Armored Warfare - Obsidian User Thread

C2B

I feel Obsidian talents are not beign put to good use by working on a project like this, unless they plan to add some sort of single player campaign to AW.

The website does say there will be PvE missions as well, so I'm assuming those are single player (at least some of them).

If this is anything like their Skyforge deal, than it is a low risk project for Obsidian that helps keep the money flowing in.  Nothing to really be worried about.  It's a bit odd to think what their role is in this though.

They're the developer. This is their other big game announcement.

Huh...

Where the heck is the press release?

Obsidian Entertainment and My.com Lock and Load Tactical Military MMO Game Armored Warfare for PC in 2014

Text Size

Published: Thursday, 20 Mar 2014 | 9:05 AM ET

Award-Winning Studio Brings Team-based Modern Military Vehicular Combat in a Free-to-compete Online Experience

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Obsidian Entertainment and My.com, the subsidiary of Mail.Ru Group, the largest Internet company in Russian-speaking countries, today revealed Armored Warfare, a massively multiplayer online tactical military video game. Armored Warfare features stunning next-gen visuals, dynamic destructible environments, customizable vehicles and intense team-based gameplay where players work to crush each other with the power of modern combat vehicles in a free-to-compete experience.

“Armored Warfare gives players two deep levels of upgrading and progression through a huge array of both military vehicles and their own personal military base, each giving players a diverse and wide-ranging path of strategies,” said Richard Taylor, Project Director of Obsidian Entertainment. “We are incredibly excited to bring Armored Warfare to players around the world, so they can enjoy the strategic and destructive potential of modern fighting vehicles.”

In Armored Warfare, players will take on the role of private military contractors who are called into action throughout a modern virtual world. Overseeing their own personal command base, players will expand, enhance, and customize their headquarters, manage and upgrade their military convoy of vehicles, and train and develop their crews through a robust reputation and experience system. Dynamic environments in Armored Warfare require players to change strategies on the battlefield at a moment’s notice keeping them ever vigilant to the tides of battle.

A variety of team-based tactical and competitive gameplay modes in Armored Warfare will not only test the mettle of players in PvP, but will have them pulling together group strategies in order to overcome grueling player-versus-environment (PvE) scenarios. Players will also be able to join Clans and participate in large scale Territory Wars in the power struggle for world domination. Armored Warfare will continue to be updated and supported for years to come with new weapons, vehicles, base elements, and battle modes.

Armored Warfare will launch into closed beta in 2014 for PC. To learn more about Armored Warfare and to sign up to receive more information and a chance to experience the game in closed beta, visit www.ArmoredWarfare.com. For instant updates, follow the Armored Warfare team on Twitter, like us on Facebook and subscribe to the official YouTube channel where you can watch the Armored Warfare announcement trailer.

About My.com

My.com is a subsidiary of Mail.Ru Group, the largest Internet company in Russian-speaking countries with an audience of more than 100 million users (comScore, September 2013), that is publicly traded on the London Stock Exchange (LSE: MAIL), (listed since November 5, 2010).

My.com is building an integrated communication and entertainment platform, dubbed ‘Communitainment,’ beginning with a family of mobile services and games. My.com’s mobile communications apps - myMail and myChat - provide multiple email account management and messaging, and myGames is a growing collection of mobile and PC game experiences.

For more information about My.com, please visit: http://press.my.com/about/.

About Obsidian Entertainment

Founded in 2003, Obsidian Entertainment is an entertainment software development company based in Irvine, California, passionately dedicated to the creation of high quality role playing games for all personal computer and console platforms. Obsidian is best known for the products Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and the record breaking crowdfunding through Kickstarter for Pillars of Eternity (http://eternity.obsidian.net).

For more information about Obsidian Entertainment, please visit: http://www.obsidian.net/.

fortyseven communications

Craig Sinel / Chase Colasonno

323-658-1200 / 212-391-4707

aw@fortyseven.com

or

Obsidian Entertainment

Shane DeFreest, 949-379-3300

press@obsidian.net

Seems to be the closest thing.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Will the game for instance model mechanised infantry dismounting from IFVs to secure an objective? If not then it's a serious misrepresentation of modern mechanised war of maneuver.

that's very true. but considering it's an MMO, I'll be happy if they get ballistics and the damage model right at least

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

AKA "Monty's MMO adventure - Romance Must Die Edition"! :biggrin:

Courtesy of joke: ManifestedISO and Humanoid.

Surely if it was Monty's MMO the Tank would be Fighting In Tunnels?

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Amentep: That lovely thread was started a couple of months before I began frequenting these forums. Advanced Fighting in Tunnels, the sheer brilliance of it is mind-blowing! :)

Who doesn't want to play a Sapper? And not just any sap would do. It's got to be an engineer!

I reckon, Torchlight 1 owns Monte Carlo wads of cash in royalties.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Hmmm, just thinking.

Maybe they're just using this as a big test so a next RPG can have a functional MAKO ;)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Butthurt Obsidioan fans rejoice. Not my kind of game it's good not to be pegion hold. That said, free? How do you keep employees employed if you don't even sell your games? That's silly. I thought this was a professional company. L0L

Game just isn't my thing, though. Driving tanks would entetrain me for maybe a few hours and then I'd get bored.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Akari is leading the team? Neat! Though we haven't seen him frequent these boards in years.

Wondering if Anthony Davis is involved in the project too. You'd think he'd be a good fit considering his tanker background.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Akari is leading the team? Neat! Though we haven't seen him frequent these boards in years.

Wondering if Anthony Davis is involved in the project too. You'd think he'd be a good fit considering his tanker background.

He is.

