O Canada quest bug

Poppernaut

Question

There seems to be a bug in the "O Canada" quest. I went through all the way to the part where after you talk to the Prince you have to go talk to the duke of Winnipeg. After going there he just keeps saying "if I had a dire bear pelt..." And no cut scene happens. I've seen on walk throughs that at this point he should continue the quest to go kill the dire bear that is blocked off but he doesn't. I've tried walking over but the bear is still blocked off. Going back and talking to the prince just has him say that I still haven't talked to the duke and to get out of there. I've gone through the cave and the other towns but the cutscene still won't happen when I go back to the duke.

I've tried loading old saves, leaving the zone, swapping allies after and before loading, dying, taking the Timmy fast travel. I've also created a new game and quit, loaded the old save and still nothing. I'm using the PS3 digital download version with the patch. Just deleted the game and I'm downloading it again to see if that does anything.

Anyone else run I to this or know a fix?

ok, devs have to work on patches for games on their own time?  was this just said to make us feel bad for you?  or are game dev companies really that greedy that they dont LET their employees proactively support already released "unfinished" products?  I dont know whats more ****ed up, the fact it has been 3 weeks or the fact your not even allowed to work on it.  sorry your just gears in the machine that is obsidian developers, but obsidian will not be getting any more money from me with that knowledge.  thanks for the insight on ****ty business ethics. glad to know they support their own products over producing new broken **** to not support in the future.

That's not what he's saying, what he's saying is that this support forum is for customer-to-customer support and that he's here trying to help posters on his own time. 

From the FAQ - http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/65296-support-faq-please-read-before-posting/ -

If you’d like to reach someone in customer support, please visit Ubisoft’s Support Center. Ubisoft manages customer service and technical support for The Stick of Truth. Obsidian is providing a FAQ below based on information we receive here on our forums and social networks, but does not have a dedicated support team. Direct support is provided by Ubisoft.

Since the official support for the game is being handled by ubisoft, while he is officially working on fixes with whatever fix team is at Obsidian looking at the bugs, anything here is peer-to-peer or a Obsidian employee helping in their spare time.

Hmmmk...

Remember when Naughty Dog released The Last of Us. They had a problem with the saved game files and released a fix the day the game was launched and fixed it right away.

You know why they did that on release day instead of waiting a few weeks to release a patch with more problems fixed?

Because it was a Game Breaking Bug...

The save problem for Naughty Dog's THE LAST OF US involved their server, which they changed rather than patching the game, according to what I read about it.  I'd imagine that made a rather big difference.

The team at Naughty Dog has been diligently investigating as soon as we heard from our community, and we have determined the cause to be on servers for The Last of Us which were capturing player statistics. We have made a change to ours to address this issue.

From http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/14/serious-auto-save-problems-plague-the-last-of-us

Yup the difference was 4-6 hours delay vs 504 hours (21 days)  with no result, not even a "we know what is causing the bug"... nothing at all... :bat:  :aiee:

Anyway, dependless of what I'm saying and what you're saying, at the end, the gamers we are will remember this situation each an every time we will see Obsidian on a game cover...

By the way Amentep, you can't defend this kind of behavior unless you work for Obsidian (2832 post on the obsidian forum, hard to beleive you're not)

Edited by chooblang

Yup the difference was 4-6 hours delay vs 504 hours (21 days)  with no result, not even a "we know what is causing the bug"... nothing at all... :bat:  :aiee:

4-6 hour delay to fix a problem on their server that did not require them to release a patch on PSN, get sony's approval or to change the game that would require testing of the game to make sure it didn't break something else.

Regarding the "no result", J. Burke (or one of the other devs) posted that they identified what the problem is, there will be a fix in the patch and that the patch will fix existing "old" saves so it won't require restarting.

They just don't know when the patch will be released since it has to be tested and approved (presumably by Ubisoft, Steam, Sony, Microsoft - but that's an assumption on my part)

Anyway, dependless of what I'm saying and what you're saying, at the end, the gamers we are will remember this situation each an every time we will see Obsidian on a game cover...

