Music... must go on...

Gorth

Lots of deadheads in this thread. Not that i am complaining...

for years we would hear a studio release from the dead and wonder what all those drugged-out hippies were smoking to make'em believe the dead were good, much less great. nevertheless, we happened to see 'em during the period bruce hornsby were touring with the dead, and we were kinda shocked by how much better they were in concert than on the radio. is still not a favorite band for Gromnir, but after we saw 'em, we kinda get it.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

for years we would hear a studio release from the dead and wonder what all those drugged-out hippies were smoking to make'em believe the dead were good, much less great. nevertheless, we happened to see 'em during the period bruce hornsby were touring with the dead, and we were kinda shocked by how much better they were in concert than on the radio. is still not a favorite band for Gromnir, but after we saw 'em, we kinda get it.

HA! Good Fun!

Indeed. When I was younger I didn't get it much either. Until I saw Nirvana (who I loved) in concert, and they sucked, bad. And then some bands who I never thought were good on album blow my mind on stage.

Many of the very best live bands aren't all that great (or are at least not near as great) as their studio releases.

And many bands that sound great on a studio album, suck all kinds of suck when they're on stage.

I have favorite bands in both categories, but having seen a few hundred live performances, the bands from the first are far more talented in my opinion, I can't help but have so much more respect for them than studio bands. 

There are of course some bands that are great in both the studio and live, they are rare, but I'll still take their live performances over their studio any day.

Here's one of them:

The best bands rock it live!

• Like 1

Start of old thread

End of old thread

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent." -- Victor Hugo

The Gael

(because I like hot violinists) ;)

http://youtu.be/EVbu8bh7SWk

wow, she is as stunningly beautiful as she is good at the violin. Maybe even better at the violin, which is even more impressive, by far, obviously. We should kickstarter her appearance on PoE hAHA!

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

HA! Good Fun!

True. It seems like most of the *great bands give an incredible live-experience. But as soon as they hit the studio, it's like the magic, or whatever you might call it, dissappear. It's like touring and playing in front of people is what give them that special mojo.

*great as in those bands that do not sell ridicolous amount of records, but somehow manages to get up to 10 000 attending each venue. 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Feelgood Friday thumper.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Was "Want You Gone" received as well by everyone as "Still Alive"? I can't say that I particularly liked the former...this song, consequently, is the song that I think of in regards to Portal 2's ending.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Was "Want You Gone" received as well by everyone as "Still Alive"? I can't say that I particularly liked the former...this song, consequently, is the song that I think of in regards to Portal 2's ending.

I feel the same. "Want You Gone" is sort of... okayish, but not great.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Yes put out a rather generous quantity of seriously ****ing awesome music.  This particular tune features one of my favorite outros ever.  It almost seems like it goes on way too long (3 minutes!), but it's so freaking good that you don't want it to stop, then the guitars kick it up a notch at the end and you wind up wishing it could have gone on for a couple more minutes.  Ain't too many bands that could pull that off.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

for Gromnir, carl palmer is one o' those enigma drummers-- we know he is fantastic, but we rare like his music. what we mean is that there is some elp stuff we think is great, but most o' the asia catalog interests not at all. keep in mind that our first genuine exposure to palmer were late 70s and early 80s, and that were when there were some significant negative backlash lingering from elp's Love Beach release.

regardless, palmer is what made the good elp stuff memorable for us.

aside: our favorite drummer is a cliché choice

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

for Gromnir, carl palmer is one o' those enigma drummers-- we know he is fantastic, but we rare like his music. what we mean is that there is some elp stuff we think is great, but most o' the asia catalog interests not at all. keep in mind that our first genuine exposure to palmer were late 70s and early 80s, and that were when there were some significant negative backlash lingering from elp's Love Beach release.

regardless, palmer is what made the good elp stuff memorable for us.

aside: our favorite drummer is a cliché choice

HA! Good Fun!

Asia was rather hit or miss.  They put out some good stuff, but never, in my opinion, anything nearly as good as the masterpieces from the legendary bands that the members came from (Yes, ELP, King Crimson).

As for drummers, obviously Buddy Rich was a legend among legends.  Phenomental.  I'm a Billy Cobham man myself, he's always been my favorite drummer.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

While not as techical as those guys, here's Danny Carey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9DUndOx0gQ

I always appriciate musicians that have that sense of good groove, even on drums. 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

While not as techical as those guys, here's Danny Carey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9DUndOx0gQ

I always appriciate musicians that have that sense of good groove, even on drums. 

the original funky drummer, clyde stubblefield were one o' those often unheralded studio musicians who knew how to play with the song. 

as an aside, we noted a few pages ago that we ain't a big jazz fan, but without Tony Williams, modern rock drumming wouldn't be the same. so, for enoch...

HA! Good Fun!