RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Yes, but for a hardcore fan it would make more sense to add some to the price and actually add the game. I think this way a very large portion is going to go "why would I buy the collector's edition? it has no game!" maybe if they called it a paraphernalia pack or something, but they call it The Wolfenstein Panzerhund Edition, not The Wolfenstein Panzerhund Bucket O' Licensed Stuff. It's an EDITION of the game that doesn't actually have the game.

Wasn't Carmack one of the founders of Oculus rift? Oh well, he has at least more than enuogh money to commit himself to what he really wants then: Rocketry.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Wasn't Carmack one of the founders of Oculus rift? Oh well, he has at least more than enuogh money to commit himself to what he really wants then: Rocketry.

Not a founder, he moved over to them though as their Chief Technology Officer.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That could be the first-ever Collector's Addition to any game I've seen. 

icwotudid

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

So.. since nothing bad has actually happened to Oculus yet, you're basically pre-whining in the event that something bad does happen in the future?

Oookeeey. Carry on then.

But it is in some ways a betrayal of the public's trust, this project was financed by the public in large part to ensure that there wasn't any compromise in the maker's vision. Kickstarter backing has an anti-corporate subtext where people who don't trust big companies back the little guy allowing them to remain independent. Is hard for the public to see how this benefits the product and not just the makers and there is a justified concern of whether goals have been shifted. The Oculus was meant to be primarily a gaming device, now that Facebook is in the mix one has to be concerned about them pushing for their interest of making it a multimedia device. Since they have more pull (money) than the public there is a fear that priorities have changed.

• Like 4
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"But it is in some ways a betrayal of the public's trust,"

No. No;. No.

Fro what I heard ( i don't pay attention to Oculus), they fufilled their KS obligations. They're done. they owe their backers NOTHING more.

That's like me getting mad Obsidian after they release POE and them then releasing POE2 and asking me to pay for it? Why shouldn't they?

They. owe. you. nothing. more. than. the. KS. promised. PERIOD.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Always love the "anonymous source" reports.  What's the batting average on those? 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sounds really unbelievable to me.

But I have to say, I am already kinda highly annoyed by this topic... and it's in the news since only one day so far? Bleh...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/new-bill-proposes-fines-for-online-maidan-video-game/496838.html

A lawmaker has submitted a bill to the State Duma that would introduce fines for the distribution of video games that allow the player to command fascist forces.
Oleg Mikheyev, a Duma deputy from the A Just Russia party, has accused several video games of glorifying fascist exploits and degrading Russia, the party's press service said, Interfax reported Tuesday.
Mikheyev was offended by Soldiers: Heroes of WWII, which allows the player to control Nazi troops, but also took exception to Company of Heroes 2, in which gamers command a rough-and-tumble Soviet army unit that is at one point ordered to punish civilians for collaborating with Nazis, and a new online strategy game called Maidan, linked to recent street protests in Kiev.
"There is only one fact: the computer game Soldiers: Heroes of WWII, released in Ukraine, is the only game on the market in which a player can act as a soldier of the Third Reich. In American games this is impossible," Mikheyev said.
However, the option to assume the role German soldiers in World War II is quite commonplace in U.S. video games. Battlefield 1942 and all of the early Call of Duty games featured online multiplayer components in which players were split into two teams — one German and the other comprising one of the three Allied powers. Gamers can also command Nazi units in strategy games like Axis & Allies, the Silent Hunter series, in which the player commands a German U-Boat tasked with sinking Allied merchant vessels in the North Atlantic, and various combat flight simulators.
Company of Heroes II came under fire from Russian officials following its release in 2013, with some voicing concerns that it was teaching Russians the wrong lessons about the Red Army's exploits during World War II, Izvestia reported.
In one scene from the game, an officer shoots a retreating conscript in a cavalier fashion, while in another scene the player is instructed to burn down civilians' homes, painting a picture of the Red Army as little more than a mass of marauding bandits on their way to Berlin.
This prompted the Culture Ministry to fund the production of "patriotic" video games, the first of which is being created by the Russian Military History Society.
Mikheyev's bill recommends fines of up to 3,000 rubles ($84) for individuals and between 100,000 rubles and 500,000 rubles for corporate bodies.

A lawmaker has submitted a bill to the State Duma that would introduce fines for the distribution of video games that allow the player to command fascist forces.

This prompted the Culture Ministry to fund the production of "patriotic" video games, the first of which is being created by the Russian Military History Society.

:teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Any attempt to stop cheating or punish cheaters I think is excellent, as long as its effective.

So well done Titanfall :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I think the most interesting point there is what they've done about it more than anything. Rather than the blunt instrument of outright bans, it at least pays lip service to the idea that cheating can be fun with a little moderation. It's a sensible approach compared to that seen previously from EA, where for example a simple forum ban could also mean effectively being locked out of the game altogether.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I think the most interesting point there is what they've done about it more than anything. Rather than the blunt instrument of outright bans, it at least pays lip service to the idea that cheating can be fun with a little moderation. It's a sensible approach compared to that seen previously from EA, where for example a simple forum ban could also mean effectively being locked out of the game altogether.

Not to mention they get to keep customers.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

A while back, but not a long long time ago, and on this very forum instead of a galaxy far far away, a forumite named Alan told us about a game a friend of his is working on.

That game was (and still is) called NEO Scavenger.

Well, cool thing:

It's part of this week's Humble Weekly Sale!

For us do-gooders a win win deal: support a good cause while supporting a friend (of a friend (of the internet and not RL variety))

Ok,

the truth?

I am just excited that when I looked at the screenshot I thought "Isn't that?"

And when I asked Alan he said "Yes it is."

Which means that I may forget my keys.

I may forget to buy ink for my printer.

But my memory isn't completly gone :)

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

God, I'm tired of "early access".

At first I was like "yay, we get to follow the development of games, how exciting"

Then I bought some "open world, exploration/survival romp with action and zombies and exploshons and a billion features and OMG IT SOUNDS SO COOL". Download it, and it's a tree in a room with a skybox that says temporary and a pic of d!ckbutt instead. "Walking? Oh yeah, we're implementing that later", along with the other million features on the list that they will, eventually, maybe get to in an unspecified amount of time. 400 updates later, we're still not walking, but d!ickbutt has changed his blue shade 398 times and the tree has moved four inches to the left.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!