O Canada quest bug

Poppernaut

Question

There seems to be a bug in the "O Canada" quest. I went through all the way to the part where after you talk to the Prince you have to go talk to the duke of Winnipeg. After going there he just keeps saying "if I had a dire bear pelt..." And no cut scene happens. I've seen on walk throughs that at this point he should continue the quest to go kill the dire bear that is blocked off but he doesn't. I've tried walking over but the bear is still blocked off. Going back and talking to the prince just has him say that I still haven't talked to the duke and to get out of there. I've gone through the cave and the other towns but the cutscene still won't happen when I go back to the duke.

I've tried loading old saves, leaving the zone, swapping allies after and before loading, dying, taking the Timmy fast travel. I've also created a new game and quit, loaded the old save and still nothing. I'm using the PS3 digital download version with the patch. Just deleted the game and I'm downloading it again to see if that does anything.

Anyone else run I to this or know a fix?

Stands behind the glass counter,not making eye contact...."Worst Post Ever!"

Perhaps I could have phrased my post better, in retrospect I come off a bit testy; that said my question was genuine - I've been trying to answer questions as they come up since this is a player to player support forum and I'm truly at a loss as I can better get out the word that the official support for the game is Ubisoft. 

Since you'd brought up that what has been done is insufficient (or perhaps just easily missed), what would be the best way to get that across to new posters who come here seeking help that the official support is through Ubisoft and this is mostly peer-to-peer with occasionally developers reading for new issues but not always able to respond?

Depending on the way people look for answers,not everybody is going to come accross this disclaimer.For example, when the game i searched 2 cities to find and paid $60+ for

bugged out on me my first thought was "ask google".I proceded to do so and was directed right to the latest post on this thread.Then i figured since Obsidian does not have an official

support department,everybody here might be barking up the wrong tree.Therefore for all we know,this issue was not going to be fixed this way.

As for wishing that obsidian could have made this much more clear to peole,I guess people could just do the research.Maybe They wil stumble upon the same paragraph i found

while i was being so ignorant.

Are you trying to suggest that everybody here should have understood that there was a disclaimer,and should never have expected this issue to be resolved through these channels,

after reassuring people that the problem is being worked on?

Working on this "as fast as humanly possible" is a lie because it does not take weeks on end to either remove the Mountie from being in the way or write a patch that fixed it.

Not only the time to "write a patch" has to be factored into it, but they also have to QA the patch to make sure whatever fix they put in doesn't break something else in the game (how pissed off would you be for them to release a patch removing the Mountie only to have the patch also - inexplicably - create a new game breaking bug 10 minutes of game play later?)

Given that they're probably trying to fix as many of the big bugs as they can, they're probably doing a lot of fixes and QA over the last few weeks.

Are you trying to suggest that everybody here should have understood that there was a disclaimer,and should never have expected this issue to be resolved through these channels,

No, I'm asking you what I, as someone who has been trying to help people on the forum in whatever limited way I can (which includes the post of mine you quoted below), how can I help make posters more aware of the information that ubisoft is the official customer support point and that while the developers have posted and do read this board they're not in a position to address every concern raised?

I ask because a lot of people seemed to be angry that Obsidian isn't responding to customer service issues when this isn't the customer support forum and I'm at a loss as to how better to help people who come here.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

They are laughing at as? where in the world the client is so not taken serious? I paid 60$ to play and finish a game not to test it.

After a mounth i´m not getting anything, no dates, no money back, no compensation, THE GAME IS BROKEN!!! and you bastards don´t give a F+*ck.

I feel so fu+^¨Çng cheated by this people, Obsidian should be so ashamed and should try to clean their name because this is getting too far i´m going too mad and i hate it.

CHEATERS

The 03 Patch addressing the O Canada bug was released April 08 for PC -  http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/65338-patch-notes/

I haven't read any updates yet on consoles other than the 03 Patch is forthcoming on those platforms (they say "The patch is in testing at Ubisoft and will become available on the consoles soon.")

As Ubisoft is in charge of customer support, you might be better off working with them if your goal is your money back (not that I think you'll be successful, they'll probably just say "wait for the patch" or something).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

well this is going to be a while, given their new prototype binary paper airplane patch delivery system.  I think PSN and XBLA have to make a few adjustments as well to accommodate.  probably some kind of peripheral we may have to buy.  of course costing at least 59.99 and not working for the first month of ownership. 

