O Canada quest bug

Poppernaut

Question

There seems to be a bug in the "O Canada" quest. I went through all the way to the part where after you talk to the Prince you have to go talk to the duke of Winnipeg. After going there he just keeps saying "if I had a dire bear pelt..." And no cut scene happens. I've seen on walk throughs that at this point he should continue the quest to go kill the dire bear that is blocked off but he doesn't. I've tried walking over but the bear is still blocked off. Going back and talking to the prince just has him say that I still haven't talked to the duke and to get out of there. I've gone through the cave and the other towns but the cutscene still won't happen when I go back to the duke.

I've tried loading old saves, leaving the zone, swapping allies after and before loading, dying, taking the Timmy fast travel. I've also created a new game and quit, loaded the old save and still nothing. I'm using the PS3 digital download version with the patch. Just deleted the game and I'm downloading it again to see if that does anything.

Anyone else run I to this or know a fix?

I think you should be taking this much more seriously devs. The ideas above seem like they would work however rhe last post says that even after defeating the bears he has issues with that dire robes guy so im worried whatever u do will still leave us in limbo.

I love south park. I love your game. This is unacceptable unprofessional behaviour to release what seems to be a game not tested 100% correctly. Please hurry and resolve this before my disc becomes a very nice trade in or I sell it.

I am having the same issue.  Can't use autosaves since i went on to other side quests.  

PS3, downloaded, Patched.

I hope you get it fixed soon!  I'm done with everything else and maxed out my lvl 15 already.

Thanks Devs!!!!

Ok, more days have elapsed and not any further information from the developers. Not even so much as a even brief explanation of what is being done to address the problem. Obviously there is almost no sense of urgency to repair this game as the developers don't even have time to give us where they are at in the repair process. I hope you guys made a lot of money. You'll never get any more of mine.

Ps3 disc copy after patch

Experiencing the same problem. I also work in software development and understand the time it takes to put together a patch but I agree with some of the people on here on getting at the minimum an ETA on when to expect the patch. 

I finished the hunting quest post glitch which didn't solve the problem. Fantastic game up until this point.

I spent $60 so that I could play the game early. I did not spend $60 to play a beta version. It has been a very long time and there is not a fix yet. When GTA V had a much bigger game-stopping bug, Rockstar fixed it in two days. PSN had a spend $60 and get $10 back promotion and everybody who bought this game early missed out on that. I think we are all entitled to a working game, and some sort of compensation.

• Like 2

I'm having exactly the same problem. PS3, downloaded from PSN, patched before playing.

I first encountered this bug over a week ago, and as there's been no fix I've completely stopped playing the game.

Way to kill the momentum of your new release.

• Like 1

I just signed up to these forums so I could enlist my name to people who are affected.

I bought the game 4 days ago for 60$ via PSN. I downloaded the game and it auto patched before I could play it. I also talked to the mounties and the girl in town first before approaching the earl of winnipeg and the cutscene doesnt trigger and he keeps saying the same line over and over again.

Now dont get me wrong...I really enjoyed this game...it was awesome in all ways and its been a long time a game pulled me in like that...at least up to that point which really makes me (and obviously other players as well) change mind 180 degree. If youre done with all side quests and have nothing else to do than you are left with a game which is unplayable for 60$.

I also find it kinda pathetic that the OP is from the 6th of march and till now nothing (and the Rock means NOTHING) has happened to fix this. I read through suggestions here and the people came up with solutions already that could provide a quick fix and would as well fit into the game. How hard can it actually be to fix a broken quest/npc. In most cases theres just a flag set to 0 while it should be 1 and even if the problem was a bit more difficult you could come up with a way to skip things like suggested a couple of posts before me a la "your game is glitched? welcome to canada! just talk to me!"

Up to this point the game was awesome...after this bug and considering the speed of obsidian fixing this all that is left is pathetic.

I also strongly agree with mhrzitqs and would welcome some sort of compensation. Selling a product which is just using space on your hard disk but does nothing else at the moment for 60$ feels a lot like a ripoff. In the future when a game is made by obsidian we should consider buying it after one year for half the price and with major bugs fixed. In the end its our fault spending full price on a title and expect it to be working ;)

• Like 4

Exact same thing here. It's a very big issue. I bought the game via PSN (Fr) three weeks ago and I was only able to play it for a few hours, until i got to Canada. now i'm just waiting for a fix. I don't even feel like finishing the other quests. Too disappointed.

I liked the game at first, it was pretty good, but now when people ask me if they should buy it I have to say no.

• Like 2

I'm having the same glitch with Earl of  Winnipeg. He just talks about wanting direr bear robes. I don't get the cutscene and now I can't continue the game. This glitch should be fixed by now.

