Unreal Engine 4 for $19/month

Bryy

I seriously doubt indies have the manpower to work on UE4 of CryEngine3(?) though.

I wonder with all the new features, how much harder it becomes to make content, or if the first time ever (hah!) it becomes easier and takes less manpower/time?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I seriously doubt indies have the manpower to work on UE4 of CryEngine3(?) though.

I wonder with all the new features, how much harder it becomes to make content, or if the first time ever (hah!) it becomes easier and takes less manpower/time?

That's going to be an interesting Litmust test. One I want to see and be involved in.

The challenge excites me.

Most indie games wouldn't look significantly different on these engines than something written for Ogre3D or Unity. The barrier is in the supporting tools to create hi poly models and textures, that software is expensive. Not to mention you need a lot more people and time to detail a game world like that.

If indie guys make a good game, be it on unity or SDL, I'll buy it. So skip the expensive engines unless you really need it, and most of them likely will not. In fact the only exception I can think of right now is Xing.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Most indie games wouldn't look significantly different on these engines than something written for Ogre3D or Unity. The barrier is in the supporting tools to create hi poly models and textures, that software is expensive. Not to mention you need a lot more people and time to detail a game world like that.

If indie guys make a good game, be it on unity or SDL, I'll buy it. So skip the expensive engines unless you really need it, and most of them likely will not. In fact the only exception I can think of right now is Xing.

You can get around that if your team is small enough that character/environment artists can just use  their own licenses. If you have an art team of less than 5 people then you really don't need corporate/volume licenses.

This GDC has put doubt in my mind and among my colleagues about either getting UDK or Unity, either way I'm learning C# or C++.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

This GDC has put doubt in my mind and among my colleagues about either getting UDK or Unity, either way I'm learning C# or C++.

C++ and C# are so similar languages, that after you learn one learning other is quite easy.

C++ and C# are so similar languages, that after you learn one learning other is quite easy.

I'm actually trying to learn both but it has been mostly game related so a lot of OOP, I still need to wrap my head around procedural and math for that matter.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif