Support the Ban Bossy campaign

BruceVC

You make some good points, but for me banning the word is not the real point of the website. There are much more relevant points made on the website to allow young women to become future leaders. Please read this link, and read it properly if you don't mind, and you'll see there is not much reference to actually banning the word

http://banbossy.com/wp-content/themes/leanin/ui/microsite/ban-bossy/resources/Ban_Bossy_Leadership_Tips_for_parents.pdf?v=1&77f96d

When a little boy asserts himself, he’s called a “leader.” Yet when a little girl does the same, she risks being branded

“bossy”

Calling a girl “bossy” when she asserts her voice—a word we rarely use for little boys—sends the message

that girls should not speak up.

Actually when I was being bossy as a kid - ordering people to do things and being petulant if they didn't do as I said - my mom called me bossy.

Not a leader, not assertive.  She called me what I was being and if I persisted I was punished.  Maybe things have changed radically since I was 6 or 7, but I don't think *that* much.

As to not being about banning the word - "BAN BOSSY" is on every page, so...

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Bruce, you are the fluffiest, cuddliest fascist I've ever encountered.

You make good points Monte. But the epedemic of calling girls bossy is spiraling out of control?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Okay I'm not going to push this one, I am a realist and if a good father and liberal like Hurlshot thinks its stupid than that is my benchmark to realize this is an ineffective way of spreading the message. And I genuinely mean that, I'm not  being sarcastic. Thanks for all the input, I'll focus on other campaigns that will be more effective

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Don't read it. It's an evil, bossy, insulting, cruel, and Nazi wannabe website. Yeah, I went there. It's about power and control.

Low blow, using the b-word like that Volo.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Don't read it. It's an evil, bossy, insulting, cruel, and Nazi wannabe website. Yeah, I went there. It's about power and control.

Low blow, using the b-word like that Volo.

Kiaine you are the only one taking this seriously, well played....I imagine its hard with the other members dismissing the idea :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Actually Bruce, I'm making fun of you.

• Like 1

Actually Bruce, I'm making fun of you.

Really ???...Never  :-

It doesn't make you any less funny ...really made me laugh :teehee:  :teehee:

John Milton 

Oh Kaine something else, I really enjoyed your posts because it made me realize how utterly silly the campaign sounded. This just vindicates my decision to drop it, so you unintentionally helped me

"Low blow, using the b-word like that Volo....:lol:      

John Milton 

Okay I'm not going to push this one, I am a realist and if a good father and liberal like Hurlshot thinks its stupid than that is my benchmark to realize this is an ineffective way of spreading the message. And I genuinely mean that, I'm not  being sarcastic. Thanks for all the input, I'll focus on other campaigns that will be more effective

I wouldn't call myself a liberal, but thanks :p

• Like 1

Just drop the act and start burning books already. At least then there is no false pretences.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Just drop the act and start burning books already. At least then there is no false pretences.

That contributes to Global Warming.

Recycle them into napkins instead.

• Like 1

That contributes to Global Warming.

Recycle them into napkins instead.

With Brony-motifs on them. Daym, you got yourself an invester. Freedom be damned, there's money to be made!

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

George Carlin talked about this almost 20 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o25I2fzFGoY

• Like 3

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I wouldn't call myself a liberal, but thanks :p

No Hurlie, you are a Commie. And I know where you live. :skeptical:

sonsofgygax.JPG

I think bossy isn't contemporary enough, whenever there is a bad female boss everyone I know just calls her a bitch and that includes my female relatives who considering are the ones that suffer the most from bitchy/bossy females on the workplace I'd say have every right to express their dislike.

Maybe they shouldn't ban the words and just make it illegal for women to be either bossy or bitchy.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I certainly wasn't expecting that in this thread.

I'm going to find me a bossy woman.

• Like 2

Banning words...

Anyone burnt some good books lately? Filthy things are full of words. Some of them unpleasant and inconvenient ;)

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

So "banning words" is going to help equality somehow? That sounds rather like crimethink.

Maybe the "initiative" is about something else entirely, but after a quick glance I couldn't tell.

Yes, eliminating words can change how people think. I just don't think it's the right way to go about it.

5 examples of how the languages we speak can affect the way we think.

Yes dear, that's exactly the idea behind newspeak. But apparently you missed the reference.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Bruce brings up a good point. I don't think banning the word 'bossy' is enough. We should ban any and all words that anybody may take offense to. In fact, any words I don't like needs to be banned starting with any responses to this post. I await our land of unicorns and rainbows with hive like minded people. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Bruce brings up a good point. I don't think banning the word 'bossy' is enough. We should ban any and all words that anybody may take offense to. In fact, any words I don't like needs to be banned starting with any responses to this post. I await our land of unicorns and rainbows with hive like minded people. :thumbsup:

I'm sure someone will be offended by the words "unicorn"* and "rainbow" and you'll be left with nothing in your land but like minded people.

*True story: I actually typed "Unicron" and the thread was in danger of being derailed by the Transformers.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

A land of rainbow Unicrons. Horror.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra