6.74%])

Percentage of vote: 6.74%

4. Godlike (87 votes [30.85%])

Percentage of vote: 30.85%

5. Orlan (21 votes [7.45%])

Percentage of vote: 7.45%

6. Aumaua (25 votes [8.87%])

Percentage of vote: 8.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Woldan

Woldan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Most of them, a new race for each playthrough. Though I voted human because thats what I'm going to chose for my first playthrough. 

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I never liked playing as non-humanoid races, so I don't know if I'll ever play a Godlike, orlan or an aumaua

But the Godlike are humanoid. In fact, I think all the races are humanoid. Even if you meant "very, very human-like," I believe the Godlike are variants of any race, like a sub-race. So, you could make a Human Godlike. Just for what that's worth (you're still free to wish to not do that.)

If I understand correctly, godlike get a bonus to dex, and since I always play a speedy stabber or boxer I'll likely go that rout. I do hope you can be a short godlike being though.

I don't know that DEX, in this game, actually affects attack speed. I think just your base weapon speed, plus your armor detriment (heavier armor = slower action speed), plus maybe some bonuses from things like talents, skills, or specializations? That's your attack speed, that we know of.

As far as I know, DEX will only grant you increased accuracy (and, consequently, fewer misses and grazes and more hits and criticals, overall.)

Remmirath

Remmirath

Obsidian Order's Knight of Chaos

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Steam:Remmirath
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I voted elf, because that is likely what I'll have as my first main character, but I expect that I'll play them all eventually in one form or another (be it as more characters in that party, or as later main characters). Of course, that's also just what I'm thinking is most likely right now -- I might have a different idea by the time the game actually comes out and I'm playing it.

Helz

Helz

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Steam:wulfcadarn
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Depends a lot on which class I decide to go with first.  If a fighter, probably a mountain dwarf.  If a wizard then a human or maybe a Godlike.  Definitely not an elf.

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
All?

If you don't try every race then you're probably missing out on something worthwhile.
  • Lephys likes this

catspwnme

catspwnme

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts
Orlan rogue! Will play all though no doubt. Second will be a human Druid.

Failion

Failion

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 311 posts

Big factor for me is how they look and animate in game. Take dwarves for example if they have a specific walking animation or if they have cool looking armor/robe sets. I'll choose them over plain jayne humans. Kind of how ogres were handled in Arcanum they felt like another creature in the game world rather then another paper doll in the infinity engine games.

darklion

darklion

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

Godlike for my first run.

Depending on how much the game recognizes your race/class/background, the Amamua sound intriguing and of course the obligatory human and elf playthrough.

Zeckul

Zeckul

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 283 posts

For some reason I always play human, perhaps because I can more easily relate to my character this way (or perhaps because I lack imagination altogether).

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I always hate playing as Human when they're simply the non-exotic choice, but then LOVE playing as Human when they're made even the least bit interesting.

ReyVagabond

ReyVagabond

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:ReyVagabond
  • Kickstarter Backer

Can i Say all of them?

Aumaua Druid, Human Barbarian, Orlan fighter, dwarf Rogue...so many choices i want them all

Fluff

Fluff

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 57 posts

I definitely want to try them all out as others have mentioned, my top two are easily Orlan and Godlike though.

R.Alexander

R.Alexander

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
Human paladin most likely

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5181 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
More than likely I won't decide this or class until I have the game in my hand. I'll create whatever grabs me at that time.

Bavarian

Bavarian

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts

Human to start with more the likely.  The typical old man wizard seething with power is just about always the first character to suck me in.

Jarrakul

Jarrakul

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Dwarf. Because honestly, there's nothing quite like being four-foot-nothing and making the tall folks look like pansies.

• Lephys likes this

Lord Gorchnik

Lord Gorchnik

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's sad to see so little love for our Dwarven bretheren.

• Jarrakul and Thuringwethil like this

Fluff

Fluff

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 57 posts

Dwarfs(Dwarves?) would probably be one of my top picks if not for Orlans..more specifically Wild Orlans, I want to be a small furry beast.

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's sad to see so little love for our Dwarven bretheren.

You could say that interest in them so far has been... dwarfed... by the interest in the other races?

8)

Thuringwethil

Thuringwethil

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

If you think Dwarven brethren get no love, try the female of the species.  I played one on a NWN2 server for a couple of years - I think one of four in the hundreds of characters over the history of that server.

For my first PoE playthrough, I'll probably consider the prewritten companions so as to maximize race/class variety in the party, my whim at the time of what sort of role I want (I tend to favor tanky sorts with at least a few magical options, but variety's the spice of life and all that) and yes, how cool a character looks.

My definition of 'cool looking character' may vary somewhat from average. I wanted sideburns for my NWN2 dwarf-lass.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: race, poll, player character, races, play as

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users