The Case for Romance II

Romances - interactions the PC can have with companions/NPCs that can result in a lengthy relationship in some way

The first one isn't a romance. It's the usual friendship/comraderie present in most party-based games with fleshed out NPCs.

I meant a romantic relationship, not friendship, so poorly worded on my part. In video games, I suppose that means very little difference, but there is still some difference.

So, I was wondering when the next Romance of the Three Kingdoms game is going to be made. I guess I'll settle for Dynasty Warriors 9 in the meantime.

Romance's definition isn't restricted to human copulation and feelings of affection. 1800 year old Han census records and how much of Jiangning's resources you want to devote to farming have also been called romances.

Edited by AGX-17

I meant a romantic relationship, not friendship, so poorly worded on my part. In video games, I suppose that means very little difference, but there is still some difference.

There's a huge difference actually. In a video game a Romantic relationship is a Romance. Hell, even an extended *flirt* session can be considered a romance (as evidenced by those who say that you can romance Annah in PS:T) while a non-romantic relationship is a friendship/camraderie, and sometimes even a brotherhood. PoE will not have the former. This has been confirmed.

It will likely have tons of the latter, though. Chris Avellone is a master at writing non-romantic relationships of all sorts.

Edited by Stun

Romance's definition isn't restricted to human copulation and feelings of affection

Fair enough, but there is a difference in the friendships you form with particular party members in say DA:O compared to the more intense interactions with love interests that also effect the plot in greater ways. I meant it strictly within the scope of a video game, not generalizing what the term means.

There's a huge difference. In a video game a Romantic relationship is a Romance, while non-romantic relationship is a friendship/camraderie. PoE will not have the former. This has been confirmed.

There isn't a huge difference in how they are implemented and played within the game, however, which is what I meant. And I already know its confirmed, you are preaching to the choir. :p

I was actually asking the question. What do you think is morally right and wrong. If someone in real life were to ask you what types of crpgs you play and what romances did you like, do you include those with the beast and vegetation romances? If not, why not? Would you be happy to see these types of romances in PoE 2? Is there no boundary you would cross for the chance to romance with something you would normally not do in real life.

Well anyone I know mostly see's Skyrim as the only crpg (and for that I pity them, and besides I think Morrowind is the better TES game).

Though jeez that would be a hard question to actually answer since a relationship like that would be viewed as too abnormal, even though people have presented a lot of concepts of inter-species romances especially in science fiction that has spread to the far masses. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head is the movie The Fly and the Marvel comics movie Howard the Duck (I wish I could forget that movie existed along with Steel).

Somehow I went blathering on without answering your question, if I was to take a stance on the subject I would remain as neutral as hell.

I was actually asking the question. What do you think is morally right and wrong. If someone in real life were to ask you what types of crpgs you play and what romances did you like, do you include those with the beast and vegetation romances? If not, why not? Would you be happy to see these types of romances in PoE 2? Is there no boundary you would cross for the chance to romance with something you would normally not do in real life.

Hiro I think you just need to be direct, no need to be ambiguous. You are asking if in PoE there will be the opportunity to Romance a Sheep. And we get it, you are Australian. You are among friends here, you can be honest :p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hiro I think you just need to be direct, no need to be ambiguous. You are asking if in PoE there will be the opportunity to Romance a Sheep. And we get it, you are Australian. You are among friends here, you can be honest :p

Wrong country. You're thinking of New Zealand.

blacksheep1.jpg

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Nice try though Bruce.

Also Bruce, to keep this on topic. Do you have a problem with non-human romances in crpgs? Looking on Amazon, there seems to be quite the variety for bibliophiles of the esoteric kind. I wonder if there's going to be Centaurs in PoE 2. Perhaps a quest concerning Centaurs or a Centaur King. Perhaps reading Unbridled; Centaur Chronicles I and further reading its sequel Dark Stallion; Centaur Chronicles II, or To Wed a Centaur King might elucidate you on romances with non-humans and mythical creatures.

I however have not read any of these books, though these questions are important for the promancers like yourself whether you don't have a problem with romancing non-humans in crpgs.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

Do you have a problem with non-human romances in crpgs?

51YdRWsp%2BUL.jpg

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Nice try though Bruce.

Also Bruce, to keep this on topic. Do you have a problem with non-human romances in crpgs? Looking on Amazon, there seems to be quite the variety for bibliophiles of the esoteric kind. I wonder if there's going to be Centaurs in PoE 2. Perhaps a quest concerning Centaurs or a Centaur King. Perhaps reading Unbridled; Centaur Chronicles I and further reading its sequel Dark Stallion; Centaur Chronicles II, or To Wed a Centaur King might elucidate you on romances with non-humans and mythical creatures.

I however have not read any of these books, though these questions are important for the promances like yourself whether you don't have a problem with romancing non-humans in crpgs.

I don't have an issue with any Romance with any availible race, but with an animal I have to draw the line. A Centaur is a good question....I consider that physiologically more like an animal so I would have to say no !!!

