What are you playing now

Finally feeling like I need a bit of a break from Banished ... which leaves me once again staring at the Steam pages regretting that I did not buy Alpha Protocol when it was last on sale.

Yeah, we can understand that.

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Bit of everything over the last week. Dragonfall, Skyrim Frostfall, Minecraft, Stick of Truth.

Dragonfall. That the campaign is indisputably better than its predecessor perhaps makes me all the more bothered by the UI issues - primarily the combat UI - that they haven't really addressed. Tempted at this point to just set it back to easy and blast through it for the non-combat content.

In combat: The number of clicks just to get a spell off, especially a buff spell, is a big offender. The fiddly way to even see the buffs you already have applied exacerbates the issue - as far as I can tell you have to hover over the character model itself (and not while in spellcasting mode), the portrait offers nothing but useless green and red triangles. What's wrong with a bloody hotbar? On a minor note, I keep accidentally shooting with the melee character first up because the pistol is defaulted instead of the claws, grr.

Out of combat: The roundabout way in which healing is handled outside of combat is a persistent bugbear, and indeed just seeing your health in the first place is very non-obvious. An occasional issue, and one I can imagine being a rather big one at higher difficulties, is that you have to physically lead with your player character, which is tactically compromising when walking into ambushes. It's a bit of a dilemma, I'm happy that I don't have to manually move each person out of combat, something that turns many a party-based RPG into a chore, but I'd at least like the ability to choose the one person I want to move.

Mechanics: I long for vertical cover being recognised, i.e. peeking around doorways, as the very limited amount of object the game counts as cover feels very stilted.

Skyrim - don't really plan to do anything meaningful with this playthrough, just messing around with the 'hardcore mode' type mods, being Frostfall and Realistic Needs, as I have been in small doses over the past few weeks. I'm pretty okay with the mechanics themselves, but they can and do frequently fall out of place, survival mechanics being undermined by the game itself, for example, random revellers in a blizzard making merry. I don't blame Bethesda for it since it's obviously mechanically irrelevant for their intended design, but it just feels silly in combination.

Minecraft. First time player. Entertaining enough diversion for a couple of days, but I don't think it holds any long-term appeal for me. Sandbox in general isn't really my thing, and if I wanted to build houses I'd rather play The Sims.

As a non-fan of South Park, it was always going to be a risk of a purchase, but happy enough with it thus far. The QTEs are making me take relatively frequent breaks though, if not physically then they're at least mentally exhausting. The 'mash A' ones in particular I've just not bothered with, if an attack of mine requires it, I'll never use it again, and if I need to do it to counter an attack, I'll just stop and take it.

Obviously the 'consoleised' UI controls are going to draw a reaction as well, I'd say I can live with most of it, but inventory management is predictably the worst part. The sheer number of duplicated functionality potions all just appear in one big list making scrolling a pain - I don't want to choose between a half-dozen separate listings for minor healing potions that differ only by icon. It's one of those cases where flavour unfortunately overrides usability, but even then surely it could be better handled. Maybe pool them together such that you only see one entry, but use the specific item you have the most quantity of automatically. Or try having one big generic stack but have the specific item you appear to consume be random. Add to that the irritation of the list not wrapping, and I'm mostly trying to brute force most battles without consumables. I also wish there were abbreviated animations for the non-interactive segments of the more elaborate skills.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Not playing it myself, but a good friend of mine has taken an immense liking to Digital Combat Simulator: UH-1H Huey, such that he has read through "Chickenhawk," the autobiographical account of a former Huey pilot and taken this great .gif as his avatar on Teamspeak:

12566512265_c2795d319e_o.gif

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

"Chickenhawk," the autobiographical account of a former Huey pilot

I keep reminding myself to read that one, people say it's great.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Beat chapter 1 in The Witcher 2. It's crazy how good this game looks compared to many games that came after it. I don't use the signs much. Maxed out Quen is my friend.

Quen is so insanely overpowered in that game.  With maxed out Quen you don't need anything else really.  

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Beat chapter 1 in The Witcher 2. It's crazy how good this game looks compared to many games that came after it. I don't use the signs much. Maxed out Quen is my friend.

Quen is so insanely overpowered in that game.  With maxed out Quen you don't need anything else really.  

Kd9Kl.gif

• Like 3

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Finally feeling like I need a bit of a break from Banished ... which leaves me once again staring at the Steam pages regretting that I did not buy Alpha Protocol when it was last on sale.

Yeah, we can understand that.

icwutudidthere01a.jpg

...yeah yeah. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

we bit o TitanFall and beat Second Son (which was much shorter than I expected and annoyingly didn't mention any of the events of the first two games by name.

What would you say your time with Second Son amounted to? I only started and was having so fun after an hour but was wondering how long it would last but it may seem longer to me as my playtime has been dramatically minimized due to a beautiful newborn but still looking forward to more time with it.

Dead Space 3

The intro to the game is everything people feared about it. Which is hilarious, because they're sabotaging their own game. It starts with some very light shooting of some extremely humanoid necromorphs. Quickly followed by CINEMATIC MOMENTS that wouldn't have been out of place in an Uncharted game, with you repelling down a cliffside and trying to avoid debris. Then the very next sequence has you shooting human soldiers. Then a few real necromorphs finally appear, but it's generic narrow city areas. Followed by another CINEMATIC MOMENT. And that's when you finally get the suit, go into space, and get to the part you bought the game for.

Everything up until that point could have withstood being cut from the game. And maybe replaced with something quicker that gives the same general plot. I'm in "Chapter 5" and I feel like the game just started. It's promising so far, but that intro gives an awful impression. Though I don't like that some missions require co-op. What the heck?

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Mostly Diablo 3 with my friends, we tried Torment 6.  Funny how it was like a crappy zombie movie in Act I, with us just unloading against a tide of mook zombies.  Then we ran into champs, whoops.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A bit of Deus Ex HR. Enjoying the simple pleasures of (augmented) life, such as hurling explosive barrels at unsuspecting gangbangers. I am a simple man.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Fallout New Vegas, modded out.

Beautiful New Vegas at night.

That brings back some nostalgic memories for me. When I first played F:NV on the main quest I was down on ammunition and hunted by Deathclaws and trying to escape through the desert...desperate to find this haven called " New Vegas". I remember going over a hill, it was night, and there was the town in all its shimmering glory. I have never been so happy to see a friendly location in any game :)

Weirdly the screenshot made me nostalgic too...

...to play RAMPAGE and destroy giant box buildings. :yes:

I finished my second Stick of Truth playthrough so started up the Lego Movie game...

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just finished Holy Avatar... good for it's price (free). Wouldn't want to have to spend that much money on it though, it's short, and it's not as funny as it's Grotesque Tactics predecessors.

And... what game to play now? *browses through GOG and Steam library of many unplayed games*

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Though I don't like that some missions require co-op. What the heck?

Those are more for "sidekick dude" and not Issac.

If you play as Issac, you're just kinda there for the ride, if you're playing Sidekick Dude - then you get more of his story.

Moderately pointless depending on how much completeness you want.

i'm currently playing a mix of path of exile and titanfall.

titanfall is pretty fun, but the last competitive shooter i played was Battlefield 2 when it was new, and that was a few years ago now, so it might just be fun because its a genre I don't normally play much of. running around the levels is pretty fun all on its own; it plays kind of like Mirrors Edge mixed with Call of Duty:MW and T-Mek

I wish Fahrenheit had an option to play without the QTE's.  Dear Esther would have been a much worse experience if you had to constantly suffer through QTE's in order to continue strolling around

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Dead Space 3

The intro to the game is everything people feared about it. Which is hilarious, because they're sabotaging their own game. It starts with some very light shooting of some extremely humanoid necromorphs. Quickly followed by CINEMATIC MOMENTS that wouldn't have been out of place in an Uncharted game, with you repelling down a cliffside and trying to avoid debris. Then the very next sequence has you shooting human soldiers. Then a few real necromorphs finally appear, but it's generic narrow city areas. Followed by another CINEMATIC MOMENT. And that's when you finally get the suit, go into space, and get to the part you bought the game for.

Everything up until that point could have withstood being cut from the game. And maybe replaced with something quicker that gives the same general plot. I'm in "Chapter 5" and I feel like the game just started. It's promising so far, but that intro gives an awful impression. Though I don't like that some missions require co-op. What the heck?

The co-op required missions also bothered me because I have no one on my friends list who plays the game to do those missions with.  So I still have no clue what they're about.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Found out I can convert my Crusader Kings II game into Europa Universalis IV (slowpoke here).. Now I think I'll start a game in CK as a Norse, reform the faith, conquer northern Europe and then onwards to spread 'Asetro'/Norse paganism to the world. And then have the mighty Huscarls of Scandinavia conquer the world..

Fortune favors the bald.

I've been shuffling between my Mount and Blade addictions.  I prefer Warband the most, but I can't get a server with a decent ping where I live, so I've been playing a lot of With Fire and Sword Captain Co-op, and Napoleonic Wars Captain and DM modes.  I occasionally still play singleplayer as well. 

Also I bought The Banner Saga on GoG a while back and I've been dabbling with it.

I've been toying with the idea of another Baldur's Gate playthrough. I'd like to go through the entire campaign with the sequal and xpacs with one character, but realistically I doubt I possess the attention span.