The new issue if PC gamer has just dropped through my letterbox (subscriber) and includes a 4 page spread on pillars of eternity (actually 6 pages but that includes a double page of not much but some concept art and 2 paragraphs)

It's based on an interview with Joh Sawyer.

It's a nice piece with some shots I havent seen and some info I didn't know (though admittedly I don't read everything so I don't know if it really is new info)

As an unrelated bonus it also has features on a couple of the best looking of the other kickstarters I backed... Kindom come and elite dangerous.

Edited by motorizer
  • Like 2

I'm not all that sure what's new and what isn't, as I said, I don't read everything on here.

There is info about the cities and towns, a bit of backstory about the black woman with the feathery face, and an explanation some of the spells available to cyphers.

Plus a lot of stuff about how they want to make character generation more flexible and do away with the limitations of older games where you would be gimping yourself if you did something out of the ordinary.

Also some information about how your dialogue choices will affect your reputation in future rather than just being forgotten, giving the example that by repeatedly being aggressive you will get a reputation for boldness and people will react to that.

I had already seen most of the screenshots but there are a couple I hadn't seen before.

I'm sure the article will end up online on their site before too long.

Edited by motorizer
  • Like 1

Oh right, basically she's sworn to protect the interests of her Vailan homeland and it's dukes, but has rebelled against her superiors as she thinks she knows better, so she's a little conflicted.

And she's called Pallegina and is godlike, hence the feathers.

And she can join your party.

Edited by motorizer
  • Like 3

And she's called Pallegina and is godlike, hence the feathers.

I hoped they've already changed the name.

:-

Er...why? Haha.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1) Oh right, basically she's sworn to protect the interests of her Vailan homeland and it's dukes, but has rebelled against her superiors as she thinks she knows better, so she's a little conflicted.

2) And she's called Pallegina and is godlike, hence the feathers.

3) And she can join your party.

1) Definitely new information. Thanks!

2) We already knew those facts.

3) I figured, but that's a confirmation, so that counts as new.

She's a paladin class isn't she?

Does anyone know, do paladins require to be good like in D&D games?

Well, they don't have a good-evil alignment system so technically no.

I also read they (devs) see Paladins (in PoE) as 'zealots' so they (paladins) probably consider themselves to be 'good' but not everyone might agree.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I also read they (devs) see Paladins (in PoE) as 'zealots' so they (paladins) probably consider themselves to be 'good' but not everyone might agree.

Yep.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63968-update-56-paladins-and-wild-orlans/?hl=paladin

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

That's how I treat pallies in my D&D games.

They're based off historical religious warriors, so rivers of innocent blood are considered to be a good thing.

A Paladin is devoted to a cause or organization. There is no restriction that the cause needs to be good. Pallegina is a paladin and member of the brotherhood of the five suns.

see quote below(source could be behind a paywall):

Yes. All paladins are extremely devoted to one cause or organization. Some of these organizations are religious, like the Fellows of St. Waidwen Martyr (Eothasian). Others are political, like the Brotherhood of the Five Suns (Vailian Republics). Some are just extremely devoted to a rigid way of living/working/existing, like the Goldpact Knights (essentially mercenary paladins). Paladins gain their powers from their extraordinary devotion, regardless of what their particular cause may be. Priests tend to be more philosophical, introspective, and nuanced in how they think about/approach things. Paladins don't generally heavily emphasize self-sacrifice for its own sake, but much more than priests, paladins believe that "the cause" is more important than they are -- though they often disagree with how to best help their causes.

Edited by Prometheus

No, they also run brothels and love sex.

Also, the sex kills you.

This is a Planescape joke.

I just made a Planescape joke, guys.

• Like 1

paladins in PE are like suicide bombers. they do ANYTHING for the cause. 

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

paladins in PE are like suicide bombers. they do ANYTHING for the cause. 

No, not all suicide bombers are fanatics. Some choose to die so their destitute family will get looked after, for example.

A more pacifist example might be the Green peace whaling ship chasers.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Guys... we're forgetting the best example here. They're like Terminators. Not in that they necessarily terminate, but in that, they will do anything to not-fail their directive. Including somehow hard-resetting themselves even when they've been corrupted by a hostile, more advanced female-form terminator, and/or detonating their own nuclear power cells.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Guys... we're forgetting the best example here. They're like Terminators. Not in that they necessarily terminate, but in that, they will do anything to not-fail their directive. Including somehow hard-resetting themselves even when they've been corrupted by a hostile, more advanced female-form terminator, and/or detonating their own nuclear power cells.

I prefer the Order of the Stick version of Paladins.

One Paladin gets way too zealous, spends half the second story arc chasing our heroes down, tries to kill his LEADER for making a joke, and ultimately ends up sliced in half from a falling building, where upon the Gods themselves all tell him he screwed up.

• Like 1