Why is the PC unlock so late in the day?

According to the Steam store page the game does not unlock until 1PM Eastern. Has there been any post as to why this is? Most game stores open at 10AM and because this is a SteamWorks game even if you buy a hard copy you still cant play it until 1PM.

I believe it is because of Valve's working schedules. Games on Steam are without exception(?) unlocked at the same time (10AM PST / 1PM EST / 6PM UTC etc.)

I'v had several games unlock at midnight or 3AM or even 10AM eastern. There does not appear to be a rhyme or reason to it. I assume it is up the the publisher or developer.

According to the Steam store page the game does not unlock until 1PM Eastern. Has there been any post as to why this is? Most game stores open at 10AM and because this is a SteamWorks game even if you buy a hard copy you still cant play it until 1PM.

Steam games usually unlock at 1 PM EST.  I can't remember the last game that unlocked at a different time.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It sounds like Valve used to charge extra for midnight releases. I'm assuming not that many companies wish to bite anymore, or Valve has just stopped doing them all together.

If they can't get an offline mode right, chances are adding a time to an automatic release date is beyond their capabilities as well.

EDIT: It is now set to midnight EST for NA customers.

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

It sounds like Valve used to charge extra for midnight releases. I'm assuming not that many companies wish to bite anymore, or Valve has just stopped doing them all together.

If they can't get an offline mode right, chances are adding a time to an automatic release date is beyond their capabilities as well.

EDIT: It is now set to midnight EST for NA customers.

Great news. Guess someone realized releasing a game in the late afternoon was a terrible idea.