The Case for Romance II

Old thread here.

Boo was just another blatant example of pandering to a portion of your fan base. In this case, the Furries. :yes:

Squeakymeister whats your favorite RPG of all time ?

That's a good question, Bruce, and one to which I really don't have an answer.

I like different things in different games. I love the story in PS:T. I generally like everything in the BG series. I have even come to like some ARPGs as heretical as that may be. One of my favorite series wasn't even a RPG -- the original Thief series. So, there you have it. :)

• Like 1

Nice, good thinking Gfted1 :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I just snipped the last two posts from the old thread to this new thread to continue the conversation.

You mean this conversation that has nothing to do with PoE? This conversation that's devolved into one of prepubescent sexual innuendos?

Seagull mode Activate!

Waaaaaaaaaaaak! Waaaaaaaaaaakk! hooooooooonk!

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I just snipped the last two posts from the old thread to this new thread to continue the conversation.

You mean this conversation that has nothing to do with PoE? This conversation that's devolved into one of prepubescent sexual innuendos?

Yeah that same one, the same one that you've been an active participant in :yes:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So yeah... In the Stormlord trilogy, by Glenda Larke, the "snuggeries" (basically brothels, but the "our girls are educated and trained in much more than mere sex, so we hate being simply labeled as 'whores'" kind... kinda like companions in Firefly) were sort of the hubs of information. If you had connections at a snuggery, you could typically get information not only from those who frequent that one, but also from the rest of the snuggery network, so to speak.

Maybe something similar could exist in PoE, if there's going to be anything like that. And a more personal relationship with someone in such a position could lead to a variety of intel opportunities, as well as potential dangers (you don't know who else has access to info about you and what you've been asking about.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

You mean this conversation that has nothing to do with PoE?

As opposed to the subject matter that came before it? Romance itself has nothing to do with PoE, since it won't have any.

Which is why I'm completely baffled that the other thread has been allowed to exist here and even spawn a sequel. I mean, am I free to start a thread called: "the case for first person shooter mechanics" here on the PoE forums without it getting locked or moved? Just curious.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

You mean this conversation that has nothing to do with PoE?

As opposed to the subject matter that came before it? Romance itself has nothing to do with PoE, since it won't have any.

Which is why I'm completely baffled that the other thread has been allowed to exist here and even spawn a sequel. I mean, am I free to start a thread called: "the case for first person shooter mechanics" here on the PoE forums without it getting locked or moved? Just curious.

No thats not applicable, there is much more interest and opinion around Romance than a topic called "the case for first person shooter mechanics" and I think you know this. That would be my logical reason for the Mods creating an extended "Case for Romance 2"

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

No thats not applicable, there is much more interest and opinion around Romance than a topic called "the case for first person shooter mechanics" and I think you know this. That would be my logical reason for the Mods creating an extended "Case for Romance 2"

Aah, well it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a far more controversial, but totally non-PoE related, subject and do a thread about it here, in order to test your theory out. Edited by Stun

False. PoE will most likely have romance in it. It just won't have what have become typical video game romances -- entire quest chains/sub-plots/minigames dedicated to a romantic story between your main character and another character, usually of the party-member variety.

I mean, am I free to start a thread called: "the case for first person shooter mechanics" here on the PoE forums without it getting locked or moved? Just curious.

"First-person" mechanics inherently do not exist in a fixed, 3rd-person isometric game with completely 2D environments. Of course, they haven't really announced that there will never be any instance in the game in which the camera is zoomed to 1st-person view, and some 3D environment assets are loaded, and 1st-person mechanics take over -- maybe for an archery minigame or something. By the criteria set forth by the "Why is this being discussed if it's been announced that PoE's not doing romances?" crowd, you are absolutely free to discuss the potential of 1st-person mechanics in PoE.

Now, could we please post words relevant to this topic, or none at all? Writing in your own option C is getting old.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I had a curiosity question that is mildly related to the topic: apparently the God-like beings are unable to reproduce. In that case, are they entirely divested of their romantic tendencies due to their birthright? Or do they exhibit the normal range of romantic tendencies? I.e. are they Geralt-like (in reference to the protagonist in the Witcher CRPG)?

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Godlike only do anal.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"First-person" mechanics inherently do not exist in a fixed, 3rd-person isometric game with completely 2D environments. Of course, they haven't really announced that there will never be any instance in the game in which the camera is zoomed to 1st-person view, and some 3D environment assets are loaded, and 1st-person mechanics take over -- maybe for an archery minigame or something. By the criteria set forth by the "Why is this being discussed if it's been announced that PoE's not doing romances?" crowd, you are absolutely free to discuss the potential of 1st-person mechanics in PoE.

