Pillars of Eternity – Partnership FAQ for Backers

One thing that was asked earlier that I didn't answer was about customer service once the game is released. I didn't want to answer until I had asked around and gotten the real answer for you guys.

Paradox will be heading up customer service once the game is released.

Thanks for the clarification, I was already guessing so. ;)

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

"Publisher"

'Publishing'

Semantics aside - the only important distinction in this case is how Obsidian and Paradox view their relationship.

Does creative control remain with Obs?  Do final decisions on X,Y,or Z remain with Obs?  Do future development decisions remain with Obs?

Largely, yes - though decisions on packaging for the boxed editions and perhaps which stores to target, may be with Paradox now.

[woah, deja vu - I'm getting that a lot in these forums lately - we're not taking paradox too literally and introducing time-loops are we?]

Can Paradox have input?  Probably of the "We've looked into this and think that '***' is worth considering.  But then Obs will decide if it's a good suggestion or not.

Methinks that suggestions of "We've done a survey of gamers on websiteB.com and 80% are in favour of a My Little Pony companion" would be met with "really? Ooookay. .... sadly we've no way to implement that mechanically, oh woe is us" or words to that effect.

The big question would come when funding PoE2 - would they partner with a publisher (eg Paradox) there in a more traditional way?  Or keep it self-funded and go with the same marketing deal?  Probably depends on more details than are at present known.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

So, I've found two sources which should calm down all you people who worry about DRM-free distribution with Paradox being responsible:

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_DRM-Free_Games_on_Steam

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/magicka/1216907p1.html

It should be clear that Paradox isn't just "another publisher" trying to impose DRM on every game they publish. Instead they tried to avoid that so far for the most time. ;)

• Like 1
35167v4.jpg

Hmm this point about customer service being handled by Paradox, I worry that Obsidian will become distant from their backers, sort of like the backers will beocme the responsibility of Paradox. Not sure how that will play out.

• Like 2

So, I've found two sources which should calm down all you people who worry about DRM-free distribution with Paradox being responsible:

It should be clear that Paradox isn't just "another publisher" trying to impose DRM on every game they publish. Instead they tried to avoid that so far for the most time. ;)

Yes. Many people thin Steam = DRM... But Paradox games on Steam are DRM-free.

Hmm this point about customer service being handled by Paradox, I worry that Obsidian will become distant from their backers, sort of like the backers will beocme the responsibility of Paradox. Not sure how that will play out.

But many people at Paradox where backers too... ;)

Steam is always DRM, as to install games you need Steam client, Steam account and game on your account (or on account of some one in you family share list), to install it, which means that it is way to control digital content after sale aka DRM. Although Paradox games on Steam don't have any extra DRM mechanics after installing game, which means that you can copy and/or move installed files to other folders/disks/computers if you wish. But strictly speaking they aren't DRM-free as Steam itself always work as DRM on games that needs it to be installed, even if game works without Steam after install.

• Like 1

Steam is always DRM, as to install games you need Steam client, Steam account and game on your account (or on account of some one in you family share list), to install it, which means that it is way to control digital content after sale aka DRM. Although Paradox games on Steam don't have any extra DRM mechanics after installing game, which means that you can copy and/or move installed files to other folders/disks/computers if you wish. But strictly speaking they aren't DRM-free as Steam itself always work as DRM on games that needs it to be installed, even if game works without Steam after install.

But you need a Installer for gog too. And for GamersGate. So they are not more or less DRm-free then this.

Following that logic GOG was a DRM-service as well because you need an account for purchasing the game and downloading the files for the first time at least. It's in fact exactly the same thing.

Personally, I think you overstretch the definition of DRM a bit too much here.

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

In GOG you get download installer after purchase and you don't need any client programs, accounts to use said installer, which means that it is DRM-free, where in Steam you need Steam client and account to install game, which means that they have control over how you can use your digital product after purchase, which mean that it isn't DRM-free. 

GOG's store front that allow you to download those DRM-free installers uses accounts to check if what games person on site owns and can download and all new purchases are tied to that account, so it's way to control digital content after purchase and therefore is DRM, but one that don't restrict how you can use your purchased digital product, but one that controls your opportunity to re-download digital content that you have purchased.

