Thief...what have they done!?

Arkan

I'll buy it when it's on sale. Looks much better than Dishonored.

Do you mean art direction? I seriously hope you're basing that opinion on 30 second youtube vids! I mean, Dishonored's vivid colors and designs versus ... loads of shades of brown and grey brick? I struggle to think of a title in the last 3 years that's more bland than Thiaf.

Even on a 75% steam sale, this would be a monumental waste of money. Humble bundle in 2 years, and even then only if you donate $1 with a custom split that cuts Eidos out of any share of that.

That review was awesome and hilarious! Thanks or sharing.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Ugh. The only thing the new so-called Thief game is good at is making me angry... I consider myself a grown-up person but still get crazy angry when people make **** out of game series you've known and loved in the past. I don't think I've been this mad at a **** sequel in my entire life.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

The game is an ironic practical joke on its very customers.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

So it was the voice acting that turned you off?  Not the dumbed down gameplay, not the nonsensical story, not the various technical problems?

damn, and after DEHR i had high hopes for these guys to do a proper thief game

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

They changed the voice actor who voiced GARRETT! I just saw a trailer for the game through Steam and was immediately turned off by it because of that.

Stephen Russell IS GARRETT!

Bad decision. They lost a sale :(

I disagree about the voice actor. The dialogue itself is wooden and undramatic and the sound design glitchy, but the VA is solid.

I've worked with actors in both the Vicon and XSENSE Motion Capture Systems and I can tell you that what they say is actually correct. Motion capture actions combined with voices by someone else causes an unnatural disconnect... when you have super high quality CG and a lot of dialogue spoken during face close-ups as the character goes through the action - while I haven't played this game, I really doubt this is the case.

Having played the game, I'll say that either their facial motion capture is poor or that instead of hiring voice actors, they need to hire regular actors. Characters speak by flapping their jaw up and down and widening their eyes. There's nothing near the range of facial expression real people have, or even the sort of facial expression I've seen in Witcher 2 or Dragon Age 2.

Alternatively, the hand animations are fantastic. Those are definitely motion capture.

I'll buy it when it's on sale. Looks much better than Dishonored.

I'm comfortable saying that Dishonored is the superior game.

Thief is fun at times. Sneaking around while stealing everything that isn't nailed down can be enjoyable. There's a part where the designers seem to acknowledge the voyeuristic pleasures of a stealth based game. I liked that the brothel included bare breasts and people having sex. Some of the levels were creepy. Exploration is somewhat more rewarding than Dishonored, but far less so than DX:HR.

Other than that though, Dishonored is superior. The plot, the characters, the level design, the AI, navigating the world, convincing you that this is a real city, the various equipment, the 'super powers,' and the supernatural beings... Dishonored does it better.

I'll give you an example: In Dishonored and in Thief there's a serious plague going around. In Dishonored, the explanation for how that plague started makes sense, the hero has every reason to be involved in trying to cure it, and in the end you get to dish out justice. In Thief, there's no good explanation, the hero has no reason to be involved but is anyway because the plot demands it, and the 'justice' at the end is ME 3 levels of WTF.

Yes, the ending to this game is a bad as ME3's.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'll give you an example: In Dishonored and in Thief there's a serious plague going around. In Dishonored, the explanation for how that plague started makes sense, the hero has every reason to be involved in trying to cure it, and in the end you get to dish out justice. In Thief, there's no good explanation, the hero has no reason to be involved but is anyway because the plot demands it, and the 'justice' at the end is ME 3 levels of WTF.

Yes, the ending to this game is a bad as ME3's.

That's not possible. ME3 had the added effect of having over 100 hours invested per Shepherd assuming you played all 3 games. If you count all of my characters up until the first (only) time I finished ME3, I had over 400 hours invested in it. I would have been satisfied with a DA:O-type ending telling me what happened to everybody.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I'm comfortable saying that Dishonored is the superior game.

Considering I had enough of it after 2 hours (according to Steam) with no desire to continue... that's bad.

Oh well, no Thief 4 for me...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Was gifted a copy of Theif 4. Got to the last chapter, then there was a really long plot sequence, they take place in this sortof dream world and they are mucho  boring and I just could not bring myself to finish it. 

There are moments of good and even great level design, sneaking by completely undetected is rare and therefore very rewarding, but these moments are fleeting. Mostly, all of my negative preconceptions were confirmed. 

Garret doing the batman one-liners is like fingernails on a blackboard, it's hard not to wince at. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Disappointing to hear how slipshod this is. Is new Garrett a Grade A wiseass at least? I sure hope so.

New Garrett has moments of black humor. "Poor Lady Haverdale. First the fire... now me." "I just hope he's not selling it to my butcher." It's then that the voice actor sounds most Garrett-like.

Those moments are few and far between. Nu-Garrett is a terribly serious fellow.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.