Probably, which is sad because its a good game if the bugs are fixed and it doesn't help Obsidian's reputation for good but buggy releases (KotOR 2, somewhat undeservedly for Alpha Protocol), despite the amount of time they spent trying to work on that end of their production.

By the way Amentep, you can't defend this kind of behavior unless you work for Obsidian (2832 post on the obsidian forum, hard to beleive you're not)

Eh...its my tenth year here (I joined Feb 2004) so I'm averaging...283 posts a year roughly? (I actually post more as of late; there were a few years I just lurked here). I came over after I'd heard the company was founded, having been a fan of the late, lamented Black Isle Studios.

So...I'm a fan, not an employee...unless you count having met Josh Sawyer and Chris Avelone once at a convention. :)

And I hope I haven't discounted your frustration; since this is a peer-to-peer support forum I'm trying to be helpful, and since not everyone has read every post (such as the post discussing that the patch needed testing and approval, or the post about the planed fix for O Canada Bug being compatible with old saves), I'm trying to help spread information.

But I also feel that there is some disinformation that perhaps needs to be challenged as well (but that my be the apologist/fan in me, sorry if it grates on your nerves).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As Kyle would say "But you know... I learned something today..."

*cue episode ending monologue music*

Bad stuff happens to everyone folks. Welcome to the real world. I highly doubt that Obsidian is sitting around praying for you to lose your save or run into a game breaking bug. I, for one, am grateful that if something is released with an issue, we can just get a download that fixes it, for free, in seconds. Things haven't always been like that.

They definitely screwed up, but thats life. Just learn your lesson and move on to one of the millions of other gaming options because you're lucky to live in a time where there are so many video games that you will never play them all.

Everyone makes a bad investment here and there, sorry that you did. This game is broken. Well, technically you could just start over and try it again (there are actually games out there that require you to start over when you screw up. *GASP*)

So go play something else until it's fixed, instead of making idle threats on a meaningless forum. A couple of years down the line, they're gonna put out another game that rules just like this one does, it really does. By then you'll have forgotten all about this. And even if that one is released with a problem, guess what? You can just go play something else instead! 

So, be thankful that you invested $60 on a video game, that you can still play at any time, that was also pretty cool, albeit slightly broken. $60 can also buy you a syphilitic hooker, or an ACTUAL plane ticket to Canada (you dodged a bullet there!), or a Justin Beiber concert ticket. All I can say is congrats! If you didn't also spend your money on these things as well, you're still doin' fine!

Oh and Developers, please PM me when you guys get the patch out, since you've probably been scared off by all the J Beib fans.

Almost a month has passed and still a lot of people who payed for your damn game is unable to play it! WTF obsidian?! I thought a week was bad, little did I know you just don't give enough of a damn to actually fix the issue after a month. This must be the longest a game breaking bug has ever remained unfixed.

Again, FIX YOUR GAME!

You could keep a copy of your existing save so that when the patch comes back you can finish the game with that character/class, then restart the game with a new character, pick a different class and go on. The O Canada bug is pretty easy to miss if you know about it before hand.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So, be thankful that you invested $60 on a video game, that you can still play at any time, that was also pretty cool, albeit slightly broken. $60 can also buy you a syphilitic hooker, or an ACTUAL plane ticket to Canada (you dodged a bullet there!), or a Justin Beiber concert ticket. All I can say is congrats! If you didn't also spend your money on these things as well, you're still doin' fine!

The point is, its not "slightly" broken. Its a game breaker. So no, I can't play it at any time, unless I want to replay hours of material that, great as it is, doesn't exactly have much of a reason to replay if you've done the sidequests the first time around.

As far as other gaming options out there, had I'd known this would happen, then sure I'd look elsewhere. Instead I'm out $60 that could've been used on another choice. As it stand I'm stuck with an unusable product because I can't just go spending $60 any time I want. Best I'm gonna get is a $15 trade in, when a full refund is in order in my opinion.

Thing is I could be patient if they would just give us some sort of ETA for the fix as opposed to generic statements and promises devoid of any actual detail. Maybe they are scared to say because its going to take another month? Who knows? But an ETA would restore some faith and /or help those of us on the fence decide to trade in or not.

• Like 1

I come here quite regularly hoping to see some sort of progress report on the patch, but the developers responses seem to be few and far between. I may know absolutely nothing about building a patch, but their last patch is getting close to being a month old, literally the day after the release date. The last response from a developer on this thread was five days ago and held no information on how long until they release the patch. I have friends who have already beaten the game and I can't talk to them about it. I spent several days to get to Canada only to be so close to the end and never make it. 

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  

I bought this game two weeks ago via PSN in the Netherlands for 60 euro, only to get to Winnipeg to experience the bug that everyone else here is writing about.   Had I known that Obsidian would have the audacity to release this faulty of a product, I would not have even bothered to drop close to 85 USD on it.  And now I see that this issue was brough to light a month ago, and nothing has been done to address it!!??? Developer(s):  I don't care about you "trying"  or asking us "be patient".  Fix your product from which you charged money to the unknowing public for, or let us know that you cannot and simply compensate us for what was our wasted money and time.

If I wanted bad service, I would just keep shopping in NL. 

Just so you know, I have told no less than half a dozen people to absolutely not purchase this game due to this issue, and one local publication here in NL.  Rest assured that I won't make the mistake of ever purchasing one of your products again.  It is absolutely my fault for assuming that you were professionals who knew what they were doing.  My bad.

yep, done.  sold.  I have friends that work for ubisoft "assassins creed"  and ive been informed and assured it doesnt take NEARLY this long to run a patch by all the PSN/XBLA rules, procedures and regulations.  even patching multiple things, maybe you should have tested the game first? maybe you shouldnt have SO MANY different issues to patch?  rookie mistake from a veteran company.  good day obsidian, i will spend my hard earned money else ware "and the money i got back for your game, that btw upon second sale you make no profit from"  :down:

I have this same issue.I already started and finished a new game.I had a look at the Obsidian support link and this is what it said:

How Do I Contact You for Support?

Oddly enough, Obsidian Entertainment doesn't have a support department, at least not in the traditional sense! For all of the games we've worked on so far, we've been contracted by other companies called publishers who actually own the games and finance their creation. As part of our contracts between them, we handle designing and developing the game, while they handle almost all of the other parts of getting a game too you; testing, marketing, manufacturing, and managing support after the game is released.

If you have a question for us that the above resources couldn't help with, contact us at support@obsidian.net.

It would have been nice if somebody who works here told us this wouldnt it?

This whole time we should have been complaining to Ubisoft.

Obsidian Team,

You guys have done a top notch job producing a reeeeealy fun and creative game. And everyone on this board understands that producing a game is extremely challenging, and it is not uncommon for software to have glitches.

What would be very helpful is to receive status updates that help us understand where you at with fixing this issue. (E.g. "We have found the issue and are bundling it with a patch we expect to release in mid April." "We're having trouble getting a clean fix with this issue, but we're making progress. Next update in 2 days." "The patch has been submitted to PSN and we're awaiting next steps.") Communication is key here.

So, with this said, where are we at? :)

Thanks,

Chris

As i have said plenty of times, I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!

Loyal gamers who spend 60$ in a game are not game testers, the guy waiting for the price to drop will have a much better game experience compare to us.

If there is no money back at least some kind of compensation. This is so F*%>!ng unfair, we have been waiting too long...

It had been a month. Wow, a whole month and you still haven't fixed your damn product so it's actually possible for your players to use it.

Obsidian are the least serious devs I have ever encountered! First and last game I will ever buy from you guys, and I'll encourage others to steer clear aswell.

:facepalm:  :aiee:

Edited by Zighrath

I have this same issue.I already started and finished a new game.I had a look at the Obsidian support link and this is what it said:

Oddly enough, Obsidian Entertainment doesn't have a support department, at least not in the traditional sense! For all of the games we've worked on so far, we've been contracted by other companies called publishers who actually own the games and finance their creation. As part of our contracts between them, we handle designing and developing the game, while they handle almost all of the other parts of getting a game too you; testing, marketing, manufacturing, and managing support after the game is released.