Gamegate uses downloader installers that you can use for limited time without need to give it your account details, which means that it's way to control digital content after purchase, which means that it isn't DRM-free.

But you need a Installer for gog too. And for GamersGate. So they are not more or less DRm-free then this.

You don't need an installer for GOG, you just need to download the files from their store. The installation and the playing can be done entirely off-line after that.

• Like 2

You don't need an installer for GOG, you just need to download the files from their store. The installation and the playing can be done entirely off-line after that.

Okay. It works without the installer. But you can play Paradox games without steam too. Just the downloading and installing is on steam. A fter this you can delete steam and play the game without internet and without steam.

But you can play Paradox games without steam too. Just the downloading and installing is on steam. After this you can delete steam and play the game without internet and without steam.

Until you want the patch....

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

worry-wart.jpg

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Okay. It works without the installer. But you can play Paradox games without steam too. Just the downloading and installing is on steam. A fter this you can delete steam and play the game without internet and without steam.

This (bolded) is the key part - to install the game you need an internet connection and the steam client.

If Steam goes bye-bye, you can't reinstall your games.  If GOG goes bye-bye, I can use my backed-up installers to continue installing the game as many times as needed.

GOG is an online shop wherein you buy a product and it provides additional after-sales service.  Steam is an online shop wherein you buy a service with product as an inseparable pair.  If the service goes, your product (the installation file) is useless (AFAIK and would be happy to be corrected).

This is what makes Steam DRM - you need the steam client to install the game.  It therefore controls ('manages') the rights of people to install the software (aka DRM).

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

But you can play Paradox games without steam too. Just the downloading and installing is on steam. After this you can delete steam and play the game without internet and without steam.

Until you want the patch....

Or buy any of the plethora of DLC, or play multiplayer, or ironman.

And of course, even if that were actually drm free it would only be so if you bought direct from steam. Buy retail or from Gamersgate/ Amazon/ OtherDD and you have to plug a code in to activate and access the game- the exact same process to all practical concerns as if it were Securom or Tages.

• Like 1

Yes, you need Steam for patches. But just open steam one time and let it do.

Ironman and Archievements aren't important, and they work with the steam services.

And the multiplayer,,, The reason behind this is just, because Paradox had problems with the own multiplayer and the steam one works much better.

But okay... It's unimportant. I think we move to much away from the main topic. Paradox didn't develops PoE just published it and don't force Obsidian to anything.

This (bolded) is the key part - to install the game you need an internet connection and the steam client.

If Steam goes bye-bye, you can't reinstall your games.  If GOG goes bye-bye, I can use my backed-up installers to continue installing the game as many times as needed.

GOG is an online shop wherein you buy a product and it provides additional after-sales service.  Steam is an online shop wherein you buy a service with product as an inseparable pair.  If the service goes, your product (the installation file) is useless (AFAIK and would be happy to be corrected).

This is what makes Steam DRM - you need the steam client to install the game.  It therefore controls ('manages') the rights of people to install the software (aka DRM).

Just save CK2 on a CD. Without the installer, but you can save the whole game.

Hopefully for non-backers, this won't be the case on gog.com. They backed away from their regional pricing plans after there was a backlash from customers. On STEAM, there will be a difference in price between regions just like I have seen for any other KS game.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bump!  :)

I don't think it's been made clear but will Pillars of Eternity be available at online retailers such as base, zavvi, amazon etc?

InXile did this with Wasteland 2: http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/wasteland-2/10831341.html

I would say that probability of that is very high, I think that question will be more about what swag comes with the game.

• 4 weeks later...

I was dubious about this partnership initially, but I trust the folk at Obsidian and tbqh anything that allows them to put more focus on development (and bug testing ;) is good news for everyone!

I was dubious about this partnership initially, but I trust the folk at Obsidian and tbqh anything that allows them to put more focus on development (and bug testing ;) is good news for everyone!

Honestly, though, people should not have a knee-jerk reaction to 'publisher'.

Honestly, though, people should not have a knee-jerk reaction to 'publisher'.

*covers ears* AHHhhh! You said the word even the Knights Who Say 'Ni!' can't stand!

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

• 2 months later...