LOL

Who said it had to have anything to do with PoE?

Now, could we please post words relevant to this topic, or none at all?

No. To both suggestions.

I believe the current viewpoint of the moderation team is that if you don't like what's being posted here, feel free to remove yourself from the offending thread.

Edited by Stun

I had a curiosity question that is mildly related to the topic: apparently the God-like beings are unable to reproduce. In that case, are they entirely divested of their romantic tendencies due to their birthright? Or do they exhibit the normal range of romantic tendencies? I.e. are they Geralt-like (in reference to the protagonist in the Witcher CRPG)?

That is a good question. I wonder if, in the world of PoE, there might be some instance(s) of a brothel-type establishment consisting solely of Godlike employees...

A) Because of the exotic factor, and/or...

B) Because they don't have to worry about birth control and such, as they are sterile

If that's the case, I mean. If they're "Geralt-like," as you put it. :)

LOL

I have absolutely no clue as to how anything you just quoted begged this question. Could you be a little more specific?

Edited by Lephys

Squeakymeister whats your favorite RPG of all time ?

I'm not squeaky, but I'll bite.

Actually I can't name just one, since I've got a list of favorite RPGs and each one takes its turn as my top favorite depending on my mood.

1) Morrowind

2) Baldurs Gate 2

3) Icewind Dale

4) Planescape: Torment.

Currently I'd say BG2, but it's a close call. Planescape would be on top but despite its brilliance it does so. many. things. badly. Ditto with Morrowind. I put Icewind dale on the list mainly due to how it made me feel when it came out. Before Icewind Dale, the only IE game I had played was BG1 which I had replayed about 100 times at that point. I was extremely ready for something new. So here came Icewind dale... a game very much like BG1, except the dungeons were better, the combat was better, the loot was better, and it let you get much higher in levels (that was a big deal for me at the time). Surprizingly, 15 years later, the game managed to also age better than BG1.

Still, BG2 came out a few months later and blew everything away. Forever.

As for Morrowind, I still play it. It's such a huge, and unique game, with such wildly detailed mechanics that have not been duplicated by the industry since.

LOL

I have absolutely no clue as to how anything you just quoted begged this question.

Really? You didn't read my first post on this thread (edit: which you quoted!) where I asked whether I can do a totally non-PoE related topic on the PoE forum without it being locked or moved. Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

Aah, well it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a far more controversial, but totally non-PoE related, subject and do a thread about it here, in order to test your theory out.

The case for Turn-based? :p

This topic is pointless. Seriously do you think that Obsidian change they mind even if they want it too late in this phase of production.

PS. They don't want so just do something constructive, have fun but this is pointless.

I cite the absence of attack misses, for the 37th time. They said no misses, it was discussed, they re-decided on misses (but a lot fewer than in pretty much any other game, ever).

No romances? Great. Maybe some romance, though. Kinda like misses. Not full-length, Bioware-esque arcs and sub-plots, but maybe greater-than-zero romance options/interactions/choices. Maybe just enough of an aspect in the characters' behavior/reactivity to make them not arbitrarily robotic and devoid of emotional attachment.

"Hahahah! NOTHING affects my desire for companionship with another human! NOTHING!"

People have already made the comparison a bunch of times, but that would be just as silly as having no anger in the game, or no philosophy. Which is why I'm pretty sure there won't be "no romance." And I'd like to know what Team Eternity's thoughts are on treating it like they did misses.

If a hedge is in your way, maybe you can prune it, instead of digging it up.

• Like 3

I cite the absence of attack misses, for the 37th time. They said no misses, it was discussed, they re-decided on misses (but a lot fewer than in pretty much any other game, ever).

No romances? Great. Maybe some romance, though. Kinda like misses. Not full-length, Bioware-esque arcs and sub-plots, but maybe greater-than-zero romance options/interactions/choices. Maybe just enough of an aspect in the characters' behavior/reactivity to make them not arbitrarily robotic and devoid of emotional attachment.

"Hahahah! NOTHING affects my desire for companionship with another human! NOTHING!"

People have already made the comparison a bunch of times, but that would be just as silly as having no anger in the game, or no philosophy. Which is why I'm pretty sure there won't be "no romance." And I'd like to know what Team Eternity's thoughts are on treating it like they did misses.

If a hedge is in your way, maybe you can prune it, instead of digging it up.

Are you making a case for romances though, or a case for friendships (to various degrees)? Sounds more like the latter to me.

Can we atleast move it to the Computer section rather than PoE?

Since that was the 'apparent' goal (I'm not really buying it, but sure... let's do)... that should make the argument a lot less heated, more general, etc.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee