Update #74: The Mob Rulers: Wizards and Druids and our Partnership with Paradox

Fantastic Update - one of my faves so far - definitely playing a Druid first playthrough :):luck:

Those portraits look great too - especially pleased to see and Aumaua one (was trying to make my own but didn't have enough reference - now I know the kind of thing to shoot for).

Spells sound cool too :sorcerer:

:dragon:  <- dragons are just cool, even when irrelevant to the discussion at hand :p

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I think the D&D influence is clear to see, but that's great. They've taken all the best bits of everything over the years and improved on everything which can be improved on. Their attention to detail is infinitely better than regular games, because they know from experience all the good parts and all the bad parts of similar games. They are doing exactly what i want them to do.

There are always going to be similarities somewhere along the line, spells have always been done before in one way or another over they years, it is a computer game after all. It's clear the effort they are putting in to make everything more varied and adding all the nice subtle touches. I always loved Bigby's Forceful Hand, Bigby's Clenched Fist whatever they were, i'm over the moon to see they've used that influence. Why the hell not?

It's all absolutely excellent; their love of the genre and passionate attention to detail and commitment shines through. It amazes me sometimes people will criticise the tiniest things here or there, moaning about grass or something; i guess some people are just never happy.

Fantastic effort thus far, i absolutely love it. I love it so much, i'm actually bothering to write this drivel!

Ps I'm still hoping for a badass (male) Aumaua Barbarian (fighter would suffice) as the last charcter :-)

Pps And i'll always be angry there isn't more wilderness levels :-(

Ppps Thanks for replying earlier BAdler, that was a nice touch. You guys probably underestimate quite how important this game actually is to people like myself. I've always hated the modern RPGs, all effects but no heart or soul. I have, quite literally, been dreaming of this game since finishing Baldur's gate 2. And i really, really do spend a considerable amount of time dwelling on what that last companion might be and whether it's an Aumaua (if indeed i have the other seven correctly figured). It will be a large weight off my shoulders when i finally find that stuff out...

Edited by cornishr
  • Like 6

The blue guy is really nice.

I have to admit I didn't like the Aumaua concepts much, but if that's supposed to be one ..I like. <3

The portraits do really have a certain Baldur's Gate vibe, although I think they are much better style & technique wise.

I am assuming these are over-painted photos, right? (Would make sense.)

Anyways, there are two little things I don't like about the portraits:

1. It seems like the nose in the “human-looking” portrait isn't properly over-painted. That makes it stick out a quite oddly. Similar problem for the druid, although more because it's a lot sharper/tighter than the rest of the piece.

Draws my focus at least, and it's a bit odd to be staring at peoples noses.

2. I don't know if it's an oversight or an artistic choice (one that I can not quite comprehend)...but.. do the eyes have to be that dull/flat?

It's most visible in the druid one. I think they're lacking some slight soft shadows and a crisper highlight. Maybe a colored one, for example blue like a sky reflection.(gives more contrast)

It's not a huge thing, but it would really make them much better in my opinion.

Just...you know. Swap the eyes and the noses...focus-wise.

Please do not eat me, or "rain down death" on me.

Hey there! Yes all of the portraits are painted on top of the reference photos we receive. I usually take the photo, shift things around for composition sake and start painting away. It's a huge time saver, and I get the likeness and subtle expressions for free. I agree with you on both of points, will try to hit those if I have time. Thanks for the feedback, you have a good eye!

Well if they are peoples photos, that fella who's blue and yellow with sharp teeth must get a few odd looks around town. No wonder he stays in playing computer games.

• Like 6

Cool !

I have something to read when I get to work ... ^ ^

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Although I rarely play wizards, I simply jump with joy at the sight of that spell list (which is just a fraction of the full list, woohoo!!): and while the name do ring of classic D&D spells, I think that's where it stays. Doing combat in the game, including spell-casting, will feel like playing a RPG developed for the sole purpose of being integrated into a computer game. Sure, it can be adapted to PnP later, but this is something of a first in its own right.

It's much more likely I'll have a druid in my party, and I too what like to see more non-mammal shape-shifting possibilities too, as long as it's not a guppy.

