Obsidian partners with a publisher for PoE

Looks like a pretty standard distribution only deal. Paradox does not fund it, so they do not have any say in the development; they will simply handle distribution and possibly marketing, which tend to be expensive things which developers like Obsidian do not have any expertise, personnel or procedures to handle. Other KS projects have done the same.

Sounds fine to me. It will help them reduce the kinks when launch day comes.

• Like 11

If there's one thing that Paradox is really good at, it's that they're great at making a game accessible to a large number of potential buyers/players. I don't play strategy games often, and thus don't play the ones that Paradox frequently publish, but even then I've still heard of several of those games.

If Paradox can make their games known to people outside of their target audience (such as me), I know they'll do a great job in getting Pillars of Eternity's name out there more than it already is. I think Obsidian made a great choice.

Edited by Deiser
  • Like 1

I assume this doesn't affect one in the slightest, all my rewards are digital (as I despise clutter to an almost Spartan level and wanted to support Obsidian more fully) and i'll most probably choose GOG as my distribution choice. If apathy is death then i'm afraid in this instance that I choose death.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Looks like a pretty standard distribution only deal. Paradox does not fund it, so they do not have any say in the development; they will simply handle distribution and possibly marketing,

I think why some people may be a bit wary is that as soon as players hear the word 'publisher' you get alarms.

The major publishing houses most are familiar with are combined development/publishing houses (EA, Ubi, etc) so if market reseach by the publishing division indicates "Awesome buttons sell more units" they tell the developer division to put them in, and the developers are required to do so. Even Paradox has its own internal development arm (Europa/Crusader series). 

With Obsidian contracting Paradox to publish/distribute is a good allocation of resources (let the experts do their job in their respective fields) as long as Paradox _only_ publishes/distributes and doesn't have any say in what the developers submit.

From what Feargus Urquhart this seems to be the case.

Also as Paradox did not provide the money to produce PoE they would have no say in the contents in any case.

Edited by Lycana
  • Like 1

Actually read the article.

And the total number was $4.5m? They really got that much from PayPal? I guess I should not be so surprised.

Not when kickstarter campaign ended, but people have had 1.5 years time to become slacker backers. 

• Like 1

It's only 700k... not that much thus, compared to $3.8 from KS.

Unless of course 4.5 is 3.8- KS cut + Paypal.

Anyway... when Expedition Conquisitor got a publisher, everyone cried havoc, sellout etc... feel free to look it up.

To me, it makes sense, and doesn't worry me.

Paradox is a pretty good publisher in any case too, making it even less mention-worthy.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

From what they are saying, I'm not worried. As long as the publisher has no rights to the IP and/or game development schedule, then as Obsidian are keeping their promise of using the KS (& Paypal] funds to keeping the detrimental effeects publishers can have on games (ie being pushed out early, ffull of bugs, unfinished, etc... see KOTOR 2 for classic example].

It looks to be a fairly standard deal wherein Paradox doesn't input any money into the whole project until it comes time to start marketing and sitributing the game, at which point they do what a publisher would do (ie market & then distribute], and make their money back via a cut of sales - and the cut is likely a lot lower than what a publisher would normally get, but Paradox is taking little risk and putting little money into the game itself.

I do get the feeling from reading the comments made that Obsidian did approach most/all major publisher's regarding doing a deal like this, but the major answer was along the lines of something they didn't want. As in most of the publisher's probably asked for the rights to the IP to be sold to them and/or rights to future games to made via them, or have input into the actual game development and.or time-schedule.

• Like 1

More importantly, Paradox are generally anti-DRM... it's a good match... 

They used to be anti-DRM until few years ago. Their games usually have now a no-Steam.exe but Paradox moved recently to Steam-online-activation only. And I don't see them changing their stance on Steam anytime soon, since they say loudly how they love it.

• Like 1

Obsidian/Paradox RPS discussion about this... 

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/19/project-eternity-release-date/

They used to be anti-DRM until few years ago. Their games usually have now a no-Steam.exe but Paradox moved recently to Steam-online-activation only.

Sad... Steam may not be terrible, (Starforce/SecuROM/Origin/GFWL/Ubiplay terrible), but still a far cry from DRM free... 

Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

What about now?

I'm not fond of Paradox, mainly because of the (speculated, but likely) way they handled their relationship with Taleworlds and the Mount and Blade franchise. Still, as long as they don't have a say in development, PoE should do fine.