• Like 1

I only signed up to these forums to add my name to the many, many affected players of this game. More people beyond this thread are affected if you simply do a google search for South Park Stick of Truth O Canada bug. I have the PS3 disc version. I downloaded the patch before I began playing. I am having the same exact issues: stupid Earl of Winnipeg going on about dire bears and dire robes and the Mountie won't let me get to the bears. I, too, explored the map both outside the city of Winnipeg and within it before approaching the Earl. I'm so very disappointed not to be able to play anymore. I have already completed all the side quests and have no missions to do, whatsoever, besides this one thus rendering my game useless. I am considering returning it to GameStop as I got a warranty on it. I realize it's not the disc that is the problem, however, the game is absolutely rendered USELESS by this game breaking bug. Working on this "as fast as humanly possible" is a lie because it does not take weeks on end to either remove the Mountie from being in the way or write a patch that fixed it. As a company, game breaking bugs should be explored and fixed before a launch. Loyal fans understand patches for simple problems or glitches that can cause a crash or something along those lines but to not be able to play at all when I've only owned the game for a week or two is absurd.

• Like 3

I just wanted to throw my name in for another player that is experiencing this proble. PS3 Disc version, after doing every other side mission possible and have been waiting 2 weeks for a fix. I am just going to trade my game in. This is unexceptable and I will be thinking twice about buying another game from you guys.

• Like 1

Huge South Park fan, I've been wanting for this game ever since it was announce. I bought this game with the hopes of completing it before infamous came out. 20 days later I rewatch A bunch of seasons of South Park (since I

can't finish the game)and I beat infamous twice already. I'm really thinking about selling/trading this game soon if nothing changes.

A week has passed now since the last promise from the devs. As far as I can tell the bug has been reported as far back as March 6th, and still no fix.

At this point I feel like some sort of refund or compensation is in order. I supported your company by pre-ordering and buying the game at launch, and you guys can't even elaborate on what is being dine aside from. "we 're working on it we swear we're super cereal right now"

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that I wrote to Playstation support, asking if there was a way to get a refund. I don't think there is, but at least they might hear about the issue and do something about it if several people write to them. Xbox players should do the same. Both Sony and Microsoft are responsible for distributing a game that obviously did not have a proper debugging phase.

I will keep you informed if there is any answer from Sony.

Working on this "as fast as humanly possible" is a lie because it does not take weeks on end to either remove the Mountie from being in the way or write a patch that fixed it.

Not only the time to "write a patch" has to be factored into it, but they also have to QA the patch to make sure whatever fix they put in doesn't break something else in the game (how pissed off would you be for them to release a patch removing the Mountie only to have the patch also - inexplicably - create a new game breaking bug 10 minutes of game play later?)

Given that they're probably trying to fix as many of the big bugs as they can, they're probably doing a lot of fixes and QA over the last few weeks.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I also have the O Canada issue. Mine is he will not take the bear pelts from me. I have the ps3 disc version and patched the game before playing. I have loved this game and am now extremely disappointed. I can no longer recommend this game for $60 like I was before this happened. I really hope this gets resolved soon.

petition.  get money back, or compensated.  this is just retarded at this point.  judging by how high the % is of players effected, and the fact its not console specific..... leads me to believe without the shadow of a doubt that this game was ether not tested AT ALL, tested ONLY on PC, or was run through one time and they just so happen to be the lucky 10% to not see the glitch.  if i had to guess i would say it was tested on PC, as even the control scheme SCREAMS "meant for a PC" 

paid 60 bucks for a product.  you didnt deliver said product.  give me my damn money back or some cool free ****.  Im sure the entire SOT fanbase probably has my back on that.

• Like 1

To be fair, I only got one glitch in the game which involved the font becoming unreadable. Which happened like 3 minutes into the game when Cartman is trying to explain turn based combat.

Note, I backed up save states outside of the autosave feature to leave a trail of game saves I could go back to.  Ended up not needing any of them.

But - again to be fair - I'd heard people having the O Canada! bug before I started playing so I knew to do the quest, as it was, without deviating.  Left exploring heavily until after I'd gotten through the quest part, so I know I missed that bug through prior knowledge other players might not have had.

Funny you should mention the PC "control scheme" since the people in an earlier thread about the difficulty of doing the "button mashing" claimed the game was made for a console control scheme...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah I'm having the same problem with the Earl of Winnipeg saying something about dire bear pelts and making a robe and when I go to fight the dire bear in the top right corner of the city the guard won't let me past. I just bought this game 2 days ago and I downloaded the patch before I played. I also believe I spoke with the Canadian guards before the Earl. I didn't know about this bug and thought I just needed to level up more or something, so I saved multiple times after the glitch and have no way of going back to redo unless I start completely over. If you guys could fix this it would be great.

D.McMurry - All we want is a few more details.  Understand you are working on it as we have known that for weeks.

Do you have any ETA?

Have you been able to reproduce?

Do you have a fix in mind?  

Is it a high level fix for you guys?

Is there something specific that is taking so long to fix?

If we could get some kind of progress update every few days that would help too.