PC Controller Support

GrimRadke

Question

Ok you guys great game but get your team to add in Controller support for this game on the PC version! Most frustrating time of my life is using a keyboard and mouse to play this game without a controller. 

22 answers to this question

hello.  

im having issues with the controller as well.  downloaded game on steam.  using a xbox 360 wired controller.  controller works perfectly for FFXIV.  Controller works perfectly for Stick of Truth until I reach my first tutorial fight.  allows me to take my first battle action but when it comes back to my turn and i have to select something from the action radial controller is unresponsive.  lights are still on, no hardware disconnect sounds just doesnt work.  neither does the mouse at that point.  if i disconnect the controller USB, mouse and keyboard immediately begin working. if I reconnect the controller it works fine again until i finish my attack and block....get back to select action radial... unresponsive again.  help?

im trying a full uninstall and reinstall right now.

(by the way if im patient enough to finish a fight that way....open world and menus all work fine again after the fight.  can loot, shoot stuff with bow and arrow....take a dump...>:D   just no fighting )

okay so its working now!  not sure which part fixed it but heres what i did -

installed most up to date driver for xbox controller (probably wasnt needed but meh)

restarted comp

uninstalled/reinstalled Stick of Truth

Steam cloud saved my checkpoint thankfully so I'm right back where i was.

So far two successful battles without that weird radial error which is two more than I could do before.  yay!!  now i get to have me some fun

K well.... it started doing it again only now its doing in on the map randomly when i interact with things. started bugging when i broke a cabinet in tweeks coffee and now just about everything i touch kills the controller.  Whats extra fun is occasionally it kills my controller and my keyboard and I have to power my computer off because I cant do anything or tab out..  frustrating to say the least. 

K well.... it started doing it again only now its doing in on the map randomly when i interact with things. started bugging when i broke a cabinet in tweeks coffee and now just about everything i touch kills the controller.  Whats extra fun is occasionally it kills my controller and my keyboard and I have to power my computer off because I cant do anything or tab out..  frustrating to say the least. 

Sorry you're having trouble with the controller. I use an xbox360 wired controller to play the game on PC as well, so it is definitely supported.

Have you tried running in compatibility mode for windows 7?

Can you post your dxdiag?

Are there other applicaitons running that may be interfering? 

https://twitter.com/IridiumGameDev

Ex-Obsidian Senior Programmer

Ok you guys great game but get your team to add in Controller support for this game on the PC version! Most frustrating time of my life is using a keyboard and mouse to play this game without a controller. 

What controller are you trying to use? 

Sorry you're having trouble with the controller. I use an xbox360 wired controller to play the game on PC as well, so it is definitely supported.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/45wzt6vi0pgrjhs/DxDiag.txt

I was running a few things last night while playing but I tried again this morning with nothing else running and had the same problem.  Im downloading the game on my other PC now to see if if runs any better.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/45wzt6vi0pgrjhs/DxDiag.txt

I was running a few things last night while playing but I tried again this morning with nothing else running and had the same problem.  Im downloading the game on my other PC now to see if if runs any better.  

Alright. It looks like you're using an afterglow 360 controller, not the Microsoft 360 wired controller. Sadly, I'm seeing a lot of people have problems with using this device on windows (with lots of games).

Some things to try:

1. Apparently there is a reset pin on the controller. It should be a button in a tiny pinhole that you can use a paperclip to press. Hold it down for a few seconds. This will reset the controller.

2. Check your driver:

Start -> Control Panel -> Hardware and sound -> Device manager. You should be able to find your Afterglow controller here. 

Right click -> update driver software -> browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> select XBOX 360 controller for windows version 2.1.0.1349 (or newer - mine is dated 8/13/2009 apparently). We do not want to run an afterglow specific driver if possible.

3. Longshot but.. Some people are reporting that this device conflicts with other USB devices. If you have any other extra non-mouse/keyboard devices plugged into USB, try unplugging them and restarting. 

J.Burke

Hello. I love this game. It's beyond fantastic!

However, I would like to play using my keyboard and mouse...and remap the keys.

As there are no options to do so:

A) Will this be addressed in a patch for PC?

B) Can you email me (if you don't want it posted publicly) the location of the .ini file containing the key mappings so I can map them manually myself?

Thank you for your time!

Shimonhead

Hey, Guys!

I have a real bug-issue on my hands. 

After one of the boss fights, won't mention it in case of spoiler, my screen goes black and it says loading but im "actually" still in the game. I can hear my character moving and I can swing my weapon aswell. How can I fix this?