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

While visions of Obsidian staff stuffing boxes in the basement of their office building have their charm, the partnership sounds like a good idea, both now and looking to the future. Although it would be fun to open one's box and find one of those little slips of paper that identify the person who made or packaged your order. We could then compare who packaged each of our orders and which devs appeared to be most efficient at the task.  :D

Edited by Lady Evenstar
  • Like 1

I'm not fond of Paradox, mainly because of the (speculated, but likely) way they handled their relationship with Taleworlds and the Mount and Blade franchise. Still, as long as they don't have a say in development, PoE should do fine.

I haven't heard that story, what did they do?

Anyways, for me this makes perfect sense and hopefully opens up a nice and working relationship with the two companies for other games as well and not just PoE. Paradox is one of the few publlishers that I have nothing bad to say personally, and they are even Swedish (means a lot when Finns don't naturally "hate/dislike" Swedes) :p

Hate the living, love the dead.

From everything I've heard (mostly from update 74), it sounds like Paradox's role is limited to advertising and distribution. Which sounds fine to me. I can't imagine that's Obsidian's strong suit, and I don't feel it should be. They can stick to making a great game, without stupid publisher input, and then let a publisher advertise and distribute what the studio made in exchange for a cut of the sales profits. Kickstarter profits (basically the salaries that we've paid for) go 100% to the studio, which makes perfect sense since Obsidian advertised to us well enough on its own.

Also, if Obsidian's smart, they probably managed a pretty favorable deal. After all, they've got something north of 74,000 backers worth of free advertisement already.

This project just died.

How so?

Don't you know that buying distribution services from publisher means that you also sell you soul, your kids soul and you have to give all rights to any material and immaterial things that you possess, addition to that you also become eternal slave of said publisher. And you don't get any benefits for yourself from this deal. :wowey:  

• Like 2

This project just died.

How so?

Don't you know that buying distribution services from publisher means that you also sell you soul, your kids soul and you have to give all rights to any material and immaterial things that you possess, addition to that you also become eternal slave of said publisher. And you don't get any benefits for yourself from this deal. :wowey:  

You're scaring the fish away.

This project just died.

How so?

Duh... I mean, if you hire a caterer for a party, instead of just cooking all the food yourself, the caterer TAKES OVER YOUR PARTY! They scribble out your guest list, they renovate your house... They like, OWN you. And you pay them to do it! It's insane!

How dare Obsidian hire someone to perform a bunch of completely-unrelated-to-development-or-design tasks! Obviously the development and design are ruined. FOR SOOTH! *faints*

• Like 4

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I remember how screwed up the release of SotS 2 was which seemed to be pushed out way too early. It took almost a year before the gamebreaking bugs were taken out and features that were promised were added in. It shows to me how pushy and forceful Paradox can be with its developer. Back then I pre-ordered the game because of my love for the original and it was the first time I got burned for doing this. By the time the game was actually decent and playable, it was deeply discounted. Now, after kickstarting project eternity, this happens. I'm sorry but as far as I am concerned, this is bad news.

The title of this thread really needs to be changed.

Paradox is in no way the publisher.

Well, they sort of are, aren't they? I'm not sure that having a say in the design of a thing is actually an inherent part of the process of publishing. It's just very often factored into the deal.

I mean, from dictionary.com:

"pub·lish [puhb-lish]

verb (used with object)

to issue (printed or otherwise reproduced textual or graphic material, computer software, etc.) for sale or distribution to the public."

Doesn't say anything about designing or altering in any way. If you design a flyer, then a friend agrees to print it for you (maybe you don't have a printer at home) and hand out the copies, he's technically your publisher.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

The title of this thread really needs to be changed.

Paradox is in no way the publisher.

Well, they sort of are, aren't they? I'm not sure that having a say in the design of a thing is actually an inherent part of the process of publishing. It's just very often factored into the deal.

I mean, from dictionary.com:

"pub·lish [puhb-lish]

verb (used with object)

to issue (printed or otherwise reproduced textual or graphic material, computer software, etc.) for sale or distribution to the public."

Doesn't say anything about designing or altering in any way. If you design a flyer, then a friend agrees to print it for you (maybe you don't have a printer at home) and hand out the copies, he's technically your publisher.

I meant Paradox didn't fund Pillars.