If you have a question for us that the above resources couldn't help with, contact us at support@obsidian.net.

It would have been nice for someone from Obsidian to tell you about it? 

It is in the Support FAQ please read before posting thread.  It states: "If you’d like to reach someone in customer support, please visit Ubisoft’s Support Center. Ubisoft manages customer service and technical support for The Stick of Truth. Obsidian is providing a FAQ below based on information we receive here on our forums and social networks, but does not have a dedicated support team. Direct support is provided by Ubisoft."

They also included it in the description of the forum like " SOUTH PARK: TECHNICAL SUPPORT (SPOILER WARNING!)

Having a problem with South Park: The Stick of Truth? This forum is for customers to assist each other with technical questions. If you need official game support, please visit Ubisoft at http://support.ubi.com."

J.Burke when he was coming here responded with the information as well several times even despite the information being posted.

What else did you want them to do?

Edited by Amentep

so tell me, would talking to some random person on tech support magically patch my game?  this isnt a "i dont know how to install a game on my PC/have the wrong drivers issue"  this is a console issue predominantly.  So not to be rude but that information does not help in any way what so ever, if anything it seems like a "your problem now" torch pass so ubisoft can help take some of the heat.  This is obsidian's problem, let them figure their own **** out.  I dont give 2 ****s anymore as Its already probably the next guys problem that bought my used game from GS, but the point still remains valid that all people wanna see at this point is results.  nothing else. 

And that's fair enough; I don't think at this point there is anyone who doesn't want to see a patch.

But the complaint I was responding to was the "Why didn't anyone tell me Ubisoft was the official customer support place to go?" not "Why isn't the patch out". I don't know why its not out, but since I've been trying to help on this forum, I am at a loss as to answer the former question and am inable to answer the latter (which only Obs and Ubi can do).

Good news - http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/65338-patch-notes/

Fixed an issue where the dire bear quest may not properly advance in Canada.

According to the notes the 03 Patch is up at STEAM and will be available for consoles soon.

It would have been nice for someone from Obsidian to tell you about it? 

It is in the Support FAQ please read before posting thread.  It states: "If you’d like to reach someone in customer support, please visit Ubisoft’s Support Center. Ubisoft manages customer service and technical support for The Stick of Truth. Obsidian is providing a FAQ below based on information we receive here on our forums and social networks, but does not have a dedicated support team. Direct support is provided by Ubisoft."

They also included it in the description of the forum like " SOUTH PARK: TECHNICAL SUPPORT (SPOILER WARNING!)

Having a problem with South Park: The Stick of Truth? This forum is for customers to assist each other with technical questions. If you need official game support, please visit Ubisoft at http://support.ubi.com."

J.Burke when he was coming here responded with the information as well several times even despite the information being posted.

What else did you want them to do?

Stands behind the glass counter,not making eye contact...."Worst Post Ever!"

Stands behind the glass counter,not making eye contact...."Worst Post Ever!"

Perhaps I could have phrased my post better, in retrospect I come off a bit testy; that said my question was genuine - I've been trying to answer questions as they come up since this is a player to player support forum and I'm truly at a loss as I can better get out the word that the official support for the game is Ubisoft. 

Since you'd brought up that what has been done is insufficient (or perhaps just easily missed), what would be the best way to get that across to new posters who come here seeking help that the official support is through Ubisoft and this is mostly peer-to-peer with occasionally developers reading for new issues but not always able to respond?

so we can expect the console version of the patch at least in the next 4-6 weeks right?  they must be sending it to PSN via printed out TXT files sent by mail using USPS. 

or better yet, writing each 1 and 0 on a sheet of paper, then folding it up into a paper airplane
woosh, come on, make it! aww, it fell. gotta resend the whole patch!

Edited by chii370
  • Like 1