Hey, Guys!

I have a real bug-issue on my hands. 

After one of the boss fights, won't mention it in case of spoiler, my screen goes black and it says loading but im "actually" still in the game. I can hear my character moving and I can swing my weapon aswell. How can I fix this?

Spoilers are allowed here. :)

The devs could help better if they know where in the game you are.

Edited by C2B

Shimonhead, on 06 Mar 2014 - 3:35 PM, said:

J.Burke

Hello. I love this game. It's beyond fantastic!

However, I would like to play using my keyboard and mouse...and remap the keys.

As there are no options to do so:

A) Will this be addressed in a patch for PC?

B) Can you email me (if you don't want it posted publicly) the location of the .ini file containing the key mappings so I can map them manually myself?

Thank you for your time!

Shimonhead

Gee...thanks a whole hell of a lot for your help, Burke. Really appreciate it.

Oh okey! haha Well I'm at the Clyde(?) Battle, the one who duplicates himself and the cows and ****. And after that fight, the screen just goes black and I've tried restarting the game and killing him like 3-4 times, but the same thing everytime :(

Please help<3

I am having this issue as well. My Saitek P990 USB Controller is not detected by the game at all no matter if I have it plugged in before starting the game, also updated drivers as well. The game simply detects nothing but the keyboard.

So, I'd like to share this with others who might have controller issues. As I was downloading the game on steam, I went out and bought a really cheap pc controller (i dont got my xbox or ps3 controllers at my flat currently), but discovered that the game only support 'proper' controllers  that map to direct input, my cheap controller used an older input setup that wasn't supported.

That's not so hard to get around tough. There's a cool project @ https://code.google.com/p/x360ce/ that maps the input to direct input so that my controller would appear as a 360 controller. It took me some time to set it up, but after 15 minutes I was able to get it working perfectly, all buttons and axises worked.

Basically, there are three files on the project, one containing the actual program and two containing either 32 bit or 64 bit dll's. As this game, like most games, are 32 bit, you'll need the 32 bit ones.

Put the program in the same folder as the game, this is in steams Steam\SteamApps\common\South Park - The Stick of Truth for most people. You could put the dll's there too, or put it at %Allusersprofile%\X360CE (%Allusersprofile% will link to C:\ProgramData for most people).

Once this is done, start the x360ce.exe program and remap your controller, you will be able to test on screen. You should probably make sure to save the profiles once its setup, but it will automatically use the last one.

These setting will automatically be loaded once you start the game, if you need to reconfigure something you'll need to restart the game. Once you load up the game it will actually show a warning message, that stems from a lacking line in the programs ini file, but I purposedly didnt fix it in my setup as it lets me know it loaded the bindings.

I hope this will help others that might have issues with unsupported controllers, as I had a blast playing trough the game with my controller, even tough it wasn't supported.

I also have to add to the end as I just finished the game, this is probably the first time I've seen Obsidian ship a game with this level of polish, I'm quite amazed considering the rough shape some of their previous titles have been.

I am battling this to the point that it is ruining gameplay.   The XBOX360 controller works in some sequences, in others it is so wonky that it is almost unusable.   Thanks to tips, I got past the anal probe sequence (pressing A and also "S" on the keyboard at the same time)  But sequences that require timing are just not possible.  As a result, characters like Timmy are unusable.. I can't even get close to nailing his 'tunes' as often the controller just doesn't respond.

I'm using an official Microsoft brand XBOX360 Controller for windows (Wired).   Since the controller works wonky/behind, 'blocking' in this game is almost impossible.  Sometimes it works, most of the time not, and when it works it's just from mashing and getting lucky.

I'd be OK to consider going to the keyboard/mouse, but the steam purchase and help screens don't give me a very effective keyboard map of 'what does what' so I'm a bit lost as to where to go there.

Right now, I'm stuck in the abortion clinic.. just getting past the first needle punch is a crapshoot because the scree responds sometimes, doens't others.. annoying as all hell.

Well I got my controls to work but now my axis are backwards despite they are configured correctly in xbox360ce

Did you set them to be inverted? I had to invert the vertical axsises I think to make them work the way I wanted? Look at the axis menu, there should be an inverted axis submenu

Well I got my controls to work but now my axis are backwards despite they are configured correctly in xbox360ce

Did you set them to be inverted? I had to invert the vertical axsises I think to make them work the way I wanted? Look at the axis menu, there should be an inverted axis submenu

I did not see an option for inverting them to make it work correctly.