O Canada quest bug

Poppernaut

Question

There seems to be a bug in the "O Canada" quest. I went through all the way to the part where after you talk to the Prince you have to go talk to the duke of Winnipeg. After going there he just keeps saying "if I had a dire bear pelt..." And no cut scene happens. I've seen on walk throughs that at this point he should continue the quest to go kill the dire bear that is blocked off but he doesn't. I've tried walking over but the bear is still blocked off. Going back and talking to the prince just has him say that I still haven't talked to the duke and to get out of there. I've gone through the cave and the other towns but the cutscene still won't happen when I go back to the duke.

I've tried loading old saves, leaving the zone, swapping allies after and before loading, dying, taking the Timmy fast travel. I've also created a new game and quit, loaded the old save and still nothing. I'm using the PS3 digital download version with the patch. Just deleted the game and I'm downloading it again to see if that does anything.

Anyone else run I to this or know a fix?

Don't worry guys we hear you and are working on it.  Unfortunately these things take time so I just ask that you please be patient.

I think it would be a lot easier to be patient if you could tell us what exactly is so time consuming on fixing a broken quest. Is your quest engine buried in such chaos that you cant simply set flags to handle quest related items? What about the solutions suggested here in the forum, a npc whos main purpose is to help those who suffer from the bug? Those things dont take much time and will calm down the people since they will be able to continue with the game.

The first report on this issue (the OP) is from the 6th of march. Now 20 days later you still tell us its being worked on and you ask us to be patient. Most of us paid 60$ just for a couple of hours till the game breaking bug appears and we are still waiting for you to fix this.

Dont get me wrong but its not you who can demand some patience from us, it is us who can demand what we paid for!

This is EA style ;)

Don't worry guys we hear you and are working on it.  Unfortunately these things take time so I just ask that you please be patient.

I think it would be a lot easier to be patient if you could tell us what exactly is so time consuming on fixing a broken quest. Is your quest engine buried in such chaos that you cant simply set flags to handle quest related items? What about the solutions suggested here in the forum, a npc whos main purpose is to help those who suffer from the bug? Those things dont take much time and will calm down the people since they will be able to continue with the game.

The first report on this issue (the OP) is from the 6th of march. Now 20 days later you still tell us its being worked on and you ask us to be patient. Most of us paid 60$ just for a couple of hours till the game breaking bug appears and we are still waiting for you to fix this.

Dont get me wrong but its not you who can demand some patience from us, it is us who can demand what we paid for!

This is EA style ;)

I'm pretty sure they've said in other threads (if not this one) that the patches have to go through QA and then approval for release via PSN/whatever Xbox's network is. (using your example, introducing an NPC who can get you around the bug might create other problems in the game and would have to be tested to make sure the fix isn't introducing a new game breaking bug)

They're probably also not releasing 1 patch for every bug, but are probably working on a big patch to hit a lot of the most common bugs being reported.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Oh well that's it for me. After almost 3 weeks of waiting for Obsidian to fix a broken quest with obviously no result, I'm going to sell my copy to E-B games and never buy an Obsidian game again. It's the second game from them that I bought and had a broken quest preventing me to keep going on. The first one was Knight of the old republic 2 (KOTOR2) on the first X-Box.

Seriously disapointed... again...

• Like 1

I too have had it after 3 weeks unable to play.

Will see what I can claw back via marketplace.

I have a feeling this is more than likely down to Ubisoft pushing the games release out before it was truly ready but unfortunately this has really tainted the name of Obsidian and what should have been a great game.

Disgusted is all I can say.

Ok Mr DEVELOPERS.

Don´t thank for my pacience because i just lost it all. Playstation network does not allow me to give the game back. 

They say is your problem to fix this, as an unhappy costumer i have the right to get my money back since i paid for something that is not working, being honest, even if you guys fix it, i don´t want to keep on playing this game, i lost all my interest.

Do you think this is fair? Do you think that by saying every two weeks that you are working on it we just have to accept? i don´t think so.

THIS IS BULL****!!!

If we don´t get a good deal for this, next monday im starting to contact all my friends working on videogame magazines and websites. to explain this, because is well hidden on the website and maybe is time to show everybody what is going on with this game you cheated us with.

From another thread:

The Canada issue should actually be a retroactive fix as well, so if you still have your old saves, they should be fixed once patch is relased. Please be patient, as the release process for patching on consoles can be lengthy. 

• Like 1

I registered on this site to add my voice to those others who have been unable to play the game because of this bug (two weeks for me now).  While it's understandable that common practice is to release updates with many fixes in them, it should be painfully obvious from this thread that your community would appreciate an update to fix this single issue.  Updates contain multiple fixes when they are usually small,  but when a game-breaking bug like this is found,  consumers will take notice at a heightened level.  Please consider releasing a patch to fix just this issue!  Thank you.

^I understand your frustration, but even releasing one fix in a patch they'd have to QA it then get it approved for release on the various platforms which means it wouldn't be an immediate fix.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

^I understand your frustration, but even releasing one fix in a patch they'd have to QA it then get it approved for release on the various platforms which means it wouldn't be an immediate fix.

