Perks/Characters traits

Just a short thread to ask if perks and traits are going to be of a game and if they'll influence dialogues.

By the way, was there any thought for negative perks for the creation of the character? You know, to give him a little more personality and equilibrate the good perks you may also get from the start.

I believe they could really give meaning to dialogues since these would be ours exclusively. Especially if perks can be cumulated for extra-flavored lines in dialogues.

[Smartass] [Obsidian Fanboy] Too much work involved? Nah, as long as there is talent, everything is possible.

Edited by Auxilius

IIRC, there will be talents which are analogues of 3.X/PF feats. No word yet on traits, but the character background may take the place, sort of like Arcanum.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'd love to see negative and positive traits in the game; negatives can be fun for full party creation.

Character backgrounds like Arcanum would be awesome. Those kinds of trade-offs can add a lot of diversity to builds or just add flavor.

Every trait that effects dialogue may represent a large addition to the game development cost because all of those conversation trees need to be written. It's likely much cheaper to implement elements like skill modifiers.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I think Josh remarked on the topic of "negative traits" in another thread in which we were talking heavily about it. I'm gonna go try to hunt it down now, but I seem to recall him saying that they definitely weren't doing isolated negatives/flaws that you can pick from, but that he wasn't against flaws attached to benefits (a la Fallout, sort of).

So, I dunno how prevalent they'll be, but I'd bet we'll see some "this'll make you slower, but you'll also attack harder" type stuff (just to use a simple-yet-not-necessarily-awesome example).

*EDIT*

Found it!:

I like virtue/flaw systems, especially in classless systems.  I could see them working in PoE, but they would be out of scope for this game.  Sorry.

So, yeah... he likes that sort of thing, but apparently independent strengths and flaws don't really fit the rest of PoE's design. So, hopefully we'll still see the detriments attached to benefits in certain perks/traits.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I wonder if it really would cost that much since I believe it would just branch out a little before going back to the main tree.

I hope not at least. It would give that feeling your run is unique.

Possibly, if the only thing it impacted were emergent game play elements like your reputation scores. Branches to the plot line would likely be much more expensive.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I wouldn't mind DLC composed of only backgrounds / traits influenced dialogue trees, if that's too much to pull off on release.

Sounds crazy right? Don't think anyone has ever tried that before.

I know. It won't happen.

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.