No, I'm asking you what I, as someone who has been trying to help people on the forum in whatever limited way I can (which includes the post of mine you quoted below), how can I help make posters more aware of the information that ubisoft is the official customer support point and that while the developers have posted and do read this board they're not in a position to address every concern raised?

I ask because a lot of people seemed to be angry that Obsidian isn't responding to customer service issues when this isn't the customer support forum and I'm at a loss as to how better to help people who come here.

My original question should have been more clear...my bad.

ehem...Wouldnt it have been better if somebody who WORKS for Obsidian,and KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING make it more clear to us?

Created an account to add to the growing list of PS3 players boned by this bug. It's been roughly a month since I've encountered the bug, and still no patch.

I would've sold the game by now but I was a sucker and bought it off the PSN.

I used to be a huge fan of Obsidian and their games, however, after this debacle, I'll never support this company again.

I hope Curt Schilling buys the company and runs these ass clowns into the ground.

Also, after reading this entire thread, that Arch-Mage guy is either a paid shill, or a grade-A toolbag. I've never seen such blind support for a company who put out a broken product. I hope all the time spent in front of his computer gives him ocular-AIDS.

My original question should have been more clear...my bad.

ehem...Wouldnt it have been better if somebody who WORKS for Obsidian,and KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING make it more clear to us?

I do see the devs posting from time to time - its still done on their personal time.

And IMO, they have been attacked a lot when they do post about things they can't control (particularly things that are part of official customer support - held over at Ubisoft), which may limit their eagerness to respond (that's totally my own assessment - I have no "secret" knowledge of the situation).

Also, after reading this entire thread, that Arch-Mage guy is either a paid shill, or a grade-A toolbag. I've never seen such blind support for a company who put out a broken product. I hope all the time spent in front of his computer gives him ocular-AIDS.

Meee-ow. :cat:

I am - for one - grateful that this forum existed.  Its because this forum exists and because the early posters pointed out bugs that I knew how NOT to trigger the O Canada Quest Bug, and because of that I want to help out here when I have time.

Obsidian has a reputation for good but buggy games; this release sure isn't going to change that.  But I'm also not a big fan of just letting bull**** slide once someone has thrown it up on the wall, either.  And some of the stuff posted here has been positively asinine, IMO.  Things like the claim that patches didn't need testing and could be posted the same day without any kind of approval process.

That said, you may think my posts are asinine too - that's your prerogative.  There's an ignore option if you want to put me on it so you never have to read my comments (unless someone quotes me) if you think there is no value in my posts.

Edited by Amentep

Isn't the whole point of **** measuring to have "more" not "less"? :shifty:

Seems a counter-intuitive suggestion...  :lol:

My game at home updated last night, which means patch is live on PS3 in US.

I'd imagine other platforms should be following shortly as well (read: I don't have official release times, but they should be live or coming live soon). The fix was retroactive, so your broken saves at this location should be fixed. 

https://twitter.com/IridiumGameDev

Ex-Obsidian Senior Programmer

Still no patch in the UK... can't continue with game I paid good money for.

Those involved should hang their heads in shame it's taken this long.... but I doubt they will, they've got my cash, what else do they care about? Do they not understand how frustrating this is..?

Will just not buy any more games from them them in the future... bastards!

Am in the Netherlands, and still no patch/update even though it has been well over a week since the U.S. got the patch.  They do realize that this game was available in other regions, right?  Why do I get the feeling that these people simply don't want to be bothered by these annoying pesky "customer people"? 

if you hacks will not release things on time, can you at least give us a timeline so we can adjust our disdain for you accordingly?  And don't worry, this is the last game I am ever purchasing from you.  So do this last thing and I will stop bothering you.

I promise.

I'd assume that since customer support is controlled by Ubisoft that when/where/how to release the patch is with them as well. The Patch Notes certainly imply it with the stuff about Ubi testing the patches for approval to release on consoles.

I still haven't seen confirmation the 03 patch is out in the US on the X-Box (its been confirmed on PS3 and PC) much less any international releases.

Create an american profile for playstation network and launch the game from that profile. Check on google the steps to follow to do the account. That is also the way you can buy the game in EU without censore.

Finally i finished the game!