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Do you have a problem with non-human romances in crpgs?

51YdRWsp%2BUL.jpg

:lol: Dude, serioulsy, where do you find these things :lol:

John Milton 

I don't have an issue with any Romance with any availible race, but with an animal I have to draw the line. A Centaur is a good question....I consider that physiologically more like an animal so I would have to say no !!!

What if a centaur was a playable race and you could romance an elf with your Centaur? Would this be okay? It still fits into the playable and available race to be a Centaur.

I'm just gonna say if a My Little Pony crpg ever came into existence.

I would be done with this planet, I would get off earth and hop onto the nearest comet.

Edited by Whitefox789

What if a centaur was a playable race and you could romance an elf with your Centaur? Would this be okay? It still fits into the playable and available race to be a Centaur.

Mmmm..a valid question. I would be cautious to criticze fellow promancers but personally I wouldn't engage in that type of Romance option. And obviously Romance with a elf or even a Orc would be fine but I typically only initiate Romance with humans, elfs, half-elfs and other similar types of races. Remember you need to be able to RP a Romance encounter and I just wouldn't be able to get my head around a Centaur :blink:

John Milton 

And obviously Romance with a elf or even a Orc would be fine but I typically only initiate Romance with humans, elfs, half-elfs and other similar types of races. 

Chris Avellone does not approve of elves!

And obviously Romance with a elf or even a Orc would be fine but I typically only initiate Romance with humans, elfs, half-elfs and other similar types of races. Remember you need to be able to RP a Romance encounter and I just wouldn't be able to get my head around a Centaur :blink:

So Orcs are okay. What about a Khajiit (cat person) in Skyrim? Could you play that type of race or romance one? is it too 'animal' or are you okay with cats?

Khajiit_femmina.jpg

And obviously Romance with a elf or even a Orc would be fine but I typically only initiate Romance with humans, elfs, half-elfs and other similar types of races. Remember you need to be able to RP a Romance encounter and I just wouldn't be able to get my head around a Centaur :blink:

So Orcs are okay. What about a Khajiit (cat person) in Skyrim? Could you play that type of race or romance one? is it too 'animal' or are you okay with cats?

Khajiit_femmina.jpg

I think if someone wants to Romance a Khajiit thats fine. I wouldn't, the rule generally is people Romance humanoid creatures and thats what differentiates a Centaur from an Orc or Khajiit

John Milton 

I think if someone wants to Romance a Khajiit thats fine. I wouldn't, the rule generally is people Romance humanoid creatures and thats what differentiates a Centaur from an Orc or Khajiit

Okay. So you don't have a problem with other people romancing and having sex with cats. So as long it's humanoid, it's okay for you? What about in sci-fi crpgs. Would you romance a robot as long as it looked humanoid?

Okay. So you don't have a problem with other people romancing and having sex with cats. So as long it's humanoid, it's okay for you? What about in sci-fi crpgs. Would you romance a robot as long as it looked humanoid?

Well a Khajiit isn't a cat, its race that has the appearance of a cat. But it is as intelligent and emotional as a human. And another good question around a robot. If you take a TV series like Almost Human you basically have robots\cyborgs that look and can behave like humans. You also have "sexbots" in that show which humans use for physical gratification. So to answer your question if  a robot looks and behaves like a human then I don't see it being a problem for a Romance option? But I can see how that may be a controversial one..because does a robot truly understand human emotion which is a big part of interaction in Romance

• Like 1

John Milton 

Well a Khajiit isn't a cat, its race that has the appearance of a cat. But it is as intelligent and emotional as a human. And another good question around a robot. If you take a TV series like Almost Human you basically have robots\cyborgs that look and can behave like humans. You also have "sexbots" in that show which humans use for physical gratification. So to answer your question if  a robot looks and behaves like a human then I don't see it being a problem for a Romance option? But I can see how that may be a controversial one..because does a robot truly understand human emotion which is a big part of interaction in Romance

Well if someone is romancing a Khajiit and the romance takes them to the bedroom, and the Khajiit decides to go on all fours while someone want's to have sex, then it basically has the appearance of a cat. The Khajiit may have other characteristics of a cat and not just appearance. It may also mate like a cat with the male behind them. As I said, you don't seem to have a problem with someone romancing and having sex with a cat. If you want to bring up intelligence and emotions, the same can be said for Centaurs with having the intelligence and emotions as a human. I'm trying to understand why you don't have a problem with humans having sex with cats but Centaurs are a no no.

In regards to robots, while you're okay with romancing and having sex with robots, what sort of feedback would you expect from the robot. I'm curious what you would expect the robot to say or do during the romance. if it was programmed to have human emotions, what sort of emotions would you expect it to have. Would you like to see a whole range of human emotions (the affection, enthusiasm, cheerfulness, monotony, boredom, arguments, nagging, ... ) or would you be inclined to have only the good emotions from that robot that you're having romancing and having sex with it.

• Like 1