Butthurt Obsidioan fans rejoice. Not my kind of game it's good not to be pegion hold. That said, free? How do you keep employees employed if you don't even sell your games? That's silly. I thought this was a professional company. L0L

Game just isn't my thing, though. Driving tanks would entetrain me for maybe a few hours and then I'd get bored.

I'm guessing they will make money the same way every other free 2 play game makes money.  It isn't exactly an uncommon business model in today's industry.  

That being said, it does make it likely that this is a smaller project for Obsidian, much like how Dungeon Siege 3 was smaller and came in at a lower price point.

This is going to be the first Obsidian game that is not an obvious RPG.  Weird.

Well, Obs sure knows they weren't going to appeal to their usual customers with this game, hence the reactions in this thread.

Ah, no matter then. A man gotta do what he gotta do to keep living. Maybe I should give a try to World of Tanks.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Apparently what tends to happen with the successful free-to-play games is that while most players don't spend anything, or at least only rarely, there are enough maniacs with too much time and money on their hands to make up for it.The freebie players keep the game populated which keeps the paying players involved in the game which means they keep buying things. Blacklight Retribution is a good example, it's a free Call of Duty type game, you can actually unlock almost everything by spending an obscene amount of time playing the game but you can also use real money to get it right away. This means sensible people may occasionally spend a small amount of money on  that new scope or pack or special offer  to save them a week or two of grinding  but the big fish will spend a fortune to get everything. New weapons, armours, patterns, hero characters and other unlockables are added on a regular basis (including new maps and game modes which are free to everyone) and it's supposedly been very profitable for the creators and very popular with it's fanbase. 

Edited by Serrano

I didn't think I'd enjoy The Stick of Truth, but ended up loving it.  So maybe this game will end up being the same.  Though at least the Stick of Truth was somewhat close to the type of game I like (RPG-like).  This one ... hmm..

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm not disappointed in the least. Maybe because I'm not a slathering drooling fanboy, staying up all day and night, waiting with baited breath, on any news to be released from Obsidian on their announcement of their games.

TBH, I don't get all the hate. Obsidian are currently working on rpgs, they're pitching ideas to publishers for rpgs and they'll continue to develop and release rpgs. This won't change at all. It would be a very foolish company to knock back work because of some weird ideal like 'we only do rpgs and nothing else even if it means the company going under'.

I've played WoT and it was fun at the time when released. I'll probably download this when it's released to check out what it's like. But like WoT and Fremium MMOs in general, it became a never ending grind with new things (tanks) being released and eventually gave up. I won't be doing the same for this game.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 1

Apparently what tends to happen with the successful free-to-play games is that while most players don't spend anything, or at least only rarely, there are enough maniacs with too much time and money on their hands to make up for it.The freebie players keep the game populated which keeps the paying players involved in the game which means they keep buying things. Blacklight Retribution is a good example, it's a free Call of Duty type game, you can actually unlock almost everything by spending an obscene amount of time playing the game but you can also use real money to get it right away. This means sensible people may occasionally spend a small amount of money on  that new scope or pack or special offer  to save them a week or two of grinding  but the big fish will spend a fortune to get everything. New weapons, armours, patterns, hero characters and other unlockables are added on a regular basis (including new maps and game modes which are free to everyone) and it's supposedly been very profitable for the creators and very popular with it's fanbase. 

Yeah, this is similar to WoT in that you pay for a premium account to get extra XP and pay for premium Tanks for better XP/Credits which gets you up the tiers quicker. Also it's an ego trip for some players to be the best in the rankings. And you can only do this by spending money on a premium account. I recall one one player creating a thread a year ago who became number 1 in WoT NA and admitted to spending over $5000 to get to that ranking. Also, WoT surpasses WoW in revenues, despite WoT being free and WoW being subscription based.

• Like 1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2261752.stm

am not knowing why a russian knock-off of world of tanks makes us thinks o' tanya grotter... and obsidian gets to contribute to the next grotter. how cute.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Rich Taylor spaks

Thank you for the great suggestions.

1. We are definitely having more than just Main Battle Tanks in the game. I don't know if I'm cleared to talk about our actual vehicles by name yet, so I'm avoiding mentioning names for right now.

2. Artillery will be part of the game. The exact mechanics of its role are still being iterated on.

3. We have talked internally about supporting infantry in the PVE missions because that absolutely feels like something armored vehicles should be engaged in. I will say that we won't have infantry in the game at launch, but it is an idea that we've been talking about and like. We just want to make sure that we do it at a point where we can focus on it to add them right (good models, animations, AI, etc.), so we aren't focusing on the concept right now.

BTL are pretty awesome. Early on in the project we talked a lot about finding a way for players to be able to control them and still feel engaged in the battle. It felt like players in control of a BLT would move out, place their bridge, and then have nothing else to do for the rest of the match. They'd need to be able to hop into another vehicle to actually participate in the combat, it seems like.

I won't say they will never come along, but for right now, they are not among our launch vehicles.

The vehicles range from the 1950's to modern. We're also looking at near future technology (next 5 years or so), but we'll be sticking to real, built vehicles for our initial lineups.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

TBH, I don't get all the hate. 

Am I missing a thread somewhere?  The response has been pretty reasonable from what I've seen in this thread.  Some people are uninterested, some are curious, some are excited.

Check out the GDC announcement thread.

I understand it though (and are part of it)... in an era where RPG's are spread wide and thin, you don't want your favorite RPG developer to make MMO's instead.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

More like Armoire Wayfarer, a hammer-wielding lunatic destroying Downton Abbey's wardrobes and chests of drawers into splinters. Sounds a lot more fun.  :(

That brought back memories of 8-bit Theater :) Now THAT would have been an exciting game announcement.