Thinking Of Running A Pathfinder Game

I'm copy-pasting this from another board, so if it reads weirdly, that's why:

Before I say anything else, let me state that starting this thread is in no way a commitment on my part to run a PF game. I'm gauging interest, nothing more.

Got it? Good.

Okay, so here's the deal: I've never GMed a tabletop game before, and I've always wanted to. I own some short Pathfinder modules that might be a good introduction to GMing, and I own all the rulebooks. But I have nobody around here I can play tabletop RPGs with. I mean, I do, but not really, because agoraphobia.

This, perhaps unsurprisingly, is where you people come in.

Who'd like to play a game under a GM who's learning on the job?

Be advised that my immediate concern is being sure everybody has a good time and is entertained. I'll allow just about anything in any Paizo book, minmaxed to hell and back or not. We'll be using Roll20 and Skype.

If this happens. Which it may not.

Anyway, yes, who would be up for it?

^

I know I don't know many of you very well, and that I tend to keep to the PoE subforums. Nonetheless, I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in watching me squirm. ;)

I am interested. Even though I love crpgs like Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights, I've never tried playing a pen and paper game before.

At the risk of scaring you off, I should point out that you would be a guinea pig for someone (me) who's learning on the job just like you. I'm not sure that's the ideal first PnP experience.

Reposted from another forum, just like last time:

Well, after reposting this on a few forums, I've got enough players, but I've just been accepted into a play-by-post game, so I think I'll put this on hold for a little bit. Not enough people interested, and after reading the GameMastery chapter of the Core Rulebook, I find myself a little less interested in such a heavy workload. Also, I'm a little rusty at the game anyway, so hopefully this play-by-post thing will recharge my batteries on that front.

Will come back to this thread and ask again when I feel more equipped to handle it.

God, I use "after" too much.

So yeah.

I'm not sure I'd want to pick a rules-heavy game like Pathfinder (or any other "crunchy" RPG that focues a lot on tactical minatures skirmishing: 3.x D&D, 4th ed. D&D, etc.) to be my first games master experience.

In any case if you ever get the urge to sit in the GM's chair again, remember that there are a lot of other game systems out there and some of them might make your life a bit easier on the rules mastery aspects and let you focus more on the creative bits (which is were really good GMing happens IMO).

I was thinking of switching to Numenera for that reason, actually. Rules-light, creativity-heavy. Proabably a better fit for my first GMing experience.

I like PF as a player, and they do give GMs a whole lot of help, but there's still a crazy amount of math involved, and math and I get along like, er, two things that don't get along very well at all.

Edited by Ffordesoon

I was thinking of switching to Numenera for that reason, actually. Rules-light, creativity-heavy. Proabably a better fit for my first GMing experience.

I like PF as a player, and they do give GMs a whole lot of help, but there's still a crazy amount of math involved, and math and I get along like, er, two things that don't get along very well at all.

I received the PDF copy of the Numenara Player's Guide as part of a backer reward for the Torment kickstarter ... it's not my cup o' tea, but if it works for you then awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

As a newbie GM in pathfinder and it being my first tabletop experience..its rules heavy yes but most of those rules u learn and become automatic knowledge like playing a baldurs gate game per se. Good thing about table top is that u dont have to use a map and figurines for ur meat, i usually just usebthem for bbeg battles and whatnot while the rest is theatrics.

Its when ur players start doing crazy off the wall stuff is when u mainly startsearching the rules for but good thing about home games is that u can either rule "for cool" or/and say ur allowing it this way right nowbuntil u get better info.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello to all and first i wanted to congratulate you on trying to dm or gm a game (however you want to say it). second it may seem daunting at first but trust me it is easy. you just need to know your players are they a hack and slash group? a rp group? a strategic war group? or a simple dungeon crawl group? you take these things and make your game for them. thank you for your time and good hunting. 

I'm late to this conversation.  But I just want to say good luck with Pathfinder.  I've found it to be closest to the "old school" dnd games.  Yes it's rules heavy but it's one of the things I love about the process.  Poring over the rule book, tweaking characters, etc.  I don't play with my pen and paper group anymore because they can't stay 1. with a campagin (we haven't finished one in 3 years) and 2.  They left Pathfinder - want the simple no rules fast and easy type games. 

My favorite memories of pen and paper, next to the old 2nd edition, is of Pathfinder.  I loved it and still love it.  Kingmaker and Council of Theives are some awesome pre gens that still leave the dm and players plenty of room to make their own story and style of play.  Good luck.

• 6 months later...