Where are the pc options? locked at 30 fps? No keybindings? graphic options?

So the game just unlocked and as any pc gamer does the first thing you normally do is go into the options to tweak the grpahics and set up things.

First thing I noticed...there are no graphical options, at all, no AA, no vsync, nothing, just resolution choice.

Second thing I notice, it's locked at 30 fps? We can't even play this game at 60 fps if oour computers could surely handle it?

Then I look for the controls to see what buttons do what and to setup what I want to do.

There are no keybindings/control options...

So I go to start the game and hope for the best, have to take a quick break and I hit esc, come back and go to click on resume....and it doesn't allow you to use the mouse? You have to use the arrow keys to move around the menu (in game when you hit esc).

It's almost like this game wasn't even tested on the PC. Like no one played it on the pc and figured that pc players would like to be able to use their mouse and play at 60fps or simple things that the most basic pc games do.

This isn't a comment on the game itself, but rather the lack of options and simple things that a pc gamer should have in any pc game. Especially coming form Obsidian who have made some of the greatest PC rpgs, I just don't see how such simple things were overlooked for the pc version of the game.

No keybindings is a shame, but there's a reason it's lockrd at 30 fps. Due to the way animations work, 60 fps would look nothing like South Park itself.

Sprite-based a la the Infinity Engine games, (or, in other words, there's only so many frames per animation, so by increasing the FPS, you increase the game speed)?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

AP wasn't particularly well integrated on the PC either - just something you have to live with. Give up full PC integration or give up the gave completely I guess. Though as others have stated in regards to the 30fps lock, I'm not sure why you'd need to play this game at 60fps even if it looked right. 

Well if they're trying to replicate the look of the current show, digital TV is 60fps! Maybe the game is trying to emulate the days of analogue TV back when the show debuted being at 25/29.97fps interlaced. :p

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I wish I had known that you couldn't remap the keys.  I lost most of my left arm in Afghanistan so I use a TrackIR for mouselook and I like to use the numpad for movement controls.  It's easier than having to twist myself to reach across my torso to get to the WASD keys.  I would not have purchased this game had I known there was no way to remap controls.

No keybindings is a shame, but there's a reason it's lockrd at 30 fps. Due to the way animations work, 60 fps would look nothing like South Park itself.

Sprite-based a la the Infinity Engine games, (or, in other words, there's only so many frames per animation, so by increasing the FPS, you increase the game speed)?

Has to do with how animations work. One of the first videos of the game was about it.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/04/wot-i-think-south-park-the-stick-of-truth/

They liked the game but poor tutorial and pc options are noted. It is a shame that the pc crowd gets snubbed again. Key-bindings and controller/keyboard choice are just basics, but I guess that quality control is money Ubisoft are not willing to spend.

Mind you this could just be poor design choices on Obsidian's part.

Edited by Tuckey

Well if they're trying to replicate the look of the current show, digital TV is 60fps! Maybe the game is trying to emulate the days of analogue TV back when the show debuted being at 25/29.97fps interlaced. :p

Well... no. The vast majority of content on TV is still 24 fps. South Park is definitely not made at any higher frame rate than that. Any differences you've detected in frame rates in the past few years is likely due to certain HDTV's with high refresh rates having a motion interpolation feature enabled by default. This makes the TV render extra frames, effectively doubling the frame rate of the 24 fps content it's receiving.

Anyway, the game is likely locked at 30 fps because it's trying to emulate the show as closely as possible. That, and a lot of the more complicated cutscenes are pre-rendered with your character being actively rendered on top of it, so increasing the frame rate wouldn't do any good there.

• Like 1

Well... no. The vast majority of content on TV is still 24 fps. South Park is definitely not made at any higher frame rate than that. Any differences you've detected in frame rates in the past few years is likely due to certain HDTV's with high refresh rates having a motion interpolation feature enabled by default. This makes the TV render extra frames, effectively doubling the frame rate of the 24 fps content it's receiving.

Anyway, the game is likely locked at 30 fps because it's trying to emulate the show as closely as possible. That, and a lot of the more complicated cutscenes are pre-rendered with your character being actively rendered on top of it, so increasing the frame rate wouldn't do any good there.

Yes and no, it's a mix of both, but yeah in that I have no idea what South Park is recorded at (I don't watch the show). There's a reason motion interpolation is dubbed the "soap opera effect". I defer to AVS:

In the US AIUI the following is how things usually work :

24Hz capture for scripted drama, many (but not all) sitcoms and some (but not all) documentaries. These days 1080/24p (even for material broadcast 720p on ABC and Fox) or 24fps film acquisition is the norm, though it is possible to shoot 720/24p (and shows like the original Arrested Development did this)

60Hz capture at 60i/60p (also known as i30/p60) native for entertainment (almost universally), sport, news (though some field reports may be store & forwarded at lower frame rates), some (but not all) documentaries, some (but not all) soap operas and some (but not all) sitcoms. This can be 1080/60i or 720/60p conventionally. 1080/60p is possible for acquisition but is not yet used for broadcast. Both will deliver 60Hz motion, though 60i trades off vertical resolution against motion resolution (so the resolution for moving content is lower than static) Motion will appear much smoother on 60Hz native capture material than on 24Hz native capture.

30Hz capture using 30p is also possible, and I believe is used in some situations in the US, but AIUI it is more of a niche solution.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

2D games often have very few options when it comes to graphics, in some cases not even letting you set the resolution (Fallout 1 and 2, for instance).  I wasn't expecting anything different with Stick of Truth.  It's probably rendered like a traditional 2D game as well, so it makes sense that it's locked at 30FPS.

The lack of customizable controls is a bit of a head scratcher, though, and I'd appreciate seeing it added in a patch.

Has to do with how animations work. One of the first videos of the game was about it.

Could you link to it, since I'm curious? I must confess to not liking South Park, but I'm interested in that particular facet if they explain it.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Could you link to it, since I'm curious? I must confess to not liking South Park, but I'm interested in that particular facet if they explain it.

• Like 2

The fps is not important. Due to lower set of graphics it will play on a wider set of rigs so higher sales. The game is a total 6gig install so from that i knew it would be limited in the graphics department but hey its true to the tv program so am happy.

I have a powerful machine and a few low spec laptops and see no issues in either rig when playing this game.

I am a major graphics nerd for my games but this format works for me.

The key binding is a dropped ball for me, as it would easily be implimented i feel, maybies a mod is possible later or even a way of messing about with ini files.

To me when i play i am watching an episode of southpark interactively and well the simple way the game is made works. And this means dlc and expansions will be fast to create too.

Fingers crossed a few tweeks are done to make it easier for people to play with control issues.

You can unlock the 30FPS in your user.ini by setting vsync to -1 (default 1), but there's horrible tearing in the game.

vsync is just kind of to keep everything in place here. I do notice a huge difference in the smoothness of running around town and the blurriness when running with vsync disabled, but I can't do with the tearing.

Edited by Bazgrim

the simple way the game is made works. And this means dlc and expansions will be fast to create too.

It's not "simple made"

:/

It's "that takes no effort to implent* all over again :/

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Thanks. :)