RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Looked at it, saw it was a mobile port, didn't bother looking further.

Though I must say it is interesting that steam apparently banned the "mobile port" tag from their new user based tagging service. Wouldn't want people to make informed decisions I guess...

• Like 4

Though I must say it is interesting that steam apparently banned the "mobile port" tag from their new user based tagging service. Wouldn't want people to make informed decisions I guess...

What? Dag nabbit, Valve.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

GreenManGaming has just issued a new 20% code, which in itself is unremarkable, but unlike the previous one that just expired, this one works with Stick of Truth, which happens to be at a reduced price of $45 already. So it comes out to $36, which I imagine is the cheapest it's been. For convenience: PLOCVS-G2T5YX-DATY6M

(P.S. I think a 'good game deals' thread might be a good thing to maintain around here since this doesn't really qualify as news.)

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Well isn't this interesting?

VknaALM.png

I guess people who have been waiting on a modern-day tank "simulator (use the term loosely if WoT and Warthunder are any indication)" without having to spend a *required* $100+ entry fee, exhaustively studying the ballistic tables of a 120mm DM-53 WHA penetrator fired from a Rheinmetall L/55 smoothbore, or brushing up on Field Manual 17-15 don't have to wait too much longer.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I wouldn't be surprised given how they've been contracted to contribute art assets to another Russian MMO that I can't recall the name of off the top of my head.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

That's the one. 

-Rod Serling

It's the same company, both games are listed amongst others here - http://games.my.com/

The decision to contract Obsidian of all companies makes a bit more sense in that regard - go with the company you know and have worked with, rather than a new partner. What I don't get is that Skyforge might be something just sold to the local Russian market, but this other thing might be sold internationally?

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

GreenManGaming has just issued a new 20% code, which in itself is unremarkable, but unlike the previous one that just expired, this one works with Stick of Truth, which happens to be at a reduced price of $45 already. So it comes out to $36, which I imagine is the cheapest it's been. For convenience: PLOCVS-G2T5YX-DATY6M

(P.S. I think a 'good game deals' thread might be a good thing to maintain around here since this doesn't really qualify as news.)

Thanks!

I'll use this to buy Warlock 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Well isn't this interesting?

VknaALM.png

I guess people who have been waiting on a modern-day tank "simulator (use the term loosely if WoT and Warthunder are any indication)" without having to spend a *required* $100+ entry fee, exhaustively studying the ballistic tables of a 120mm DM-53 WHA penetrator fired from a Rheinmetall L/55 smoothbore, or brushing up on Field Manual 17-15 don't have to wait too much longer.

I'm predicting it's going to tank.

;)

• Like 6

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

My concern around this Sarkeesian development is I don't want it to undermine all the other important work she is doing in raising awareness around the objectification of women in games. I am worried that people won't take her as seriously as they should because of how her image may get tarnished ?

I'd say she already raised the awareness about this, simply due to the hateful and hysterical reaction she has received. I find it stunning that when I started interesting myself in video games, the branche was in it self progressive and innovative and so was the people associated with it and playing the games. Sometimes nerds, sometimes geeks, but usually fairly open minded and tolerant people. After having watched the backlash at Sarkessian's kickstarter campaign, I wondered: What the Hell happened?

So, obviously, I started looking into what it was she was talking about, and thus became interested in the debate. So while I don't agree with her completely, she does raise some relevant points and the hysteria surrounding her campaign more or less proves her point.

Edited by TMZuk
  • Like 1

My concern around this Sarkeesian development is I don't want it to undermine all the other important work she is doing in raising awareness around the objectification of women in games. I am worried that people won't take her as seriously as they should because of how her image may get tarnished ?

I'd say she already raised the awareness about this, simply due to the hateful and hysterical reaction she has received. I find it stunning that when I started interesting myself in video games, the branche was in it self progressive and innovative and so was the people associated with it and playing the games. Sometimes nerds, sometimes geeks, but usually fairly open minded and tolerant people. After having watched the backlash at Sarkessian's kickstarter campaign, I wondered: What the Hell happened?

So, obviously, I started looking into what it was she was talking about, and thus became interested in the debate. So while I don't agree with her completely, she does raise some relevant points and the hysteria surrounding her campaign more or less proves her point.

You've raised some good points, I have a similar story to you. I always use to be concerned about issues around social justice but I gave it only a cursory glance. I live in a country with a high level of violence against women and children so about 3-4 years ago I became involved in various campaigns where South Africans publicly reject this form of abuse

This translated into looking at discrimination on the Internet and the whole issue around objectification of women in games became another focus point. Its real and does exist and of course there are different interpretations of it but as you mentioned you can see by the vitriol directed toward  Sarkessian some of the challengers around this. Certain people become very angry around any perceived change to what they enjoy...even if that change doesn't effect there gaming experience :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So, there's a new Quest For Glory game out...  sort of.  It's called Heroine's Quest and it looks insanely like Quest For Glory, which was originally called Hero's Quest, except, as you might have guessed, you play a female character.  Check it out:

http://kotaku.com/classic-pc-series-reinvented-with-female-lead-1548435140

http://store.steampowered.com/app/283880/

Oh yeah, and it's free.  Hopefully the game manages to capture some of the charm and humor of the games it's so obviously paying homage to.  I'm going to give this one a go when I get home.

Edit:  Apparently, this game has been out prior to this, it just hit Steam today.  Why had no one told me about this before?  Quest For Glory is my jam.  

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

GDC trailer for the GK Remake, shows some of the scenes with the artwork, characters.  Looks nice so far.  Still a shame the original VO was degraded badly.

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

GDC trailer for the GK Remake, shows some of the scenes with the artwork, characters.  Looks nice so far.  Still a shame the original VO was degraded badly.

That looks excellent, I can't wait :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So, there's a new Quest For Glory game out...  sort of.  It's called Heroine's Quest and it looks insanely like Quest For Glory, which was originally called Hero's Quest, except, as you might have guessed, you play a female character.  Check it out:

http://kotaku.com/classic-pc-series-reinvented-with-female-lead-1548435140

http://store.steampowered.com/app/283880/

Oh yeah, and it's free.  Hopefully the game manages to capture some of the charm and humor of the games it's so obviously paying homage to.  I'm going to give this one a go when I get home.

Edit:  Apparently, this game has been out prior to this, it just hit Steam today.  Why had no one told me about this before?  Quest For Glory is my jam.  

I finally found a place to download it without Steam.

IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/heroines-quest/downloads/heroines-quest-the-herald-of-ragnarok

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

GDC trailer for the GK Remake, shows some of the scenes with the artwork, characters. Looks nice so far. Still a shame the original VO was degraded badly.

Can't watch the video until later, but is the soundtrack the same?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Watched the trailer. Holy cow, how did I not know this was coming out?? Easily bumped up to #2 on my most anticipated list behind only Eternity.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle