282 members have voted

1. 1. What race will you play as?

• Human
    • Elf
    • Dwarf
    • Godlike
    • Orlan
    • Aumaua

Big factor for me is how they look and animate in game. Take dwarves for example if they have a specific walking animation or if they have cool looking armor/robe sets. I'll choose them over plain jayne humans. Kind of how ogres were handled in Arcanum they felt like another creature in the game world rather then another paper doll in the infinity engine games.

I always hate playing as Human when they're simply the non-exotic choice, but then LOVE playing as Human when they're made even the least bit interesting.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

More than likely I won't decide this or class until I have the game in my hand. I'll create whatever grabs me at that time.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It's sad to see so little love for our Dwarven bretheren.

You could say that interest in them so far has been... dwarfed... by the interest in the other races?

8)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

If you think Dwarven brethren get no love, try the female of the species.  I played one on a NWN2 server for a couple of years - I think one of four in the hundreds of characters over the history of that server.

For my first PoE playthrough, I'll probably consider the prewritten companions so as to maximize race/class variety in the party, my whim at the time of what sort of role I want (I tend to favor tanky sorts with at least a few magical options, but variety's the spice of life and all that) and yes, how cool a character looks.

My definition of 'cool looking character' may vary somewhat from average. I wanted sideburns for my NWN2 dwarf-lass.

If you think Dwarven brethren get no love, try the female of the species.

Much truth!

My definition of 'cool looking character' may vary somewhat from average. I wanted sideburns for my NWN2 dwarf-lass.

You could've just had her taunt a dragon, then barely escape its flamey breath by hiding behind a narrow column. That would've resulted in side burns. 8)

I've played female dwarves multiple times. My DA1 character in particular was an exiled dwarf princess, and was pretty freaking awesome. But yeah, they're totally underrepresented.

I was thinking of playing a human, but the more I think about it, the more appealing a dwarf sounds. Specifically one who defies tired cliches, like a female beardless dwarven mage who speaks with an Italian accent and drinks tea. 

I think the whole "female dwarves have beards" concept pretty much killed their appeal.

Only to people who feel that every female character needs to be sexually attractive. I'm rather ambivalent on the issue of beards on dwarf women, but I hardly see why it's any weirder than elf men not being able to grow beards.

Than again, my opinions have been known to be rather strange.

• Like 1

I think the whole "female dwarves have beards" concept pretty much killed their appeal.

Only to people who feel that every female character needs to be sexually attractive. I'm rather ambivalent on the issue of beards on dwarf women, but I hardly see why it's any weirder than elf men not being able to grow beards.

Than again, my opinions have been known to be rather strange.

While I agree entirely with your main point I wanted to play devils advocate and point out that many real ethnicity's of men cannot grow proper facial hair or possibly any facial hair..not so much normal for women growing bears though.

That is a fair point, Fluff. Although women with beards are far from unheard of in the real world, I don't know of any ethnicities that tend strongly towards it. But, as you note, I think the core of the argument survives. Sometimes fantasy races aren't like humans.

Also, and this is sort of tangential, I have never seen a setting where dwarf women naturally grow beards but sometimes they shave. I find that somewhat curious.