The Sapling Inn, IIRC, gives me vibes from a specific area in a pretty great D&D pc-game from the 90s, based on the Dark Sun setting.

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Every time I read about another class in PoE, I think, "That's the one I wanna play!" I would say that is a very good sign. ;)

This may seem odd given the amount of "cooler" spells revealed in this update (which were very cool, don't get me wrong), but I think I dig Arcane Veil and Blast the most. They let even a Level 1 Wizard PC feel like an active and unique participant in combat without betraying the "glass cannon" expectation people have when they play Wizards.

Minor Arcane Reflection also sounds wicked awesome. I'm already picturing badass mage duels where spells get batted back and forth like ping-pong balls of death.

I haven't had a chance to study the Druid as closely as the Wizard, but I liked what I saw.

Also, Paradox! Yes! They are the coolest! :D

Very pleased, I must say.

• Like 4

Well if they are peoples photos, that fella who's blue and yellow with sharp teeth must get a few odd looks around town. No wonder he stays in playing computer games.

I do have sharp canines, but I'm usually not blue unless it's really cold outside. I'm extremely happy with the portrait, especially since everyone else seem to like it as much as I do. Even RPGCodex was nice to me. This is one of the source pictures used. It's a few years old, I have even less hair now so I usually just shave everything off, Heisenberg style.

LarsW.jpg

I hope the AI will take into account strategies like denying an enemy Moonwell by casting a Malignant Cloud on top of it. Bonus points if you have different AI profiles, so an aggressive one might ignore the damage taken and "dive" to the Moonwell if it thinks it might kill a PC in the process with the stamina gained, while a cautious/defensive/fearful AI hangs back. Doing AI for this game will probably be very challenging, but fun. I would love if that is available for modding (but I understand it might not be possible).

I seem to recall Josh mentioning the intense yet strategic battles of MOBA games like Dota 2 being an inspiration? If not, they should be. There is a huge source of spells and item mechanics to draw inspiration from, and lots of pro matches to see how even seemingly weak spells can interact in interesting ways and turn even the most challenging skirmishes around if used creatively.

• Like 12

No offense to the backer of whom the pohoto was used, but that blue guy is pure nightmare fuel. That smile *shudder*... :grin:

Paradox thing.... could be fun I guess?

Wizards sound ok, very flexible in potential builds. For druids I'm a little disappointed they don't have a mechanical theme, although they do seem to be richer on the zoning spells so I guess that's ok, too. Need priest info, too, to compare :p .

Please animate the dangly bits on the stag transformation!

I'm actually glad the wizards don't have squences or contingencies. Now buffs are a tactical choice in combat not just a passive power upgrade. And if it means i won't have to spend 5 min of combat just debuffing the wizards every time i encounter one, so i can get through their defenses, i'm all for it.

• Like 7

I do have sharp canines, but I'm usually not blue unless it's really cold outside. I'm extremely happy with the portrait, especially since everyone else seem to like it as much as I do. Even RPGCodex was nice to me. This is one of the source pictures used. It's a few years old, I have even less hair now so I usually just shave everything off, Heisenberg style.

LarsW.jpg

I hope the AI will take into account strategies like denying an enemy Moonwell by casting a Malignant Cloud on top of it. Bonus points if you have different AI profiles, so an aggressive one might ignore the damage taken and "dive" to the Moonwell if it thinks it might kill a PC in the process with the stamina gained, while a cautious/defensive/fearful AI hangs back. Doing AI for this game will probably be very challenging, but fun. I would love if that is available for modding (but I understand it might not be possible).

I seem to recall Josh mentioning the intense yet strategic battles of MOBA games like Dota 2 being an inspiration? If not, they should be. There is a huge source of spells and item mechanics to draw inspiration from, and lots of pro matches to see how even seemingly weak spells can interact in interesting ways and turn even the most challenging skirmishes around if used creatively.

That's interesting to actually see a source photo...

LarsW.jpg

You don't have sharp teeth at all! :D Just kidding. Your portrait makes me so jelly. As for the DOTA2 inspiration thing, I agree, but many/some? here would *violently* disagree with your point.