Infinity engine question

I don't have a problem with micromanaging things, I just like being able to do them one at a time. I like being able to micromanage a fighter without worrying about the archer running out of arrows and needing for me to fetch some more from his inventory. I like doing things one character at a time.

And I really hated how the mage would inevitably get killed by kobolds if I spent more than five seconds in the inventory screen, but that problem was BG1 exclusive.

You do realize you can also pause the game and open the inventory and the game will stay paused right? And you can even move your items from character to character while paused and even drink potions, which will come in effect instantly after you resume the game.

That's the default control setting for Wolfenstein 3D, the first FPS.(Although that depends on whether or not you count Catacomb 3-D, but that used the same control scheme, so the point is moot.)

It's pretty obvious that he was talking about modern FPS. which you simply can't play effectively if you don't use a mouse or a controller.

Because these games were made to be played like that.

The IE games were made to be played with the pause, and every new post you make seems to prove that.

Edited by Cubiq

Assuming I understand what your post, you are claiming that a blank page is the best story ever because you can write anything on it, and if I find the blank paper boring it's my fault for not writing an interesting story on it.

No, I'm pretty sure I was saying that a blank-slate protagonist can be the best vehicle for an RPG story, since 1) you're not being corralled into roleplaying a dev-created personality that you may not relate to, and 2) there are a billion different ways to tell a good story in a video game and most of those ways work best if the protagonist(s) that the player is controlling do not come already frontloaded with narrative baggage.

But this is probably a discussion for another thread.

I don't buy a game so I can make up my own story, I can do that for free.

Then you must have thought TOEE was a big waste of your money. No wait. You've been praising it since page 1. Edited by Stun

1:While that is all very well and good in theory, IWD doesn't give any moments to roleplay or develop a character.

2:I liked the combat in TOEE, whereas I did not like it in IWD. Both have terrible plots, but I found the gameplay in TOEE to make up for it. If you don't like turn based but enjoy real time with pause, you'll probably find things to be the other way around.

On the topic of micromanagement, I still say that having John Madden-esque tele-writer-style control over pathing commands would be amazing.

Want someone to retreat, but in a certain way? Just click-and-drag draw the path you want them to take. Takes like 2 seconds. Then unpause, and they do it. The smooth drawn line could just be converted into waypoints, in terms of the actual movement command.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

You can in BG2, PST, and IWD, but not in BG1. The game would unpause when you entered the inventory.

It took a while because i needed to reinstall the game to make sure.

If you create the game as a multiplayer you are able to pause while in inventory.

You can create the multiplayer session without having to connect to the internet in any way.

Supreme Commander style?

Also I am not quite sure what "pause on inventory" or the 60/120 arrow quivers have anything to do with control or the "fun" of IE games...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

On the topic of micromanagement, I still say that having John Madden-esque tele-writer-style control over pathing commands would be amazing.

Want someone to retreat, but in a certain way? Just click-and-drag draw the path you want them to take. Takes like 2 seconds. Then unpause, and they do it. The smooth drawn line could just be converted into waypoints, in terms of the actual movement command.

That'd be great. I loved waypoints in Arcanum, they made walking to the other side of town much less aggravating. Can only imagine how useful they'd be in combat.

If you create the game as a multiplayer you are able to pause while in inventory.

You can create the multiplayer session without having to connect to the internet in any way.

And I was supposed to know this how? One shouldn't have to jump through hoops to access a feature that should already be there.

However, they fixed it for the sequel, so it really doesn't matter.

However, they fixed it for the sequel, so it really doesn't matter.

Fix? Fix suggests that it was something broken. It wasn't.

Obviously they didn't want the sequel out cavorting with other games and having a bunch of puppies.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

The best game you've ever played in your life is just....over three dozen mods away! PM me if you would like the more specific mod names. This installation order is my own, and likely the most comprehensive on the internet. I don't believe I've shared it before now, oddly enough. It's also current as of....January 2014. It seems like a great deal, and it is.....but it's very much worth it. My particular installation is optimized, completely stable, and arranged for no cheese whilst matching PnP rules as closely as possible.

