video_autodetect.xml

astherial

Question

Hey I was just wounering if anyone else noticed that the video detect file is not up to date. The settings detect does not go past a gtx 460. So cards like mine get set to lowest settings. I verified this by checking out the ini files. 

2 answers to this question

How do you know what happens when a machine uses an Nvidia device that is not listed within video_autodetect.xml?

For instance, the device ID for the GPU in my laptop is 0x11a3, which is not listed in video_autodetect.xml and yet the game runs at highest quality for me.

It would seem logical that the game does:

1. Match device ID or SearchKey.

2. Set graphic detail based on search result.

3. If search result is not found, set highest detail.

It would make sense that every missing device ID is a higher number and thus probably a higher performing GPU because of being newer. Anything beyond a GTX480 (you did see device ID 0x06C0 in there, which is a GTX480?) can easily run the game at highest settings. Legacy and slightly older Device ID lists are easy to download. Newer ones are not.

Nvidia provide a device ID list current only to Jan 2013 (they obviously have a newer list somewhere, but Googling reveals only the Jan 2013 list as readily accessible).

If a new GPU comes out that isn't listed in video_autodetect.xml that doesn't have the necessary performance to cope with highest quality, it's a very simple process for Obsidian to release a patch, or even a quick forum post of "add this line to the config file".

Have you actually checked your config.ini file to see what your settings are maxed, and your engine.ini to see if you are running in dx9 or dx11. It may appear to be full settings, but if any of the items in the list say false, it is not, and I promise you if you set all those things to true, it makes a big difference in appearance and game performance. I accidentally listed the gtx 460 instead of the 480 and since that really made a huge difference in this conversation I thanks for the correction their. Also most games that are not setup to detect a card because the device id is not listed in one of the configuration files will usually default to lowest settings, unless the program was written to be smart enough to gauge the cards performance. However not all games have that feature.