Support the Ban Bossy campaign

BruceVC

http://banbossy.com/

Take a look guys, I think this is another important step in achieving equality for women and for ensuring that young girls can reach there full potential through being confidant about becoming leaders

I hope many of you support this initiative :)

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So "banning words" is going to help equality somehow? That sounds rather like crimethink.

Maybe the "initiative" is about something else entirely, but after a quick glance I couldn't tell.

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Nope, I will keep using the term bossy.  Not too sure on the initial assumption of this, either. 

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I have a bossy boss who likes to boss me around to feel like a boss.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well, the materials they have in needlessly fancy PDFs are what I expected. Advise girls to speak up in class, don't be afraid to be wrong, etc. (useful for any student, you'd think..) so meh.  The "advice" for managers isn't that goofy, though making sure women sit near the center and front in meetings is a bit so.  The parents and teachers documents are about the same - though, the activities make me shake my head (I guess I have a more jaded household where crap like that would get a laugh).

Good for theoretical, I suppose. 

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I never liked Bruce Springsteen either, I say it's about time his music was banned.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So "banning words" is going to help equality somehow? That sounds rather like crimethink.

Maybe the "initiative" is about something else entirely, but after a quick glance I couldn't tell.

Yes, eliminating words can change how people think. I just don't think it's the right way to go about it.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I never liked Bruce Springsteen either, I say it's about time his music was banned.

Listening to Born in the USA is awkward for non-Americans.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm fully behind the idea, but this execution is... suboptimal, to say the least.

Agreed.  They're attacking a label.  Even if they manage to 'ban' the label it will solve nothing since it doesn't address the underlying problem.  A different label will simply get used.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Guys I get some you think this particular initiative is lacking, I also don't think it is that effectively marketed through the website. But don't let this detract from the message. This is about visibility and by supporting the message you increase visibility. So you may ask "what is the message". For me its about young girls believing that they can achieve anything they want, this is something we should all support?

Here are some articles from the website around how young girls are doing great things in the world

http://banbossy.com/things-we-love/

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The word isn't the problem.

Once again its not about the word but what the word symbolizes around this campaign.

• Like 1

John Milton 

Once again its not about the word but what the word symbolizes around this campaign.

The campaign is about the word.

Oh they have other stuff too, don't get me wrong (some of it a bit of a headscratcher to me), but they wouldn't target the word if it wasn't about the word.

But as you say, the word is a symbol (and not really a symbol of what they say - a bossy person is a bossy person and has never to my mind indicated gender) and the problem isn't the word or really what it means and in that sense I think they're terribly misguided in their approach. 

Like many social movements they attack the symptoms in the hope that they'll damage the root cause when they should be attacking the root cause which will render the symptoms meaningless.

IMO.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

This is stupid.

I'd say it is more important to just ignore gender as much as possible.  I've seen just as many articles about not calling your boy tough.  

I'd rather just call my kids tough when they are tough, and bossy when they are bossy, regardless of whether it is my son or daughter.  When they are a leader, that's great.  There is a big difference between being a leader and being bossy.

• Like 3

The campaign is about the word.

Oh they have other stuff too, don't get me wrong (some of it a bit of a headscratcher to me), but they wouldn't target the word if it wasn't about the word.

But as you say, the word is a symbol (and not really a symbol of what they say - a bossy person is a bossy person and has never to my mind indicated gender) and the problem isn't the word or really what it means and in that sense I think they're terribly misguided in their approach. 

Like many social movements they attack the symptoms in the hope that they'll damage the root cause when they should be attacking the root cause which will render the symptoms meaningless.

IMO.

You make some good points, but for me banning the word is not the real point of the website. There are much more relevant points made on the website to allow young women to become future leaders. Please read this link, and read it properly if you don't mind, and you'll see there is not much reference to actually banning the word

http://banbossy.com/wp-content/themes/leanin/ui/microsite/ban-bossy/resources/Ban_Bossy_Leadership_Tips_for_parents.pdf?v=1&77f96d

John Milton 

This is stupid.

I'd say it is more important to just ignore gender as much as possible.  I've seen just as many articles about not calling your boy tough.  

I'd rather just call my kids tough when they are tough, and bossy when they are bossy, regardless of whether it is my son or daughter.  When they are a leader, that's great.  There is a big difference between being a leader and being bossy.

Please read the link above in my post, I think you have completely missed the main points of the website

John Milton 

This is stupid.

Please read the link above in my post, I think you have completely missed the main points of the website

I read it.  I think there are better programs out there to help encourage female leadership, like the Girl Scouts.  I know there are a sponser, but it is still a silly campaign.

Edited by Hurlshot

Always wonder at how effective these "empowerment" things are. 

Yes, eliminating words can change how people think. I just don't think it's the right way to go about it.

5 examples of how the languages we speak can affect the way we think.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."