I've really never understood the hours = value argument, because every other media is waaaay more expensive in that regard.  If it is a quality game, you should pay the retail price because that is your most powerful tool as a consumer.  Buy the games you want to see more of.

Gamers are cheap bastards always looking for excuses to pirate stuff. Granted 15 hour long game isn't normally something that I would gladly pay the full price for, but in rare cases the actual experience while playing the game is just miles ahead of your average games.

As an example Alan Wake cost me about 50 euros, it took me about 10 hours to finish it. The game has no replay value at all for me. Okay, I kinda knew what I was getting when I'm buying a Remedy game. I had fun playing the game and I threw in my support for a Finnish gaming company, but still I felt like I overpaid a bit, but that's mostly because the other 2 games I bought around the same time had so much more stuff to do and were in general better games as well (Alpha Protocol and Red Dead Redemption).

South Park is an another "shortish" game (well at least for an crpg), but overall the experience had me laughing more out loud than pretty much all of my other games combined. At least to me it's impossible to put some "value" over such rare feat that a game has me laughing in tears. Am I sad that the game was "only" 15 hours. Yes, because i enjoyed it that much that I would have wanted it to last longer. But do I feel like I was robbed off 40 euros? Hell no, I could go and watch 10 random comedy movies and I would not laugh as much and have this much fun and I would be a lot poorer.

Generally my rule is: Buy the games you truly wish to support day 1. Rest of the games you can get later on from Steam sales. It's not like they will stop making generic shooters if I don't buy them day 1.

Edited by Flouride
  • Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

Generally my rule is: Buy the games you truly wish to support day 1. Rest of the games you can get later on from Steam sales. It's not like they will stop making generic shooters if I don't buy them day 1.

This.

If you aren't a SP fan or an Obsidian supporter, and are only interested in games that satisfy your hours-to-dollars-spent ratio, then it might be better it to wait for a sale.

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Worth every penny in my opinion. This is probably the only video game based on TV (or movies ) that is done right. I am glad obsidian took over the development of this game, THQ was great but i don't think they could have done such an amazing job (metro last light anyone?)

So if you love the TV show, you will definitely love this game.

My big thing is replayability, and I don't think 60 bucks is worth a game that you'll play for 3-4 days max and then maybe play it again in a couple of months just because, but doesn't have any reason that you say "Hey, I feel like playing this right now" after you've beaten it

Yes but if you compare Stick of Truth's 16 hours of quality, with good quests, good voice acting, lots of well thought out ironic humor, versus Skyrims 200+ hours of quantity, with generic random fetch quests, generic wooden voice acting, lots of backtracking, and no real emotions felt for your victories, then I consider their values to be on par.

Yes.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It is a really fun game, but in terms of the amount of content compared to other AAA games, the pricetag seems to be based more on the South Park brand than how much time you'll get out of it. It is a really fun game, and it has some replayability with the different classes and hardcore difficulty, but it still has some trouble justifying the price. I mean, comparing the complexity and size of the environments of The Stick of Truth and TES: Skyrim, there is no reason why I'm paid the same price. I loved the game but... eh.