Showstopper bug at end of day 1, can't continue (update: not actually a bug)

epmode

Question

I posted this on the Steam forum but I figure it couldn't hurt to post it here as well:

So I play through the end of day 1, beat the boss of the UFO, the ship crash lands, the cutscene plays where the guy picks up the phone, then the game goes through a loading screen.

The way I understand it, it should come back to New Kid's bedroom. In my game, a room appears but all I see is a window and a wall. There's no bed and there aren't any characters. It stays like this indefinitely.

Loading all three of the checkpoint saves in the UFO results in the same bug. I even tried loading my last manual save from before the detention breakout but I got stuck at the same point.

Is there a workaround for this awful bug or am I stuck until Obsidian patches the game?

I attached my latest save as well as the latest checkpoint in case anyone wants to take a look.

saves.zip

Edited by epmode

3 answers to this question

I love you.

I did, in fact, rename all of the 000* video files in data\movies.  I assumed that all of the 000 files were part of the intro.  Looks like several of them are required for this transition to load properly.

I watched all of the files in a Bink player and fixed all of the non-logo files.  Everything works fine now.

• Like 1

I love you.

I did, in fact, rename all of the 000* video files in data\movies.  I assumed that all of the 000 files were part of the intro.  Looks like several of them are required for this transition to load properly.

I watched all of the files in a Bink player and fixed all of the non-logo files.  Everything works fine now.

Not everything in Obsidian games is a bug  :biggrin:

If you have any further problems with the game please post them in this forum. The devs are most likely to read it and as such help you out. Steam discussions usually move very fast.

Edited by C2B