Installation Order
------------------
Game 1
Game 2
No CD Hack (Chill-out, I purchased the saga legitimately)
Ascension
Wheels of Prophecy
Baldur's Gate 2 Fixpack

Baldur's Gate Trilogy
Baldur's Gate Trilogy Tweaks

--------------------
Baldur's Gate 1 Mods
--------------------
Baldur's Gate I Restored Narration
Baldur's gate Lightmaps
Baldur's Gate Unfinished Business
Baldur's Gate Mini-Quests & Encounters
(Install any desired NPC mods here)
Baldur's Gate NPC Project
Level 1 NPCs
Sword Coast Strategems I

---------------------------
Baldur's Gate 2 Mods & Else
---------------------------
Baldur's Gate 2 Unfinished Business
Pocket Plane Group Quest Pack
Assassinations
Pocket Plane Banter
iepBanter
Baldur's Gate 2 Creature Fixer
Rogue Rebalancing
Improved Horns
Item Revisions
One Pixel Productions
Baldur's Gate II Sheild Animation Fix
PnP Free Action (Debatable as to being necessary anymore, zero conflicts though)
Wildmage Expansion
WizardSlayer Revision
Ultimate Shapeshifter Mod
Spell Revisions
Picky Familiars
PnP Celestials
Sword Coast Strategems II
gMinion
Baldur's Gate II Tweaks
aTweaks

Refinements
eSeries (PC Scripts)
WideScreen
Generalized Biffing
Throne of Bhaal Extender

Assuming I understand what your post, you are claiming that a blank page is the best story ever because you can write anything on it, and if I find the blank paper boring it's my fault for not writing an interesting story on it.

No, I'm pretty sure I was saying that a blank-slate protagonist can be the best vehicle for an RPG story, since 1) you're not being corralled into roleplaying a dev-created personality that you may not relate to, and 2) there are a billion different ways to tell a good story in a video game and most of those ways work best if the protagonist(s) that the player is controlling do not come already frontloaded with narrative baggage.

This is the first thing you said that i definitely disagree with. PS:T, KotOR2, MotB all are better in the story department than BGs, IWDs, and ToEEs out there. While the dev-created character or not leaves me indifferent, as both ways can work (KOTOR2 was pre defined, PS:T was predefined but with the amnesia they allowed you to roleplay however you wanted, MOTB was Player created), point 2) i'm definitely against. Stories in video games work best when they come with "narrative baggage", and are more of an introspective journey. I dislike the blank slate protagonist and it harms the story quality.

MotB sidesteps this problem by allowing a blank slate protagonist, but then frontloads you with narrative baggage(just not your own) and having find the history of your contition(the past just isn't your own) and i thing is a good compromise. I would like more games using this device.

Edited by Malekith

Then you don't remember much about Icewind Dale.

You are right, perhaps I should go replay Icewind Dale to revisit the epic tale of PC cleric #2, and the tragic death of his lover PC mage #1.

If there is a plot to icewind dale, then it fell into the same trap as FF12, in that the story follows some random pricks instead of whoever the story is really about. You saw an amazing story, I saw a string of cliches that existed only to drag me from dungeon to dungeon, ending with a boring twist that doesn't really change anything.

I seriously enjoyed IWD. Just becouse it was unlike BG series start where it all starts with shock and murky revelations, but kind of slowly builds up. I acually had immense fun designing my group. Acually, it took me several hours to make backstories and find appropiate portraits. Considering your #1 and #2 , you did the same. 

Sure mages need silly grimoire to store ALL their magical powers. Mages are not like vessels themself and grimoire should just be this uber cool tool, but is acually alpha and omega of a mage and what not...very annoying...very, very, very. Oh and trolls are oversized green Toads! Dont get me on that one. By all that is fuzzy and unholy!

So with all that said, after going throught the thread, by my imaginary powers of divination...I can safly bet you will most likely and probably enjoy this type of game, despite your personal worry about some of elements you belive might not be up to the expectations.   

magic021.jpg

This is the first thing you said that i definitely disagree with. PS:T, KotOR2, MotB all are better in the story department than BGs, IWDs, and ToEEs out there. While the dev-created character or not leaves me indifferent, as both ways can work (KOTOR2 was pre defined, PS:T was predefined but with the amnesia they allowed you to roleplay however you wanted, MOTB was Player created), point 2) i'm definitely against. Stories in video games work best when they come with "narrative baggage", and are more of an introspective journey. I dislike the blank slate protagonist and it harms the story quality.

MotB sidesteps this problem by allowing a blank slate protagonist, but then frontloads you with narrative baggage(just not your own) and having find the history of your contition(the past just isn't your own) and i thing is a good compromise. I would like more games using this device.

http://www.cracked.com/video_18662_the-horrifying-secret-the-matrix-reveals-about-humanity.html

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I remember the mage protection ridiculousness of BG2 was specifically addressed by Josh Sawyer somewhere, so I think we can expect mages to be somewhat more reasonable in PoE.

As for combat in general, well, these are the guys that made IWD, not BG, and IWD had very challenging but well-balanced and dynamic combat, so again I expect nothing less.