RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Certainly an interesting idea and a welcome change of pace from the standard "Murica, **** Yeah! *brofist*" that's the vast majority of games about war.

This looks really interesting. Just sux that there is only the teaser right now. I'd like to know more before I forget about it again.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Hm, from the little blurb on the video I guess it's like a zombie survival game, avoid getting killed during the day (luckily snipers don't have NV scopes I guess), run out at night.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Koji Igarashi leaves Konami

"I've decided to break out on my own to have the freedom to make the kind of games I really want to make - the same kind I think fans of my past games want as well," Igarashi told IGN.

"Leaving Konami was a big decision, and not one I took lightly - I've spent my entire career there, made many friends, and had a lot of great opportunities - but I hope all the gamers and fans who have supported me in the past will join me in being excited about what comes next. Wish me luck!"

Good luck!  If by "the same kind I think fans of my past games want as well," he means something along the lines of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (minus the Castlevania part, naturally), then I say yes, yes, yes, **** yes!

What are the chances we see a Kickstarter from him (Inafune style) soon?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Koji Igarashi leaves Konami

"I've decided to break out on my own to have the freedom to make the kind of games I really want to make - the same kind I think fans of my past games want as well," Igarashi told IGN.

"Leaving Konami was a big decision, and not one I took lightly - I've spent my entire career there, made many friends, and had a lot of great opportunities - but I hope all the gamers and fans who have supported me in the past will join me in being excited about what comes next. Wish me luck!"

Good luck!  If by "the same kind I think fans of my past games want as well," he means something along the lines of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (minus the Castlevania part, naturally), then I say yes, yes, yes, **** yes!

What are the chances we see a Kickstarter from him (Inafune style) soon?

I feel as though this is the right time for him to break out on his own, the last 2 Castlevania have taken a different direction and there is now a vacuum for Metrovania style games, Strider certainly seemed to try and capitalize that. It will be interesting to see what he can come up with on his own.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well, if Igarashi suddenly pops up on Kickstarter pitching a metroidvania style game called Fortress of Vampires or something like that (I'm sure he could come up with a much better title than my lame one) I would be reaching for my wallet.  

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Oh good, now they can hit us up with microtransactions on both mobile and PC.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Linux Support Coming To GOG

No, don't duck. This is actually good news. We just wanted to announce that, after much deliberation, we've decided that one of the next steps for us is to support Linux. Now, we're not ready to launch Linux games on GOG.com just yet. We've only been working on bringing these Linux games to our service for a few months, and there's lots more to go, but we wanted to let you know what's going to be coming this fall to a digital distributor near you.

We're initially going to be launching our Linux support on GOG.com with the full GOG.com treatment for Ubuntu and Mint. That means that right now, we're hammering away at testing games on a variety of configurations, training up our teams on Linux-speak, and generally getting geared up for a big kick-off in the fall with at least 100 Linux games ready for you to play. This is, of course, going to include games that we sell which already have Linux clients, but we'll also be bringing Linux gamers a variety of classics that are, for the first time, officially supported and maintained by a storefront like ours.

This is, as we mentioned, something that we're in the early stages of, so we can't talk about what games will be a part of our GOG.com on Linux gaming launch--in part because we, ourselves, don't know what those games are--but we hope that you're excited about the fact that we're able to set "GOG.com Support for Linux" in our community wishlist as a task that is "In Progress." We know we are!

Yay!  :biggrin:

Edit:  Oops, looks like someone beat me to it.  :blush:

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Magicka creators making a Gauntlet reboot

That was the last arcade game I ever played. Was in a mall in Albuquerque, I think.

Day 1 purchase for me too! That arcade game nearly ruined me, and funny thing is, those monsters just kept on coming, and do I need to mention It? :alienani:

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Got a cracking live blog going on, on IGN from GDC and Sony ... the PS4 VR headset is expected to be revealed any moment!!!

Hoo, yeah, there it is ... Project Morpheus. A prototype unveiled at GDC so devs get a look and make games for it. Whew, exciting.

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

Damn, I really thought they were gonna self publish. Well this puts even more pressure on the game to succeed.

Why do you think self publishing is better? I would think a development company like Obsidian doesn't want to get involved in the distribution of PoE or the marketing around the distribution. This just adds logistical work to the project, let Obsidian focus on the actual development of the  game?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Why do you think self publishing is better? I would think a development company like Obsidian doesn't want to get involved in the distribution of PoE or the marketing around the distribution. This just adds logistical work to the project, let Obsidian focus on the actual development of the  game?

They are going to take a cut from every copy sold which means less money for Obsidian, which means they need to sell more games. Unless they made a contract whit a fixed amount of money, which I doubt.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

They are going to take a cut from every copy sold which means less money for Obsidian, which means they need to sell more games. Unless they made a contract whit a fixed amount of money, which I doubt.

But there would be distribution costs if Obsidian did it themselves, in fact I would argue it would more expensive as Paradox has the relationships with various distribution partners and its easier for them to negotiate discounts

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But there would be distribution costs if Obsidian did it themselves, in fact I would argue it would more expensive as Paradox has the relationships with various distribution partners and its easier for them to negotiate discounts

If they did physical copies, yes. But they are still going to have to pay those fees + pay Paradox for its work. As far as I understood, they teamed up so Paradox would handle the marketing aspect of the game, not so much the distribution, which now days is simple to do, on account there being Steam, GoG and other clones.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I imagine the theory goes like this:  Paradox markets Pillars of Eternity therefore Pillars of Eternity sells a lot more copies therefore Obsidian makes more money even considering Paradox getting a slice of the pie.  Everybody wins. (/cues the triumphant victory music)  Of course, that scenario only works if the game does indeed sell significantly more copies due to Paradox's marketing.  Only time will tell, I guess.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