RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

12 gig card will be needed to run Witcher 3.

Well, i'm in the clear.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Minimum Requirement is a 3800.

Further making my 7850 look like a rip-off.

I think a 3800 would be the minimum for loading up the main menu screen.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Well, while I'm not thrilled about the Facebook buyout of Oculus, I'm not flipping out about it either.  I am, however, enjoying other people losing their **** over this.  Highly entertaining.

I'll bet you would be if EA was taking over PE... which is exactly what this is like to the OR backers. I'm going to write Kickstarter over this and if they cannot draft terms to prevent this sort of thing in the future then they can just remove my account, because I won't be supporting anything else.

• Like 1

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Well, while I'm not thrilled about the Facebook buyout of Oculus, I'm not flipping out about it either.  I am, however, enjoying other people losing their **** over this.  Highly entertaining.

I'll bet you would be if EA was taking over PE... which is exactly what this is like to the OR backers. I'm going to write Kickstarter over this and if they cannot draft terms to prevent this sort of thing in the future then they can just remove my account, because I won't be supporting anything else.

We're here raising money on Kickstarter to build development kits of the Rift, so we can get them into the hands of developers faster. Kickstarter has proven to be an amazing platform for accelerating big and small ideas alike. We hope you share our excitement about virtual reality, the Rift, and the future of gaming.

Emphasis mine. The KS was for development kits, and as far as I can tell, they delivered on that and gave backers their rewards. Nowhere in the Kickstarter did they say "we'll stay independent, promise!", so, while I can understand the disappointment, I'd have to say you're being unreasonable.

• Like 2

I think people are freaking out about the the Oculus news because they have been perceived as a "scrappy underdog" up until now. 

Personally, I don't care really. It was pretty unlikely that I was going to buy one in the foreseeable future... And if this makes VR seem doable to more companies, it might actually advance the tech to a point where I would want to buy into it.

Edited by Noviere

Your comparison is incorrect.  Oculus did a Kickstarter for an early dev kit.  To the best of my knowledge they have delivered a dev kit to each of their backers, fulfilling their obligation.  They have since gone on and made a second iteration of the dev kit and now they were bought by Facebook.  So if you want to make a analogy with Pillars of Eternity, this would be as if Obsidian finished Pillars of Eternity, went on to make Pillars of Eternity 2: The Search For More Pillars independently, then were subsequently bought out by EA.  I wouldn't be thrilled with that happening, that's for sure, but I wouldn't be screaming bloody murder at Kickstarter either since Obsidian had fulfilled their Kickstarter obligations.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Your comparison is incorrect.  Oculus did a Kickstarter for an early dev kit.  To the best of my knowledge they have delivered a dev kit to each of their backers, fulfilling their obligation.  They have since gone on and made a second iteration of the dev kit and now they were bought by Facebook.  So if you want to make a analogy with Pillars of Eternity, this would be as if Obsidian finished Pillars of Eternity, went on to make Pillars of Eternity 2: The Search For More Pillars independently, then were subsequently bought out by EA.  I wouldn't be thrilled with that happening, that's for sure, but I wouldn't be screaming bloody murder at Kickstarter either since Obsidian had fulfilled their Kickstarter obligations.

Why is there such furore over FB buying Oculus? Instagram was bought by FB and they were left to operate independently and this only benefited them. FB will  provide resources to Oculus and make the product cheaper and more interoperable. We should be celebrating this prudent business decision, or this is a case of the misplaced  " we hate big business as they always destroy smaller companies ideas and vision" ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Why is there such furore over FB buying Oculus? Instagram was bought by FB and they were left to operate independently and this only benefited them. FB will  provide resources to Oculus and make the product cheaper and more interoperable. We should be celebrating this prudent business decision, or this is a case of the misplaced  " we hate big business as they always destroy smaller companies ideas and vision" ?

Because its a buyout and we don't know what happens now. Regardless of how it benefitted Instagramm.

Facebook can do whatever now, and I can understand people like Notch (who put $10'000 into the project) be upset about that. It's not the people/company that they originally supported that is in power now.

Imagine Obsidian being suddenly bought by Facebook or another company. Buyouts are scary.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

So.. since nothing bad has actually happened to Oculus yet, you're basically pre-whining in the event that something bad does happen in the future?

Oookeeey. Carry on then.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

So.. since nothing bad has actually happened to Oculus yet, you're basically pre-whining in the event that something bad does happen in the future?

Oookeeey. Carry on then.

I'm not invested (in any form) in the Occulus. I'm just saying I can understand kickstarter backers being somewhat upset.

Imagine if last weeks announcement wasn't *Obsidian partners with Paradox", but *Paradox buys Pillars of Eternity IP* or *Paradox buys Obsidian*.

Edited by C2B

Instagram and FB operate in the same circle. Part of the whole internet social media class.

Occulus Rift occupies a drastically different niche. That of general technology, with a particular focus on games, and with some attention from hardcare gaming.

Facebook and hardcore gaming do not really overlap. In fact, there's quite a bit of hostility because of the type of games Facebook promotes. And to put it simply, people fear the Facebook acquisition moving Occulus into areas that Facebook is dominant and experienced with.

Look at Google's behavior with youtube. They've made strides to integrate youtube with the Google+ social service. And then realize Google has far more public goodwill than Facebook. The fear that Facebook will try to make Occulus serve Facebook is not entirely without basis.

Personal note: I'm not bothered by it. That's largely because I still don't see VR kicking off as big as most others. Though I do see what little potential it had for gaming being hurt by this acquisition. Thankfully there's still Morpheus.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/facebook-not-interested-in-vr-gaming-wants-to-create-a-vr-network-for-people-to-buy-virtual-goods/

“We’re clearly not a hardware company. We’re not going to try to make a profit off of the hardware long-term…but if we can make this a network where people are communicating, and buying virtual goods, and there might be ads down the line…that’s where the business could come from.”

• Like 1

Oookeeey. Carry on then.

Notch said it's bad though!

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If Notch said it's bad then it clearly MUST be bad.  Grab your pitchforks and torches, everyone!

In all seriousness, journalists must be high-fiving over this news.  We're going to be bombarded with approximately 800 bajillion editorial pieces about how Facebook buying Oculus is the end of the world and how Facebook buying Oculus is the greatest thing that has ever happened in the history of humanity over the next few months.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On the non-Facebookgate 2014 front:  Wolfenstein: The New Order will have a $100 Collector's Edition that doesn't include the game:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-26-wolfenstein-the-new-order-panzerhund-edition-doesnt-include-the-game

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Because its a buyout and we don't know what happens now. Regardless of how it benefitted Instagramm.

Facebook can do whatever now, and I can understand people like Notch (who put $10'000 into the project) be upset about that. It's not the people/company that they originally supported that is in power now.

Imagine Obsidian being suddenly bought by Facebook or another company. Buyouts are scary.

Instagram and FB operate in the same circle. Part of the whole internet social media class.

Occulus Rift occupies a drastically different niche. That of general technology, with a particular focus on games, and with some attention from hardcare gaming.

Facebook and hardcore gaming do not really overlap. In fact, there's quite a bit of hostility because of the type of games Facebook promotes. And to put it simply, people fear the Facebook acquisition moving Occulus into areas that Facebook is dominant and experienced with.

Look at Google's behavior with youtube. They've made strides to integrate youtube with the Google+ social service. And then realize Google has far more public goodwill than Facebook. The fear that Facebook will try to make Occulus serve Facebook is not entirely without basis.

Personal note: I'm not bothered by it. That's largely because I still don't see VR kicking off as big as most others. Though I do see what little potential it had for gaming being hurt by this acquisition. Thankfully there's still Morpheus.

Okay you guys make some good points, personally I'm not concerned but I do understand some of the potential risk. What worries me a little, as Tale alluded to, is that the Oculus technology won't be utilized as effectively towards the games I enjoy but rather a more social media type game. But I guess time will tell if my concerns are valid

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On the non-Facebookgate 2014 front:  Wolfenstein: The New Order will have a $100 Collector's Edition that doesn't include the game:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-26-wolfenstein-the-new-order-panzerhund-edition-doesnt-include-the-game

giphy.gif

The reality is for a hardcore fan all that paraphernalia makes sense and $100 is probably worth it. I would spend that on BG3 accessories if it was ever released?

John Milton