I think an indie, Kickstarted MMO could be pretty interesting. The problem with MMOs is that no one wants to change the mold, at all. Oh sure, they fill it with different weapons, and lore, and races, etc. But, at the end of the day, they're always pretty much the same.

All criticisms of GW2 aside (I swear that game was the closest I've ever come to enjoying an MMO on its own merits), I agree that a Kickstarted MMO would be cool. Unfortunately, MMOs tend to be really expensive (which is why they so often kill studios when they fail), so I think people would be unpleasantly surprised how little they'd get for their money. In short, while I agree that it'd be really cool, I doubt it'll happen. Or, to be more specific, I doubt it'll turn out well when someone inevitably tries.

Yeah, sorry. I got a bit carried away with digression.

I'd be interested to see a unique attempt at an MMO, though.

And, for what it's worth, GW2 was the closest I've ever come to that same thing. As I said... they had a lot of good ideas, compared to the typical mold. But, I still think they ended up just butting their heads against the mold a bit, instead of shattering it with a Leonidas kick and strolling outside of it.

I think people are just too afraid to design a game to get subscriptions from anyone other than the current MMO crowd. As if there's absolutely no other way you could make a massively-multiplayer game that was worth paying $10-a-month for. I realize it's very expensive, though, to even attempt.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u