^agreed.  but it would still be faster than the three weeks they've taken so far!  ;)

Well...maybe.

Depends on how they have to test the fix to ensure that it doesn't introduce other bugs, I'd think.

if they have to, lets say, test a series of key game points over the course of a game using each of the classes (to make sure that a class specific bug hasn't been introduced) and those points are the same whether they are testing one fix or 100 fixes, then there really is no time savings.

If they have less points to test to make sure one fix doesn't break the game elsewhere and many more points with every fix added than sure it would be faster.

I'm under the impression its the former, not the later, but not being a game developer I can't say that for certain!

ok, devs have to work on patches for games on their own time?  was this just said to make us feel bad for you?  or are game dev companies really that greedy that they dont LET their employees proactively support already released "unfinished" products?  I dont know whats more ****ed up, the fact it has been 3 weeks or the fact your not even allowed to work on it.  sorry your just gears in the machine that is obsidian developers, but obsidian will not be getting any more money from me with that knowledge.  thanks for the insight on ****ty business ethics. glad to know they support their own products over producing new broken **** to not support in the future.

Hmmmk...

Remember when Naughty Dog released The Last of Us. They had a problem with the saved game files and released a fix the day the game was launched and fixed it right away.

You know why they did that on release day instead of waiting a few weeks to release a patch with more problems fixed?

Because it was a Game Breaking Bug...

I just played through the final installment of Bioshock Infinite (without incident). What's funny though is in the back of my mind the whole time I was thinking I sure hope I don't do something out of order and crash the game. I never had a concern like that prior to South Park, now it's probably something I'll think about every time I play a new game. You guys made a broken game a ripped off countless amounts of people. Have to work on it on your own time? If I was involved and knew how many people I screwed over my morality would keep me up at night until I had it fixed. The way this has been handled is absolutely shocking to me.

I think alot of us just want more of an assurance than "we're working on it". It'd be easier to have patience if we had some elaboration, and especially an ETA for a possible fix. But for all we know our game could be collecting dust for another month.

I know we'll never get a full refund, but some sort of compensation for selling a faulty product, resulting in such a lengthy fix should be strongly considered here. Even a PSN or XBOX Live credit of some sort would go a long way towards good faith for customers. There are a lot of other games I could have put my $ towards that I'd actually be playing right now.

I've also tried to bringvthis to the attention of a few reputable online gaming sites, as I feel more awareness is needed of this issue. I urge others to do the same. People thinking about buying the game need to know what they are paying for. As it is, I had to do some serious googling to even find this thread. Think about the audience a blurb about this on IGN could reach...perhaps it would create urgency and incentive for some form of compensation.

ok, devs have to work on patches for games on their own time?  was this just said to make us feel bad for you?  or are game dev companies really that greedy that they dont LET their employees proactively support already released "unfinished" products?  I dont know whats more ****ed up, the fact it has been 3 weeks or the fact your not even allowed to work on it.  sorry your just gears in the machine that is obsidian developers, but obsidian will not be getting any more money from me with that knowledge.  thanks for the insight on ****ty business ethics. glad to know they support their own products over producing new broken **** to not support in the future.

That's not what he's saying, what he's saying is that this support forum is for customer-to-customer support and that he's here trying to help posters on his own time. 

From the FAQ - http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/65296-support-faq-please-read-before-posting/ -

If you’d like to reach someone in customer support, please visit Ubisoft’s Support Center. Ubisoft manages customer service and technical support for The Stick of Truth. Obsidian is providing a FAQ below based on information we receive here on our forums and social networks, but does not have a dedicated support team. Direct support is provided by Ubisoft.

Since the official support for the game is being handled by ubisoft, while he is officially working on fixes with whatever fix team is at Obsidian looking at the bugs, anything here is peer-to-peer or a Obsidian employee helping in their spare time.

Hmmmk...

Remember when Naughty Dog released The Last of Us. They had a problem with the saved game files and released a fix the day the game was launched and fixed it right away.

You know why they did that on release day instead of waiting a few weeks to release a patch with more problems fixed?

Because it was a Game Breaking Bug...

The save problem for Naughty Dog's THE LAST OF US involved their server, which they changed rather than patching the game, according to what I read about it.  I'd imagine that made a rather big difference.

The team at Naughty Dog has been diligently investigating as soon as we heard from our community, and we have determined the cause to be on servers for The Last of Us which were capturing player statistics. We have made a change to ours to address this issue.

From http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/14/serious-auto-save-problems-plague-the-last-of-us

Edited by Amentep

From another thread:

The Canada issue should actually be a retroactive fix as well, so if you still have your old saves, they should be fixed once patch is relased. Please be patient, as the release process for patching on consoles can be lengthy.

Several people have mentioned that they have passed the point where reloading an old save will solve the error so you must take this into consideration.

From another thread:

Several people have mentioned that they have passed the point where reloading an old save will solve the error so you must take this into consideration.

I think - and may be wrong - is that it will work with any save that still exists in the bug state when the patch is applied. 

I'm assuming (yeah I know) that by "old save" he's thinking people might start up a new game, which will write over the autosaves (but not the manual save files).